Split: It'd be Great if they Made a new Space Camp Movie!

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

I had my EDM on Mexican Wedesday only once....now get this...It took so long for our pizza to get there that we actually ate the food. THat is how hungry we were....we willingly ate Mexican Wednesday food when we knew something else was coming....eventually...
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

eeww!! I can't believe you WILLINGLY ate Mexican Wednesday... I would never do that... I hate mexican food, unless it's home cooked (by our Irish friends, ironically...), so I usually won't eat it at all... And cafeteria-made, it's even worse... However, I'm sure that it's Mexican Wednesday's fault that all the counselors (and the "regulars" for the campers) are crazy....
AC M2/M2-12 day counselor 05/06 Repeat
AC MIII W 43-03 (Jolly Rogers)
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
AC MIII W 49-01 (Silver Eagles)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MIII 47-00 (Gun Slingers)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
Emazon
Camper
Camper

Post by Emazon »

Ah, Mexican Wednesday isn't that bad. Well, the effects AFTERWARDS are, if you have a lot of guys on your team, (Essence of Lotus, ICK!).
The pizza was better than Mexican, though. And I have to say, the Pizza they have at the food court, Red Baron pizza, that was WONDERFUL... Maybe it was the name(I'm obsessed with The Red Baron), or maybe it was the fact that I'd been eating pure crap for the last two weeks, but MMMMMMmmm... My da' and I went and got some pizza after he picked me up, Pizza and an Icie while we waited for my Martinez original to dry.
"I ride the Short Orbiter to Space!"
"HEY! HO! LETS GO!"
"Stipper! STIPPER!"

One time SA Spacebowl Champ 1999
One time ASA MS Award Champ 2001
One time Mach 3 Admiral's Cup Champ 2002
One time ASA Area 51 Champ 2003
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Aww the Martinez guy was so cool! I was going to buy something except for whatever reason he was sick the last three days I was there...
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

i bought a liscense plate, even though NYS requires you to have both front and back liscense plates, because I don't plan to use it on my car. I'm gonna hang it up in my dorm room, next to my "Fly Navy" liscense plate. I just figured that the metal wouldn't bend as much as a paper one might, and I didn't want it to get destroyed on the way home.
AC M2/M2-12 day counselor 05/06 Repeat
AC MIII W 43-03 (Jolly Rogers)
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
AC MIII W 49-01 (Silver Eagles)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MIII 47-00 (Gun Slingers)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

I just wish I could have bought some of it. How sad... I wanted to get a license plate thingy too because the one I have on my car right now is kinda dead....
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

I have a copy of the proposed scipt from back in 1996 and 1997 of the Space Camp sequel. As a memeber of the first Space Camp class and an extra in the first movie...I am please to say that this thing will never be made. It was the worst idea possible. That's all I'll say.
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

U.S Space Camp - 1982-1988
Aviation Challenge Staff /Program Manager - 1996-2004
Knight 3, Commander 77th TFS 1999-2004
AstroGirl
Camper
Camper

Post by AstroGirl »

spacecampaddict28 wrote:Yeah I think camp or academy would be better though. For a CHILDREN'S movie. I think the ASA experience may not be quite g rated.
Ha ha now are you guy's breaking the PDA rule again? Tisk tisk :lol:
A new movie would be good, it could be like all those cliche teenage movies but for nerds!
"Kiss my aft!"
"OMFG The bus is on fire!"
SA Allied Signal 1999
ASA Shepard 2001
ASA Tereshkova 2002
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

The language might have a slight effect on the rating as well.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Exactly, it would show what ASA is really like and it wouldn't be a movie for kids. It someone would make it, it would definetly improve Space Camp's image and draw in visitors.
Ad astra per aspera.
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Spanky wrote:I have a copy of the proposed scipt from back in 1996 and 1997 of the Space Camp sequel. As a memeber of the first Space Camp class and an extra in the first movie...I am please to say that this thing will never be made. It was the worst idea possible. That's all I'll say.
I remember when we found the script. What a terrible, terrible idea. I'm with you Spanky...my lips are sealed.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Post by Deimos »

I think it would be cool to have the movie a smile as big as the moon, but still, i don't know about it since it kinda puts spacecamp in a bad light...
Space Academy
Week 40- Deimos June 26-July 1st 2005
Advanced Space Academy
Week 42- Von Tiesenhausen July 2-7 2006
Week 41- Von Tiesenhausen July 1-6 2007
Week 40 - Goddard June 27- July 4th 2008
Adult Space Academy
October 10-13th 2014 Team Discovery
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Post by Deimos »

