Some memories since I was there...

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

rkolker
Camper
Camper

Some memories since I was there...

Post by rkolker »

When the first regular adult session was held in September of 1985, they were wrapping up location shooting, so we were there for some of it. In fact, they kept us awake our first night because our dorms were in the basement of the "bubble" and they were shooting on the training floor above us.

To make it up, they invited us to the cast wrap party. Somewhere there's a photo of me with Kate Capshaw, but the person who took it and promised to send it to me never did.

The dorms in those days were "barracks style", so they recreated a nicer dorm in what was then "The lunch pad" cafeteria. I have a photo of me on the "dorm" set.

For those who don't recognize the place...the whole "training wing" didn't exist then. What was then the training facility was a "bubble" at the location of the current Hab 2. The Hab didn't exist, and Pathfinder didn't arrive until 1987.

If anyone has any questions about the filming I can answer, I'd be happy to.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Impressive! And welcome to Hab1.com!

Considering how curious we all tend to be, it may be better if you just tell us all about everything you know regarding the film.

Yes, I know that is easier requested than done... ;)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

Welcome to Hab1 Rich! :)
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

SpaceCanada wrote:Impressive! And welcome to Hab1.com!

Considering how curious we all tend to be, it may be better if you just tell us all about everything you know regarding the film.

Yes, I know that is easier requested than done... ;)
Well, for starters, here's a picture:

http://rkolker.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2820

To see it larger and some more pics from 1985 Space Camp go to http://rkolker.com/gallery and look in Miscellaneous. I have more, but they haven't been scanned in.

Most of the cast, kids and adults, were there for the shoot. Food at Space Camp back then was no better than it was now, so the ribs at the cast party were a great break. The scenes they shot while I was there were the sneaking around at night with the robot (excuse my lack of memory of the movie, it's been a long time) and a bunch of exteriors. Since we were busy at camp, we didn't get to see too much of the shoot. The cast seemed as interesting to know what it was like to really attend Space Camp as we were about the filming.

As has been posted elsewhere, Atlantis was originally the cockpit/middeck set (there was a window into the middeck you could shoot through when Space Camp first got it) and Enterprise was used for payload bay shooting (although when Space Camp first got it, it was labeled OV-105) and had no switches up front.

Atlantis looked spectacular when it first arrived, but nothing worked. It doesn't look as good any more, but is a lot better simulator.

Those who have attended only recently may find it hard to believe that all of Space Camp was once contained in the space now
taken up by Hab 2.
++rich
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

great pictures! very valuable to the history of space camp itself. if only we had more people like you around!

dig thru some of the posts some of us other old timers have posted way back in the past here on hab1, you might find yourself going down memory lane!

by the same token, the "newer" trainees have equally awesome stories that carry the same spirit of the Space Camp of old into the current programs. Reading this board, you might remember things about your camp experiences long since forgotten!!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

There was a Time Magazine article about the first adult session in 1985 (you can find the article at http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 04,00.html).

Unfortunately, the online version doesn't have the photos, including one (very small) one of me in mission control.
++rich
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

wow, only $350 for an adult session back then!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

It's amazing what you find poking around this site!

The same trip on which I took the photos is also documented in an article I wrote for Starlog, a copy of which is at http://www.hab1.com/HabFiles/Starlog/July1986/cover.php

I haven't seen that article in a long time! :)
++rich
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Hey. thanks for the memories. Now I remember the bubble. When I was there it wasn't a dormitory. I think they converted it to some exhibit or other. I also remember the Lunch pad. :-)

--des