Before the Hab

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

That's what I would think. It is the most logical.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I remember reading about it and hoping to get housed in the marriot my first year. Later i was glad i didn't but really you would certainly get more comfort for the money you pay to go to camp staying in the marriott.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Emazon
Camper
Camper

Post by Emazon »

OOooooh, to stay at the Marriott! I stayed there this year between sessions(I'm usually grumpy if I don't get a few hours of "Me time", so this let me chill out, drink coffee, go nuts and not wear flops in the shower), and I would have KILLED to have stayed there both weeks! OH! To think, to have been able to sleep in that soft cushy bed, with REAL COVERS, and to be able to drink real coffee in the morning EVERY MORNING from the little coffee pot they keep in the rooms, and the showers!
I'm SO JEALOUS!
"I ride the Short Orbiter to Space!"
"HEY! HO! LETS GO!"
"Stipper! STIPPER!"

One time SA Spacebowl Champ 1999
One time ASA MS Award Champ 2001
One time Mach 3 Admiral's Cup Champ 2002
One time ASA Area 51 Champ 2003
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

Richasi wrote: When I went to Academy I in 1991, the names of the bay's changed from colors to the names of stars and/or constellations.
Yeah, I was in phoenix.
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
Trigger
Counselor
Counselor

Hotel

Post by Trigger »

monkeynautt wrote:There used to be a website of a girl who stayed in a hotel at camp in Alabama because the girls dorms weren't finished yet. I don't know what year that was though and the website isn't there anymore.
Yep, I went in 1987 and some of us stayed in the Marriott. It was used as overflow housing on the fuller weeks. And, like Joker, I was on the Blue team with ugly blue visor that HAD to be worn at all times! Uggghhh...
Tyra "Trigger"

AC Counselor, 1998-1999
Space Camp Trainee, 1987
b52murph
Camper
Camper

Post by b52murph »

Joker wrote: Back in the day (I went to Space Camp Level 1 in 1985, shortly before the movie was filmed), There was no Hab I. Things were quite a bit different then, as you can imagine, so bear with me.

What we now know as Hab II (where sickbay, etc, is) was only as tall as ground level -- the bays were all underground (and some still are, along with sickbay), and the top of the building was a large concrete slab. Back then, the bays were known by "color" names, like "orange", and the teams for Level I were known by planetary names (I was on the "Sun" team, and had a ridiculous orange visor).

Atop that slab sat a large temporary "bubble" structure, originally used for the USA Pavilion at the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville, TN. Inside the bubble were all the classrooms and simulators. In the movie's simulator scenes, you can see the supports holding up the bubble, all painted black (to simulate space). So the Training Center Floor as we know it hadn't been built yet, and the sims had to sit somewhere!

The bubble was removed when Habs I and II were built -- and in case you're curious, that same super-old "temporary" bubble is now used at Aviation Challenge. I can't believe the thing is still standing, because I remember being in that building during the World's Fair in 1982.

As far as the "habitat" in the movie, it was filmed in the dining facility known at the time as "The Lunch Pad." That building's not really in its present incarnation today -- but a key feature was a big rotating bar where you could pick up salads and jello and stuff. .
I know I'm digging up an old post--but, I was looking for posts about how the place has changed since I was last there in 1990.

What Joker describes is correct....I stayed in the basement area of the old "bubble" in 1986 (Space Camp I) and 1987 (Space Camp). In April 1988 (Space Academy), there was an area that was above (not below) the cafeteria and overlooked the new training center where the bunks were all set up. I'm remembering that this bunk area had at least 50 of us housed. May have been even more.

What I cannot remember is if I also stayed in that area in April, 1989, (Academy I), as well...was the Hab built yet by then? I'm pretty sure I stayed "upstairs" twice....

By Feb '90 and Jun '90, the Hab was definitely in operation--I stayed there both of those times for Academy II and Aviation Challenge.

I, too, remember the "Lunch Pad" eating area as well.
Jordan "b52murph" Murphy
Camp I, April 1986; Camp, April 1987
Academy I, April 1988; Academy I, April 1989
Academy II, Feb 1990; Aviation Challenge, Jun 1990
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I have that old promotional video, which still believe this or not, works. I didn't realize it was where the cafeteria is now, but it makes sense. Yes, I recall the Lunch Pad. Also the dorky colored visors the kiddies wore (though I when I was there there was mostly Advanced Academy).(The kids in my camp will not wear colored visors, I'm going with colored lanyards. The purpose is to "sort the kids by groups".)