HAHA on mexican wednesday i just eat all the taco shells, they're not bad, it's the stuff in them i don't like, so i just get empty ones and eat them heh, they're pretty good.
Space Academy
Advanced Space Academy
Adult Space Academy
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Post by Deimos »

Sandrat wrote:
Spanky wrote:I have a copy of the proposed scipt from back in 1996 and 1997 of the Space Camp sequel. As a memeber of the first Space Camp class and an extra in the first movie...I am please to say that this thing will never be made. It was the worst idea possible. That's all I'll say.
I remember when we found the script. What a terrible, terrible idea. I'm with you Spanky...my lips are sealed.
Where did you find the proposed script?
Space Academy
Advanced Space Academy
Adult Space Academy
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

LB206 wrote:They did make a movie about space camp although i would call it anything but realistic. And another one is in the works based on the book A Smile As Big as the Moon.
Are you sure there making it, but I saw that too.
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
Joker
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Joker »

Deimos wrote:Where did you find the proposed script?
I found one in the bottom drawer of an old desk I inherited. I kid you not.
U.S. Space Camp, May 1985
Aviation Challenge Staff, 1996-1997
"Livin' in fear's just another way of dyin' before your time." -- Drive-By Truckers
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

Benji wrote:I think that's a good idea, but it'd probably have to be Academy or Camp teams because most ASA stuff would be too... inapproprate.
What do you mean innapropriate? If it is language, On my trip
( Space CAMP ), a kid from russia said "what the h*ll? " during landing on the first mission, and "this is f*cking awesome!" on space shot.
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

It kind of does put Space Camp in a bad light, showing it as a typical bureaucratic organization (but I suppose they could soften that a lot-- make the problem the school district and so on and disbelief rather than resistance from Space Camp.)

Btw, I think they have changed their image from a group that will only take the best and brightest. (hey they took ya'll and me :-)). When I was there there was a kid with cystic fibrosis (took 75 pills a day). Also I have heard that Aspergers (high functioning autistic kids) and ADHD is kind of par for the course now.

A friend of mine had a parents group for high functioning autistic kids back a number of years ago. And one of the parents called and said my kid is autistic and he does such and such. They told him "Hey, they're all like that!"

Anyway I found it inspiring. I was a bit irritated with coach.

The website that is in the book has remained unchanged for years. SO I wonder if they really do plan to do the movie. I know many projects are started and never really get completed. I think that this movie would be a little less "kid stuff". Though I did enjoy Space Camp the movie in a high camp (meanign I actually don't think it's such a good movie, in fact, it isn't good at alll, but its one thing I like about it. :-))

--des
Deimos wrote:I think it would be cool to have the movie a smile as big as the moon, but still, i don't know about it since it kinda puts spacecamp in a bad light...
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually we get alot of kids with all types of disorders here you should see this weeks medications list outside of sickbay. And we have one boy here with asbergers this week and atleast one more still to come.

As for the movie it is a go they are working on the script last i heaerd. I met the author 2 years ago and his wife currently runs the UAT here at camp. There is a posty under the camp section here talking about it. HHowever the info in the book is incorrect on a couple things. Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney have been dropped due to conflicts in the script and the way it was turning. that was done 2 years ago i have heard the working title for the movie is Einsteins Children.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Well from the stuff I have read here. I am guessing there are more than a few Asperger kids. :-) I am guessing some of YOU are Asperger kids. (It takes one to know one, I should point out.) You should have said DIAGNOSED. :-p

Well I am glad they are working on the movie. At least the movie is more accurate than "Space Camp". I just went to the website http://www.spaceisspecial.org
and it has been updated.

The guy I am working with for my simulator does work with special ed. kids. There are several programs around the country, Starbase is one, which work with at risk kids.

--des
Boomerang wrote:Actually we get alot of kids with all types of disorders here you should see this weeks medications list outside of sickbay. And we have one boy here with asbergers this week and atleast one more still to come.

As for the movie it is a go they are working on the script last i heaerd. I met the author 2 years ago and his wife currently runs the UAT here at camp. There is a posty under the camp section here talking about it. HHowever the info in the book is incorrect on a couple things. Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney have been dropped due to conflicts in the script and the way it was turning. that was done 2 years ago i have heard the working title for the movie is Einsteins Children.