Problems with DVD

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

REDBeckyD
Counselor
Counselor

Problems with DVD

Post by REDBeckyD »

I had purchased a copy of "SpaceCamp" on DVD when it first came out, and had no problems with it until earlier this year... I had originally thought that it was my own computer that had the issues, but have since realized that it is actually the disc, unfortunately. I just found a used copy at a local movie store, and when I brought it home, it, too, didn't work!

I am getting ready to send a letter to the company, but first I wanted to know if anyone else had had any problems with a copy of the DVD.
Academy II, Spring 1996
ASA, Christmas Camp 1997-1998

ASA Counselor, 2001 and 2003
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Never!

What sort of problems have you been having exactly?
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I haven't had any problems with mine either.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
REDBeckyD
Counselor
Counselor

Post by REDBeckyD »

For both discs it's been the same problem, and one that has emerged SINCE I've had it - the original used to work fine... Both DVD players and a number of DVD-ROMs will register either disc - it's incredibly strange. They just can't read the disc, and neither are scratched or visibly damaged.

The worst part though, is that - according to Amazon, at least - the DVD is no longer being produced...

Oh, well - if no one else is having a problem, it must just be bad luck on my part. :cry:
Academy II, Spring 1996

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I hadnt heard anything about not selling them anymore. Maybe i should check my DVD to make sure but its only been a couple of months or so since i watched it last and it wasnt having any problems at the time.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
shenandoah04
Counselor
Counselor

Re: Problems with DVD

Post by shenandoah04 »

Yes, I had problems with it, too. Actually, what I did was go back to the video store and just get VHS, because I have problems with most DVDs I use... what the man at the video store said was that the disc is not clean and that you have to clean it off... there are actual cleaners to use on them, but I use soap and water now (probably not the best thing but it works :D ) and then I can watch the rest of the video just fine...my answer's probably a bit late but I hope it helped you anyway :) [
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I believe CD cleaners that they sell for music cds will also work for cleaning DVD's.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Same here

Post by ApolloXI »

:P Today I got the DVD guess what? It was less than 45 min later from leaving the store, I poped the disc in nothing happened. Than I tried the DVD-Rom I have, still didn't work. I returned it to the store and they are ordering one from thier warehouse. As some of you know that I have not seen it and the wait is almost over. I just hope that if they do come out with a new DVD that it will last longer.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Well, the DVD is now out of print so I'll be really surprised if they can get another one in.

...though the warehouse could still have some in stock...
REDBeckyD
Counselor
Counselor

Post by REDBeckyD »

Chris - Like I said before, I now have two copies that don't work in both my DVD player, and in my DVD-ROMs... I think we should do something about this. I also think that other folks might want to test their copies - my original disc worked for about a year, and then quit. The new copy didn't work as soon as I got it home that night.

If I found an address - either snail mail or e-mail - would people be interested in writing to the company?
Academy II, Spring 1996

Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

You can probably get the DVD through eBay if you've worked with them before. I've seen dozens of Region 2 copies (which does me no good, but I like their cover art!) on eBay.

Also, my disc continues to work just fine. I've not had one problem with it since I got it. But then, I've only watched it once too *gasp*.

I had similar trouble with the "Sneakers" DVD. When I put it in, it went directly to the middle of the movie. And, every time I selected a chapter (even if it was the first chapter), the movie still went to the middle. I purchased about 3 of them before giving up on it. So, I would assume that it is possible that some of the copies are bad.

I just don't understand how a disc works fine for a year and then suddenly doesn't... that makes no sense.
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
REDBeckyD
Counselor
Counselor

Post by REDBeckyD »

I agree, it really does not make sense, but I talked a couple of buddies in CS who said that it was possible to code the discs to deactivate after a particular date. I have no idea, but I will definitely e-mail the company. Thank you for posting that information on the front page! :)
Academy II, Spring 1996

Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

Do let us know what the company says.

I'm curious to know what they have to say about it and whether or not they acknowledge there is a problem in the discs. Like I said, mine works fine... but I've only watched it once. So, I'm interested to know for sure whether there's a problem =)
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Good News

Post by ApolloXI »

Yesterday I went and got a new copy it worked. The thing is I think the coating they used was cheap because I rember looking on the bottom of the old disk the gold color was bad. The new disk has complete gold.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

I'm still surprised that SpaceCamp isn't an Artisan release. I mean, Vestron was sold to Live Entertainment, which kinda became Artisan. Artisan does own many old Vestron, LIVE and Carolco titles. I was quite amazed when SpaceCamp appeared on Video under Supra/Summa video in 1994, but who was I to argue. The only copy I had was a copy of the 1987 Vestron release... "Bum bum bum... BUM.. BUMBUM!"

Sorry, the Vestron fanfare is my favorite. I even recorded it as an opening for when my computer turns on. lol.

Anyway, so... maybe I'll ask Anchor Bay what it plans to do with the title... I wonder how well it sold :p
Mdanner423
Counselor
Counselor

R2 DVD

Post by Mdanner423 »

Hey,

I just ordered the Region 2/PAL version from amazon.co.uk for 11 bucks USD!

Since my computer can play any region, its beats paying 65 bucks on one that might not work.
-Matthew
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well unfortunately my DVD is having problems because someone other than me left it out of its case and it got seriously scratched up. But it seems to work ok as long as you play something else first in the dvd player.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Emazon
Camper
Camper

Post by Emazon »

Becky told me that by coming here, I could figure out how to get mine replaced, which doesn't work(My PS2 says it's dirty, and my DVD player said it is incompatable with the friggin' machine). Obviously I'm not the only one who's had problems with it, :evil: and I've never ever seen the movie, and I really want to. I mean, what kind of person can I be if I've been to Space Camp 7 years in a row and never seen the fargin' movie? (Other than a few clipped scenes I saw in the bookstore-The very beginning and the one with the MAT)
But yeah, how do I get it replaced?
"I ride the Short Orbiter to Space!"
"HEY! HO! LETS GO!"
"Stipper! STIPPER!"

One time SA Spacebowl Champ 1999
One time ASA MS Award Champ 2001
One time Mach 3 Admiral's Cup Champ 2002
One time ASA Area 51 Champ 2003
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

I posted how in April, but seeing as how it only stays on the front page for a month, I guess I really should've posted it here!

From the news:

Some users in the HabForum mention that they were having some troubles with their copies of AnchorBay's now discontinued SpaceCamp DVD.

They are aware of the problems and you can send back the disc to get it replaced if you'd like.

Vist http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/a ... sp#Contact for more information including how and where to send in your defective disc to get a new copy.

At the bottom is a message that says "If you have questions regarding defective DVD or VHS product or other issues regarding your recently purchased Anchor Bay products please click here." Just click there!
Emazon
Camper
Camper

Post by Emazon »

Oh, very cool, you are the king, Vincent! This is great, thanks a lot!
:D
"I ride the Short Orbiter to Space!"
"HEY! HO! LETS GO!"
"Stipper! STIPPER!"

One time SA Spacebowl Champ 1999
One time ASA MS Award Champ 2001
One time Mach 3 Admiral's Cup Champ 2002
One time ASA Area 51 Champ 2003