Essays?

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Essays?

Post by SpaceCanada »

While attempting to create a scrapbook from my recent trip to Space Camp (which is a task far beyond my abilities) I started to watch Space Camp for the bazillionth time. I know most of the accuracies/inaccuracies, but one thing caught my attention... essays... Does anyone know if, way back when, they made the trainees write essays? If so, what for, and were they worth anything in the end?

PS - I got another copy of Space Camp for Christmas this year from my beau. He found it at a movie store in a small town in Saskatchewan. It's brand new too, as opposed to my original copy which was bought 'previously viewed' from the local movie rental store.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

Ha! I had to write a mini essay back in 97 and it had to be about what made you qualified to have a certain position and why...etc etc that sorta thing
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

yeah, they used to do that...and trainees still have to write a sentence or two as to why they want the position they do.

But during Space Camp's early history, I believe everyone had to write an essay to "get in" to camp, but I'm not sure about while they were there...
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

I had to write a paragrah when i was at camp, or academy (i can't remember) about why i wanted a certain position for a mission
~Siobhan
Space Camp 2000 - Cygnus- wk 38
Space Academy 2001 - IO- wk 36
Space Academy 2002 - Galileo- wk 38
Adv. Space Academy 2003 - Von Braun- 36
Adv. Space Academy 2004 - Von Braun- 37
Carrie
Camper
Camper

Post by Carrie »

I remember, a couple of years back, that when you went to the Space Camp website, there were write-ups by recent campers about how they felt their missions had gone. I assume these were real, and if they were, that would be an essay of sorts.

There was also an area where people could leave/read feedback about camp on the site...I liked both features...
Adult Space Academy Sept. 24-26, 2004
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

the writeups you saw online were done online after they had gone home, i had one on there for a while
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I know i wrote one just about how space camp had impacted my life but that was for the alumni comments thing. I think and i'm probably wrong that Carrie was referring to the ones that were from the camp kids about how the missions went and stuff right? I would imagine those were written there at some point but ihave no idea.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Carrie
Camper
Camper

Post by Carrie »

Space Nerd wrote:I think and i'm probably wrong that Carrie was referring to the ones that were from the camp kids about how the missions went and stuff right?
Right, those were the ones I was thinking of! That's cool that you submitted something to the alumni comments :)
Adult Space Academy Sept. 24-26, 2004