Before the Hab

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Not only is there an expiration date on it but Space Camp hasn't used shuttle bucks for several years now.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Des as far as which Hab you stayed in i also believe it was Hab 1 due to the fact that thats where adults typicly stay.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

You've convinced me, though I don't understand the whole structure thing. The *main building* is Hab 1 and then there are extra floors or something and that is Hab 2? Does it change the outer look of the Hab?
I notice there isn't much any more with pix. Does anybody have recent pix of this. You know what they say, a picture is worth...

--des
LB206 wrote:Des as far as which Hab you stayed in i also believe it was Hab 1 due to the fact that thats where adults typicly stay.
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

Image from SpaceCanada's album:

Habitat 1
http://ibnerd.net/main.php?g2_itemId=3833

Can't find one of Hab 2

Hab 2 is located beside Hab 1 and is only 2 floors - one floor partially underground.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

des wrote:You've convinced me, though I don't understand the whole structure thing. The *main building* is Hab 1 and then there are extra floors or something and that is Hab 2? Does it change the outer look of the Hab?
I notice there isn't much any more with pix. Does anybody have recent pix of this. You know what they say, a picture is worth...

--des
I still have the map of both habs with all the sleep bays that was given out to us when we arrived for my first session in 1989 if you want me to scan that in.

Yes, i kept everything!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

i'd like to see a scan of that.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

As would I!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Ok, digging thru my archives, I found two different diagrams. One is a little easier to read, while the other has some informative notes. Keep in mind, the diagram(s) of Hab II shows both levels, while the Hab I diagram really just shows you the first floor.

1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Oh, FYI, the first diagram comes from 1989 when the Hab first opened. Notice I was housed in Hab II from the notes.

The second diagram comes from 1991, a year after Aviation Challenge already opened.
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

Hotdog wrote:Ok, digging thru my archives, I found two different diagrams. One is a little easier to read, while the other has some informative notes. Keep in mind, the diagram(s) of Hab II shows both levels, while the Hab I diagram really just shows you the first floor.

I am wondering if they have moved sickbay from where it was to the side of Habit II?
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Yes sick bay moved. I know in 91 the only year i ever spent any time in sickbau more than a few minutes anyway it was on the upper level of Hab 2 as shown in the diagram. However when i went to sickbay for my pre dive physical it was on the lower level of Hab 2 instead. Don't know why it moved but it did some time in between. I think its now in thst space just to the right of the pegasus sleep bay.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

the original sick bay was a rather large room, so i imagine they moved the sick bay to the smaller closet-type room so they could use that space to create another Camper sleep bay or activity room? Perhaps this is where the computer/internet lab is that someone mentioned in another thread?
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I remember the computer lab (not sure if I would call it that) as a row of old Macs in an open area. You didn't go thru any doors or anything and you just walked by them. There were registration activities in that room, as I recall. Not all of them but some. I don't know if it was where we picked up the sheets and that sort of thing.

--des
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well the old row of macs is long gone now. I don't know where the current lab or labs are i know in 98 yjere was one up some stairs near the UAT but it was pretty small and i doubt it stayed there all this time.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

When they had the trailers, one of them held the computer lab. When I was there in 2004 they were upstairs in Hab 2.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Yeah, well the old Macs are long gone because they are now "door stops". I'm sure they are in a landfill somewhere. I don't recall any discussion of computer use in the newer camps. I would guess mom and dad do not want to send their kid who sits by the computer all day to go and sit by the computer all day at Space Camp. :-)
I would guess most kids going to space camp are very computer literate. At the time the Macs were out there, computers were novel and not that many people had one.

--des
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

True about the macs though they are probably worth some money to collectors. As for computer use at camp they are still used i mean computers are used heavily by NASA and for some reason Macs seem to be NASA's computer of choice to this day.

And your right even when i went to camp in the early 90s computers werent that common so to use one was cool. Now most people own a computer or 2 or more in some cases in one form or another. Kids use them in school, at home and often at work when they are old enougb to work they arent that big a deal anymore.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Yes, those old black and whites might actually be worth something!
Are computers used that much for info. I forgot about the ISS and that sort of thing, so I am sure they are used in experiments (data recording and so forth) and also for the simulators. But do campers go and do learning software on them? I am guessing no. They had something in the past called PLATO, I have no idea what that stands for, but the computer would drill them on rocketery, etc. and then they would go out and do stuff like build the rockets or launch them.

We didn't have any computers like this. Since I was commander, I wasn't in their version of the space station but there were computers in there.
However, I was in the adult program, but this was when the kids used them. I don't think they did the version of email til later. Btw, it was probably a bbs.

--des
LB206 wrote:True about the macs though they are probably worth some money to collectors. As for computer use at camp they are still used i mean computers are used heavily by NASA and for some reason Macs seem to be NASA's computer of choice to this day.

And your right even when i went to camp in the early 90s computers werent that common so to use one was cool. Now most people own a computer or 2 or more in some cases in one form or another. Kids use them in school, at home and often at work when they are old enougb to work they arent that big a deal anymore.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

The only computer use that i remember specificly that comes to mind for me was in 1998 when we used some kind of siftware when talking about orbital rendevous that taught you basic orbital mechanics but it seems to me we visited the computer lab a few times so i'm thinking there was other stuff too. And that was 9 years ago.

Oh one other one i remember doing with computers was the Virtual Reality Mars Rovers/ I know they dont do them anymore though. But we used the computers to design the rovers we would be controling in virtual reality. Was a cool activity but for some reason they rovers we created werent what we were driving seems like they had alot of problems with that system when i was there. We spent more time waiting to start than we did doing it.

Ofcourse the simulators have computers throughout. The Flight Deck of the shuttles and the ones in MOCR are the most obvious ones.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

We used the VR Mars Rovers in 1999. (The computers were down in 1998 so we watched SpaceCamp the movie instead.) Our rover missions went well. The rovers we designed were the ones we drove. It seems like they had a lot of problems with that system though, as everyone who mentions it has some quirky story to go with it.

Also, back in 1998 or 1999 there was a computer lab that had windows looking into the UAT. It wasn't the VR lab, but next to it. We used the computers for some simulation software, likely the same one LB206 mentioned.

Then, in 2004 we used computers in Hab II during our off hours to check e-mails and use the Orbiter sim software.

And, looking at the old maps, I remember when the store had its spot on the main floor of Hab I. It also had a second location in the museum, across from what now is Intrepid. Anyway, the store in HabI is where we picked up our clothing packages, ordered dog tags and flight suit name badges, and they had a small selection of souvenirs - caribeaners, stuffed aliens, patches, keychains, etc. as well as a few essentials - padlocks, phone cards, pens, and the like.

Also, if I recall correctly, in 1998 there were some floating EVA astronauts hanging from the ceiling of Hab I. They weren't there in 1999 or 2004. Does anyone else remember this?
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017