More Trivia

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

More Trivia

Post by SpaceCanada »

Whilst on the topic of the movie (and I think I will go home and watch it tonight) I found some more trivia bits about the film. Feel free to verify/deny them as such:

from www.fast-rewind.com:

In order to recreate the image of the zero gravity in space, the shuttle set was suspended in a gyroscopic rig (very similar to that Lea Thompson was required to steady in the film), allowing the "bottom" of the set to be on any wall, floor, or ceiling. The actors were suspended in harnesses and pulled themselves along thewalls, etc. This made for a very realistic weightlessness effect.

More long shots (i.e. full body shots) of the actors in the weightlessness harnesses were planned, but they weren't quite ready for the physical endurance required to maneuver in the harness (if you've seen Superman, you know that Christopher Reeve had to get into peak condition just to keep his body straight for those flying scenes). Only former dancer Lea Thompson had the physical strength and control to pull off the look of zero gravity while being hung by a single cable from the hip, so hers were the only shots that were used in the film.

Joaquin Phoenix was the youngest of the space camp members at 12 years old.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017