Space Warriors ISS location?

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Space Warriors ISS location?

Post by p51 »

When I was at SC last month, a couple of the trainers said they filmed the ISS scenes at SC, using the same ones we all use there.
I watched my DVD last night and can assure anyone that isn't the ISS mockup I've used more than once. If they used the SC ones, they changes pretyt much eveyr square inch of it.
I assumed they made the sets the first time I saw the film, and I believe that even more so now. But how did this get started that they used the Camp's ISS modules for the movie? Go look at those scenes in the movie and you'll agree; that ain't the one at Camp!
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Space Warriors ISS location?

Post by Hotdog »

Aren't there some more of the old Boeing "Freedom" space station modules still laying around at MSFC somewhere? I know some of that old mockup (that used to be part of the MSFC bus tour in the '90s) was given to Space Camp and turned into the "ISS" we use at Space Camp. If so, maybe they shot those scenes at MSFC with that excess hardware? Purely speculation but maybe a possibility. Maybe Vincent might could shed some light on this.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

It never occured to me that SC would have something that accurate but campers never get to see it. Beats me where it is because I thought I went through all the ISS sections when I was at SC last month, and I sure didn't see anything as accurate as what's in the movie. That said, it could be tucked away somewhere...
I'd like to know where this thing actually is, and why it doesn't get used either for camp or as a display.
Skidmark

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

The ISS sets i saw used in the movie were in deed used at camp but only one was an iss sim. Not sure where it is now but at one time the one used for most iss seens atleast prior to the accident in the movie was just on the other side of the double decker section of the iss mockup at camp. I believe it was origibnally a mockup of space lab that camp inherited from Marshall. They use to have a similar one attached to the discovery Sim but that one is now gone. The other iss location the columbia module as they called it i believe in the film was the lander sim thats attached to the Orion mockup
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I've only ever poked my head into the crew compartment of the Orion, so that'd explain why it didn't look familiar to me. I've only ever used the primary ISS modeuls which everyone else uses at SC. The next time I go, I'm going on a quest to find this other module.
It's amazing how easy you can miss stuff at SC on the floor, I didn't know of the Atlantis obrbiter/mission control until I went to SC the second time last month. The year before, we simply never went that direction and you don't see it unless you pass through the crew change room and into that passangeway past it on your way to the ISS from the opposite direction you normally go to it from...
Skidmark

Saint
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Saint »

It was explained to me by a fellow Crew Trainer that the ISS scenes were filmed (at least partially) in the Destiny module on the MCC floor. It's the ISS module used for Endeavour, and it looks different internally from Kibo or Zarya. I'll try and remember to snag a picture when I work next for you to compare.
Stephan, call sign: "Fabric"

SC/SA/AA Crew Trainer '13, '14, '15, '16, '17
AC Instructor '16, '17

"All in a day's work!"