The teacher program they did not stay in the Hab. (i mean when I went there, as the Hab was already done.) I don't know if they stayed at the Marriot or U of Alabama campus.

Another thing I remember in the ground floor of the hab was a row of Macintoshes. These were the ancient black and white Macs I think with the tiny screens. LOL! The kids did some learning programs on them I think.

I think also when I went the little kids had team names like McDonald Douglas and stuff. We might have had that as well but if we did I have no recollection of it.

I recall also that the first time I went to the Space Center the Pathfinder was "on the ground". When I got to the camp the Pathfinder was in it's finished state.

Also does anyone remember a low g "ride"? It wasn't part of the camp. It looked something like a swing set. The ride conterbalanced your weight with springs, etc. It was a tad like the 1/6 simulator. I really liked it. They also had a 3 g centrifuge, which I think they don't have any more. I understand someone actually was killed being caught in it, though I may be wrong. Also there was someone who went in it after SCUBA with a bad effect. They mostly have a good safety record. I never went in this but just because I don't like anything that spins. They also did not have Space Shot.

Also someone said they eliminated the Marshall Tours, if so that is a shame.

Oh yeah, and one more thing, I came in early and they had no food service so for dinner I went to Happy Hour at the Marriot. I don't really drink so I got a club soda and ate just about every appetizer in sight. They have a really really nice spread, and I was totally full.

I stayed in Huntsville with family and might do the same this time, I mean before camp starts. But Happy Hour is really worth it. I'd really rather stay at the Marriot, due to the "creature comforts" but that would add an additional several hundred $$ I think.

--des
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

According to the 1989 brochure which i just got a copy of from ebay got it in the mail today Hab 1 was open in 1989 though hab 2 didnt appear to be built yet though it hints that the lower level rooms were stil being used.

I have that old promotional video from the 80s got it from a NASA ERC love it its amazing to see how much stuff has changed over the years i believe the video is from 85 or 86 because you see some campers wearing shirts from space camp the movie and Ed Buckbee is showing some campers around Atlantis which was used for filming all the interior shuttle scenes in the film. Boy has that thing been stripped down compared to its early days. Old pictures of Atlantis show a very realistic looking cockpit even more complete than Enterpise and even in 1993 it looked very complete recent pictures i hhave seen look like its been turned into a much more basic cockpit in comparrison.

The 3 G centrifuge was there for many years but i believe has been replaced by something called G-force now which i believe is similar but have never been on it.

As for Marshall tours they were eliminated post september 11th for security reasons. Most NASA centers who offered bus tours shut them down after 9/11 including Marshall and Langley though i believe KSC still has one. It is ashame though.

And as for the ugly visors i had the ugly brown visor in 1991 still have it today too.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
b52murph
Camper
Camper

Post by b52murph »

LB206 wrote: I have that old promotional video from the 80s got it from a NASA ERC love it its amazing to see how much stuff has changed over the years i believe the video is from 85 or 86 because you see some campers wearing shirts from space camp the movie and Ed Buckbee is showing some campers around Atlantis which was used for filming all the interior shuttle scenes in the film.
Speaking of videos....in the late '80s, they also offered a video as part of your space-store package. You were then assigned to a "video" team which had a camera show up at many of the important events; you then received the video in the mail about a month after you attended. I still have my videos from '86 (Betamax!!), '87, '88, and '89 (VHS). Don't think they offered it in '90, as I don't have the videos from those years. I haven't watched them in many many years...they'll certainly be a trip down memory lane... :-)
Jordan "b52murph" Murphy
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually those videos were offered till ayleast 1993 and i think theyu were still offered in 96. However they were only offered for Camp and Academy level 1. Academy level 2 and aviation challenge didnt ohher them. I still have my videos from 91 and 93 still watch them from time to time great trip down memory lane. However i saw a friends video from space camp florida and it seemed like they had a better video there. Where as alabama had a short bit of each person on the diffrent simulators and a short section of the shuttle mission or missions it was never complete coverage of the stuff. The florida video you saw the whole thing of each simulator and they had fottage of the entire mission looked like it must have been several cameramen filming the mission cutting between diffrent areas like shuttle interior EVA and mission control. but it was in order and ran smoothly
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I think you'all have talked me into the idea that I didn't attend Space Academy as long ago as I originally thought. Pathfinder was finished (although I did see the incomplete one when going to the museum a few years earlier). Also Hab 2 must have been finished. The pix of Hab 2 that I see from their stuff now (and it is disappointing compared to the old slick brochures, btw). I downloaded a chintzy pdf file. Bleh.

