some realism in the movie

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

some realism in the movie

Post by Boomerang »

I'll admit the movie has alot of problems with it bt their are some things realistic in it. The simulator they used for their camp mission is still their its the Discovery in the back of the training center. And some of the day to day stuff at camp is fairly realistic as to what its like at camp. But also keep in mind none of us went to space camp in 1985 when the movie was filmed so we dont really know what it was like then. Some obvious diffrences are the old training center, some things in the museum that arent their anymore and the obvious absense of the Habs which were'nt yet built. Also notice in the movie you never see Atlantis or Enterprise (Then known as challenger) thats because the interior of Atlantis was used for filming the seens inside the shuttle in space and the cargo bay of the Enterprise as i said then known as challenger was used for filming the cargo bay shots in space.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I never knew all the stuff about were they filmed everything!! Thanx for the info!!!
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

where did campers sleep before the habs were built?
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
space academy - team calypso
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
advanced space academy - team von braun
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

The movie shows them in an area below the cafeteria in the museum. I dont know how acurate this is but i have noticed the door that the boys in the movie used to go to their sleeping area is still their so their is room under their i guess. And the movie may have been acurate in that regard. I'm really not sure i dont know anyone who went in that time frame. The info i knew about them using certain sims for filming the movie comes from someone who i know whos son worked on the movie crew.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador