SpaceCamp Anniversary

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

SpaceCamp Anniversary

Post by SpaceCanada »

Yesterday was the 32nd anniversary of SpaceCamp's debut in cinema. How did you celebrate the occasion?

I watched the movie whilst riding my bike (affixed to a stationary trainer).

I recently gifted a copy of SpaceCamp and Space Warriors to a young girl (age 10) I know who loves space and she much preferred SpaceCamp to the newer film - it hasn't lost it's magic, even on today's generation of school kids.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Re: SpaceCamp Anniversary

Post by Feuerfresser »

Hey, I didn't celebrated the anniversary. But it is a good idea to do so in the future, I think.
The movie was an inspiration. Years later I heard, that Space Camp is real :-) 30 years after the movie, I was in Space Camp the first time. So amazing.
For me, it is a location with a lot of spirit. And I am always sad, not to live in the U.S., but in Germany. It is always a long and expansive way to go to Space Camp.
I would love to work as a crew trainer :-)
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I wasn't aware of the date that the movie was first released.
That said, I do remember seeing it new in the theaters right after it first came out. I grew up within a few hours drive of space camp as a kid, but there was no way I was ever going to go when I was young. I grew up in a house where we didn't have a great deal of money for such things, and my parents were somewhat overprotective, and there was no way they were going to send me off on my own anywhere like that.
So, 30 years after it opened, I finally got to go to space camp on my own as an adult. Each time I have gone to space camp, the trainer always asks what prompted people to come. In most cases, people cite the original 1980s movie as a primary reason why they always wanted to go.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I was one of the few that hadn't heard of the SpaceCamp movie until I went to camp, actually. I heard about US Space Camp from a local science centre advertising Space Camp Spatiale Canada -- but I was too old to attend there and they directed me to Huntsville. I worked hard to save money over two years to pay tuition, and my parents eventually paid for my flights. It was only at camp that I found out about the film - it was one of the options for our early arrival day movie, but the group picked The Princess Bride instead -- my first introduction to that film also. I watched SpaceCamp as soon as I returned home.
- Jennifer -
blachwk
Camper
Camper

Post by blachwk »

Earlier in the month I stumbled in to an article online that mentioned about the anniversary of the move. Honestly I did not know when the actual debut was, so it was pure luck seeing that article. Our family had a 'little' celebration over the last few weeks. Due to time we had to spread things out, but watched the SpaceCamp movie, Space Warriors, and A Smile As Big As The Moon. Of course we all had our space related clothing on (or in my daughter and my case, our Space Camp flight suits) and their American Girl dolls all dressed in their Space Suits. This weekend we had a 'grand finale' by going to the Adler Planetarium in Chicago. I was little when the movie came out originally but over time grew up seeing the various kid game shows have their grand prize be a trip to Space Camp. My family could not afford to send me to Space Camp when I was growing up and were not too fond of the idea of me flying alone many states away. Eventually when I was in high school I applied for a Space Camp scholarship but did not get one. Soon after I received the rejection letter, I worked with the science teachers and arranged for a class trip to go to Space Camp. The teachers were onboard since they knew about the movie and I tied how much we could learn along with the other promotional material from the actual space camp that I brought to class almost daily.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

What, no 'The Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley: The Case of the U.S Space Camp Mission'??

We used to have it on VHS, but then we did away with all those VHS movies when we moved. Sad, sad day that was. The songs were super catchy. It's not available on DVD, and I haven't seen a digital copy floating around the webs. I should have had my brother do a digital transfer - why didn't I think of that in the two days we had to pack? (Ha, I wish! I may still buy a copy and have him do that for me.)
- Jennifer -
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I couldn't make it through this, but here's part one of the Mary Kate and Ashley video: https://youtu.be/lLvOIIsF5tM
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Ha, I never said it was a good movie, but the songs always got stuck in my head for days. :lol:
- Jennifer -