The promotional video predates when I went to the camp. The floor and various aspects such as no Hab 2 are different. There are different pieces of equipment. I think the one think that existed during the video and when I went,. and does not now, was the Manuvering Pod. I thought it was kind of dopey. (I also didn't like the 5 DF--too jerky and the Multiaxis trainer--got a horrible headache and DID get dizzy. But I didn't think they were dopey.) The MMU thing was broken when I went. I think the promotional video was a bit silly and quite incomplete but I always enjoyed it because it is the only video that I have. I can't really compare the cockpits as I don't recall that much. I remember it to be a little daunting. I did learn everything though. I probably was not the best Commander in the world as I have a learning disability. Adults were not offered videos like the kids were. I also got the museum video but it never worked.

I have several old brochures.One has George Bush Sr in it. And both (or all three) have Buckbee statements. I have never seen Buckbee and he did not speak at our graduation as he did in the film. Some higher ups were walking around as judged by the fact that they wre wearing suits and ties (no women higher ups and zero/few minorities back then). I found it amusing that you could tell who was who by their oufits. I can't remember it all but the counsellers wore shorts, the guides wore flightsuits, and janitoral staff wore something else. And then we'd see these guys in suits. :-)

I was at the museum for KSC for a space educator conference in Feb. Yes, the KSC does do a tour. I didn't go as I was sick the week I went down there and was always cold. Too bad. They have little trams that take you around and they aren't covered. I also had to cancel the SCUBA diving they have at the Space Educator conference. Too bad too bad.
I doubt they let you see as much as they once did, but they did do special tours of the NBF and so on. At least they did these for the teachers.

We got a nice cap at Space academy, which I promptly lost. I suppose they presume adults and older kids will stay with their group, which is true. I'm doing lanyards for my camp to help MY memory. I suppose they have to do something to keep the little rascals in line. The thing is that I priced caps online. If you buy enough colored caps-- not visors-- you wouldn't pay more than $1-2 dollars a piece. The Space camp patch would cost the same, so I think the visors a little cheap.

At the Space Educator's conference, one thing I would say is they spared no expense. We had really snazzy IDs in little wallets, a huge bag to hold our materials, pens, packets, etc. Almost all the presenters gave out CDs.
They also had very good food-- really fancy catered meals.

I do recall that the Space Camp has made the adult meals a little better since I went the first time. At Aviation challenge we got special meals for us only, like barbeques and steak night. It wasn't as good as the Houston stuff though. When I went I thought the food was horrible. We had one space food day,which was a tray of very high carb offerings in little packets and thermostabilized cans. They also had coke and 7 Up as they were experimenting with these in the special cans.

--des
LB206 wrote:According to the 1989 brochure which i just got a copy of from ebay got it in the mail today Hab 1 was open in 1989 though hab 2 didnt appear to be built yet though it hints that the lower level rooms were stil being used.

I have that old promotional video from the 80s got it from a NASA ERC love it its amazing to see how much stuff has changed over the years i believe the video is from 85 or 86 because you see some campers wearing shirts from space camp the movie and Ed Buckbee is showing some campers around Atlantis which was used for filming all the interior shuttle scenes in the film. Boy has that thing been stripped down compared to its early days. Old pictures of Atlantis show a very realistic looking cockpit even more complete than Enterpise and even in 1993 it looked very complete recent pictures i hhave seen look like its been turned into a much more basic cockpit in comparrison.

The 3 G centrifuge was there for many years but i believe has been replaced by something called G-force now which i believe is similar but have never been on it.

As for Marshall tours they were eliminated post september 11th for security reasons. Most NASA centers who offered bus tours shut them down after 9/11 including Marshall and Langley though i believe KSC still has one. It is ashame though.

And as for the ugly visors i had the ugly brown visor in 1991 still have it today too.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Wow! You guys are really stirring up some old memories tonight! Allow me to clear some things up for you. First of all, the structure known as the "bubble" originally came from the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville, Tennessee. It was only a temporary structure!! For two short years, the "bubble" housed Werner Von Braun's dream of Space Camp - training center and hab and all. Until new structures could be built!!

In 1987-88 the training center extension of the Space & Rocket Center was finished and all of the shuttle sims and other training equipment moved in there. In 1988 they started building the hab we all know now. 1989 was when both Habs -both 1 and 2- first opened. The underground rooms/sleep bays of the old bubble became a part of Hab II and were given constellation names such as Libra and Aries sleep bays. Younger Space Campers were housed here and the older guys (Academy I and II) were housed in the new Hab I. My Boeing team of August 1989 was housed in the Libra sleep bay of Hab II. The old "bubble" was moved to what is now the Aviation Challenge grounds which started up in June-July 1990.

I too remember the Hab 1 row of Macintosh computers and the "space mail" (early email system for keeping in touch with your team mates). I also remember Shuttle Bucks for exchanging money to spend while you were at camp!! I think I still have a Shuttle Buck or two stashed somewhere, wonder if its any good??

ATLANTIS
The Atlantis cockpit was awesome back in the day. I remember looking forward to doing a mission in Atlantis when I finally got to Academy II, but got stuck with Enterprise which sucked in comparison.

LUNCH PAD
Yes! The Lunch Pad! That was our old watering hole on those hot summer days. It was right next to the cafeteria so the food there was exactly the same. I still have every plastic cup from every drink I ever bought there. Is the Lunch Pad not there any more??

PATHFINDER BACK IN THE DAY
The Pathfinder orbiter lay on its belly on the Space Center grounds in 1987 when I was there (see my photo album for pics!). In 1988 they began erecting the full stack display with the ET and SRB's. By the time I went to Camp in 1989, it was newly finished. I have some photos of the construction stashed somewhere, I will have to post later.

ROCKET PARK
I remember the centrifuge ride in the rocket park. Is it gone too? I guess alot has changed since I last visited Huntsville. That ride used to simulate the 3g's you pulled during a shuttle launch, or the queasyness you felt after drinking a 5th of vodka -either one lol. I am also a relic of Camp before the Space Shot (1996) and the day when they had the "low G ride" in the rocket park. The way everyone talks, these rides are all gone now? I do know that the old Shuttle Liner ride next to the Pathfinder is now a Journey to Mars ride, or something like that...

MARSHALL SPACE FLIGHT CENTER
The Marshall tours were awesome. I think its stupid that they discontinued them over some fucking terrorist sh*t. Somehow I don't think a few aging rocket test stands collecting dust are on Osama's list of things to blow up. The tours of the Marshall Space Flight Center that we got to go on back in the day was neat. You got to visit mission control, the *real* underwater UAT the astronauts trained in, the space station mockup, Spacelab, SSME and Saturn test stands, Shuttle vibration test stands, Redstone rocket test stands, and various hangars and housings. If you were in Academy II you got to actually go up on some of the test stands and gain access to areas the general public was not allowed to. This was an important part of Camp back when I went, and I can't imagine going back to Camp now if they don't offer this trip!!

VIDEOTAPE OPTION
I chose the videotape option in 1989 and I still have the video from that week. It was pretty basic and I was not impressed. If i recall correctly it was $75 more if you wanted the videotape option in 1989. It was not that cool, and I did not opt for the video in my latter '91, '92, and '94 sessions.

MMU SIMULATOR
Hey I remember the MMU sim in the museam too that was part of the Camp experience. Back then, it sat at the entrance to the Spacedome. I remember it being broke on more than one occasion, seems like they could never keep the software running on that thing, or maybe some reckless visitor would screw it up, who knows. The objective was to dock with the Solar Max satellite, George Nelson style. Even as a Shuttle Commander i remember asking my counciler if I could be allowed extra time on the MMU sim because I thought it would help sharpen my shuttle piloting skills!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I too remember shuttle bucks son't kknow why i never kept any though. Looking back makes me wish i'd thought about hanging onto alot of that stuff don't know why i didnt in many cases and did in some.

Atlantis is so stripped down in comparrison now its used by Academy not Advanced academy.

I also remember the Lunch Pad though never got to eat there it was still around till atleast 96. They remodeled the cafeteria and alot of that stuff around 1998.

Yes the old centrifuse is gone replaced by G-force though i get the impression its the same concept. The low G ride i believe you guys are referring to was called the space walker it was there till I'm guessing about 1995. It was strill there in 93 but gone by 96 when space shot came in. the area where it was now has a kids area. And yes the old shuttle liner which i remember riding in 91 has been replaced with anonther ride i thuink your right about it being mars related.

