Movie patch, real or replica?

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Movie patch, real or replica?

Post by majtom7 »

I have a real movie patch for sale. $130, my cost (yes, it is the one just on Ebay.) Free shipping to US & Canada only.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Friday the 13th special:

$113

Last call. (BTW, nothing wrong with the patch. I just ended up with two by accident.)
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

I figured that one of the two bidders who ran up the price of the patch on Ebay was someone here. Guess not... over and out.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

If you still want to let it go for $113, I'll buy it! Shoot me an email at [email protected]
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Email sent from my AOL account...
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:2007 facsimile patch on Ebay…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223861837969?ul_noapp=true
Nope, that is not one of the gift shop patches. I have one just like it, made a lot like the real movie ones though some of the letters aren't done the same way.
Web backing, merrowed edge.
Clearly not sold in the gift shop. I've love to know where these came from.
Attachments
front.jpg
front.jpg (187.36 KiB) Viewed 9729 times
Back.jpg
Back.jpg (175.33 KiB) Viewed 9729 times
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

I see what you mean. It has a different font than the USSRC one in the packaging. A facsimile of a facsimile... In any case, unlikely to be worth $150 without any provenance. Nor is this.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/United-States- ... SwctxeI9Bg

PC
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:I see what you mean. It has a different font than the USSRC one in the packaging. A facsimile of a facsimile...
Well, maybe not. I have one of these and it's not a new patch. I think it could actually be a patch either made for the production people (who often get souvenir stuff like this from productions), or the more unlikely event of someone making a run of these immediately after the film itself. I can't see that being likely at all, though.
majtom7 wrote:In any case, unlikely to be worth $150 without any provenance. Nor is this.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/United-States- ... SwctxeI9Bg
For future reference, this is one of the black rectangle "Space Camp" patches with red lettering that the first flight suits at SC came with. Heck, I have a half dozen of these at least. Yeah, these are probably worth $15-20 tops to a collector who doesn't want to wait for a cheaper one.
Actually, I have a spare light blue flight suit that fits me and I'm seriously thinking of either putting the early patches on it to look like something the first adult campers would have worn in 1985, or perhaps maybe making a "Spacecamp" movie flight suit out of it, which would require some light blue velcro strips as well...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

p51 wrote:I think it could actually be a patch either made for the production people (who often get souvenir stuff like this from productions), or the more unlikely event of someone making a run of these immediately after the film itself. I can't see that being likely at all, though.
Yet why make a different patch for the production folks? I could see smaller to save money yet why redo the lettering? On the other hand, I can see someone changing the lettering & size to try to avoid rights infringement. Maybe it was a test run done by USSRC.

It's a mystery, alright.

PC