As for Marshall its not the only one to cut out tours. We use to do bus tours to Langley as well which are now closed. NASA was willing to reopen the Langley bus tour at one time but since it incorporated parts of the Air Force Base next door which were used by the NACA it never was brought back. One thing i think the government is concerned with is that both are still active facilities yes most of the tour was alot of rusting away old test stands but Marshall itself is still a very much active facility. As for the UAT at Marshall it is no longer in use either that is now exclusively done in Houston. I did get a VIP tour of Marshall when i went to a corporate camp/ teacher confrence in 05 but that was only arrangred because we were part of a NASA workshop you can find my pictures in the section marked corpotate camp/SERCH workshop 2005 on the photo portal all the marshall pictures are toward the end of the album.

As for videos you wouldnt have had the video option at academy Level 2 or aviation challenge anyway. I know they werent perfect but they are fun to watch from time tio time for a trip down memory lane.

The MMU simulator. I remember the one in the museum i know it was there in 91 not sure about 93 and was gone by 96. However camp also has an MMU simulator ythat like the 5-DF's floats on a cushion of air but you have more control over it using the mmu style controls on the arm rest inclusing pitch roll etc.
[/quote]
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

Shuttlebucks were there for my first trip in 2001 and I think that was the last summer they had them. They were for sure gone by 2003 - I just can't remember if they were gone in 2002 or not.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
b52murph
Camper
Camper

Post by b52murph »

Hotdog wrote: In 1987-88 the training center extension of the Space & Rocket Center was finished and all of the shuttle sims and other training equipment moved in there. In 1988 they started building the hab we all know now. 1989 was when both Habs -both 1 and 2- first opened. The underground rooms/sleep bays of the old bubble became a part of Hab II and were given constellation names such as Libra and Aries sleep bays. Younger Space Campers were housed here and the older guys (Academy I and II) were housed in the new Hab I. My Boeing team of August 1989 was housed in the Libra sleep bay of Hab II. The old "bubble" was moved to what is now the Aviation Challenge grounds which started up in June-July 1990.

PATHFINDER BACK IN THE DAY
The Pathfinder orbiter lay on its belly on the Space Center grounds in 1987 when I was there (see my photo album for pics!). In 1988 they began erecting the full stack display with the ET and SRB's. By the time I went to Camp in 1989, it was newly finished. I have some photos of the construction stashed somewhere, I will have to post later.

VIDEOTAPE OPTION
I chose the videotape option in 1989 and I still have the video from that week. It was pretty basic and I was not impressed. If i recall correctly it was $75 more if you wanted the videotape option in 1989. It was not that cool, and I did not opt for the video in my latter '91, '92, and '94 sessions.
I don't have any ShuttleBucks left, but I do sort-of remember them. I, too, remember when Pathfinder showed up my second time @ Camp in '87--and being awed along with everyone else that the thing was wooden. Given that they didn't offer the vids for Academy II and AC, that explains why I don't have one from those times.

Do you remember when in '89 the Hab was opened? Was it before April? I'm still thinking I was on the upper floor of the training center twice.

OMNIMAX Theater
Here's another blast-from-the-past that came to me. When I first attended, the movies (and we saw them all!) were To Fly!, Hail Columbia! and The Dream is Alive! I think we saw at least one of them twice, given that we were there for 5 nights (20-25 April...)

Thanks for this thread.. ;-)
Jordan "b52murph" Murphy
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

>Wow! You guys are really stirring up some old memories tonight! Allow me to clear some things up for you. First of all, the structure known as the "bubble" originally came from the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville, Tennessee.

This was all before my time. I went to the museum a few years before I went to the camp. But you don't have that much access.

>In 1987-88 the training center extension of the Space & Rocket Center was finished and all of the shuttle sims and other training equipment

The training floor was finished when I visisted the museum, but it looked different. They had a several screen movie (propaganda machine) that showed kids using the simulator. They had no older kids or adults as we aren't as cute. :-)

>Younger Space Campers were housed here and the older guys (Academy I and II) were housed in the new Hab I. My Boeing team of August 1989 was housed in the Libra sleep bay of Hab II. The old "bubble" was moved to what is now the Aviation Challenge grounds which started up in June-July 1990.
>I too remember the Hab 1 row of Macintosh computers and the "space mail" (early email system for keeping in touch with your team mates). I also remember Shuttle Bucks for exchanging money to spend while you were at camp!!

We were definitely in Hab 2 (I mean if that is that odd sort of building that resembles a space station. They also had the Macs on the ground floor, unless these buildings were connected somehow. I recall the space mail, never got it. Also shuttle bucks, though I used Travelers checks (remember them). Actually shuttle bucks were limited travelers checks or maybe "funny money". They should still be good, probably aren't.

>LUNCH PAD
Yes! The Lunch Pad! That was our old watering hole on those hot summer days.

Wasn't it outside. Just what you'd want to do on a hot Alabama day, go outside!!

>PATHFINDER BACK IN THE DAY

I actually think I have some too, maybe not.

>ROCKET PARK
I remember the centrifuge ride in the rocket park. Is it gone too? I guess alot has changed since I last visited Huntsville. That ride used to simulate the 3g's you pulled during a shuttle launch, or the queasyness you felt after drinking a 5th of vodka -either one lol. I am also a relic of Camp before the Space Shot (1996) and the day when they had the "low G ride" in the rocket park. The way everyone talks, these rides are all gone now? I do know that the old Shuttle Liner ride next to the Pathfinder is now a Journey to Mars ride, or something like that...

I think the centrifuge ride was just replaced with a safer ride. There was a death on the centrifuge where someone got squeezed (it was an employee not a camper). It was not the ride per se, but the way it was made. The ride itself was safe, but there was a platform, and I think that's how the person died. I didn't hear a lot of details and might be wrong, but it was replaced by another centrifuge type ride. The "low g" ride, was also taken out. I think it was kind of a kiddie ride, esp compared to Space Shot. Although I did like it. The Shuttle Liner got switched to something else, so it was not open when I was there.

>MARSHALL SPACE FLIGHT CENTER
The Marshall tours were awesome. I think its stupid that they discontinued them over some f** terrorist sh*t. Somehow I don't think a

These were awesome tours. I think if they were doing them at KSC they should be able to do them at the other NASA centers.

>MMU SIMULATOR
Hey I remember the MMU sim in the museam too that was part of the Camp experience. Back then, it sat at the entrance to the Spacedome. I remember it being broke on more than one occasion, seems like they could never keep the software running on that thing, or maybe some reckless visitor would screw it up, who knows. The objective was to dock with the Solar Max satellite, George Nelson style.

I have seen this same ride several times since, and it is at the Johnson museum. They even have one in Chicago at the Museum of Science and Industry. At both of those it doesn't look like you can move it as much.

The Johnson museum also has some other space campy stuff, for instance they have a landing simulator. It is pretty realistic and I could not do it, I think I could have learned given time. All these realistic simulators are built by a company that builds stuff for space camp, etc. called Binary Star. You should look at this website sometime.
http://www.binarystarltd.com/products.html
The cheapest price for anything is about $3000. Maybe it is part of the answer to what space camp will do after the shuttle. Whatever this company might dream up.

--des
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually Hab 2 is the smaller of the 2 dorms. Hab 1 is the large building that is supose to look like a space station. Hab 1 is 4 floors including the ground floor. Hab 2 is 2 floors including the original dorms on the lower level and a newer floor opened i guess it appears to be in 89 on top of that. Hab 1 has s,aller rooms with about 6 people in them, Hab 2 has large rooms full of bunk beds. sounds like you were in Hab 1 Des
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Hmm, ok. This has been confusing to me. I didn't stay in anything with many bunks. Didn't see such a thing. But we are guessing I was there in 89 or 90 based on the fact that Pathfinder was newly finished. Someday I'll find out! I do have my diploma somewhere.

--des
LB206 wrote:Actually Hab 2 is the smaller of the 2 dorms. Hab 1 is the large building that is supose to look like a space station. Hab 1 is 4 floors including the ground floor. Hab 2 is 2 floors including the original dorms on the lower level and a newer floor opened i guess it appears to be in 89 on top of that. Hab 1 has s,aller rooms with about 6 people in them, Hab 2 has large rooms full of bunk beds. sounds like you were in Hab 1 Des
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

VINTAGE SHUTTLE BUCKS, 1992!!

From my Space Camp archives. I find more and more stuff the more I dig! Wonder if this buck is still good at the gift shop?!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

Probably not, seeing as there is an expiration date written on the bill.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award