I Got the Job!

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

I Got the Job!

Post by Vincent »

I received the job offer and related details in the mail on Saturday and I just got off the phone with Space Camp where I told them that I accept the offer!

So I am now a future Space Academy Counselor!

:D
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

AWESOME!!! do you know when you are going to be there?
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

I'll be arriving on May 19th.

Training starts on May 20th.

I'll be leaving sometime in late August.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

fun! you're going to be there practically the entire summer!!! :D
Last edited by meg on Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

hey congrats and good luck youll make a great counselor
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Nice. Enjoy... it should be awesome. Maybe I'll run into you while I'm there... dunno.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

That's so cool! I'll be there from May 28 until June 6. Maybe I'll see you.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

you should like come and find me...ill be there on june 26th and wont leave until like july 11th.....you have a nice huge window of time to find me. besides, you cant really miss me when im at camp.
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

Outstanding :) You can come over, hang with me and help out with the website when you are not busy...
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

awwww, you have an instant friend! :D
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Who wrote:Outstanding :) You can come over, hang with me and help out with the website when you are not busy...
Sounds like fun!
...assuming they give me any time off! I could seriously see some 80 hour weeks in my future!
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

As a team leader*, you get friday (11am ish) til sunday am off**, unless you choose (or are chosen/volunteer) for weekend support, 1 night astroboogie -- somthing like that.

*Advanced and M3 couselors just friday 11ish til saturday am.

**Number of trainees attending SC/AC are up 3 fold from last year, off time will be silm to none. Count on doubles.

You get 45 mins off for IMAX tho, and a popcorn and drink too! :)
AC Callsign - Who?
Counselor 2002-04
coffeediver
Counselor
Counselor

Post by coffeediver »

And on what planet have you been living on Who? Have you been a full time employee so long now that you've forgotten that THEY DON'T CARE?!?!? This is the only advice I'll give you Vincent, if you were dumb enough, yes I said dumb enough, to list open availability on your application, bring some lotion cause it's going to get rough. From the day I graduated counselor training to the day I told them to shove it I had one, ONE, weekend off. 5 months of 16-20 hour days straight. Every time off request ever submitted denied, even the ones where I got my daughter for the weekend. Front row Pauli Shore tickets in B'ham, time off request submitted a month in advance, "No. We need you for a AC PC team this weekend. And you have no choice." Here's the advice, if you listed open availability, call Marion tomorrow AM and change it. Otherwise don't say you haven't been warned.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Congratulations Vincent. Hope you enjoy your summer and take some picture for us to see while your their.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

Oh cry me a river Will, if you had such a bad time - why did you even bother to come back..?

Personally, I had an overall, excellent experience as a counselor. True times are HARD, customers can be a pain and there was a lack of money in my pocket and in the Centers, but it was a blast. I met lots of people, made lots of friends and gained lots of experience working at AC. People experience, doing graphics and presentations for AC and SC and it led to a better job. God forbid I had to work long hard hours to get somewhere.

So step off Vincent's dream and let him enjoy his summer - it can open many unseen opportunities for him.
AC Callsign - Who?
Counselor 2002-04
REDBeckyD
Counselor
Counselor

Post by REDBeckyD »

Here, here. I have enjoyed my summers at the Center an enormous amount. The campers are amazing, many of the other counselors have since become good friends... What can I say?

Yes, I worked some hard and long hours, but I always had a blast. It's all about the attitude with which you go into it.

Vincent, have a wonderful summer. :-) (And I still owe you a PM.)
Academy II, Spring 1996
ASA, Christmas Camp 1997-1998

ASA Counselor, 2001 and 2003
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Thank you for the comment 'Who', I was about to say something similar myself. I know there are several counsellors who loved their time at Space Camp, and there are some who didn't like it as much.

Vincent has been the moderator of this forum since the beginning, so from reading past posts, I'm sure he knows what he is getting himself into.

Congratulations Vincent! May you become one of the many counsellors the trainees will (positively) talk about long after they leave camp!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
coffeediver
Counselor
Counselor

Post by coffeediver »

You'll notice, JASON, that I am no longer a counselor now am I? And I was a sim-op long before you ever started here, so I've seen every side of this place. And you have NO IDEA why I left when and the way I did, so don't pretend to lecture me. The only thing I am offering Vincent is a dose of reality. I never said I didn't enjoy being a counselor, most of the kids were great except the one that threatened the life of my daughter. I never said Vincent wouldn't enjoy his limited time here. The problem is, few people have the nerve to say anything bad about the Center and those that do have little perspective on this place. I came back because I liked working here, didn't enjoy the male bovine excrement that you put up with as a counselor, and they pay me to get wet. The reason there is such a high turnover here is the way they treat their employees. And even you can't say it isn't a bum deal a lot of the time. If you don't believe me Vincent, or Who, or anyone else, feel free to PM any of the following people and ask them their opinion of working here:

Highspeed03
Ace McFly
Aerodiver
Krispy
THE_MIGHTY_AQUA
Squid
rsopic
ac-pyro

Several of these folks have been on both sides of the house. All of these people will echo a lot of what I have already said. This is a wonderful and amazing place to work, but anyone considering zipping up that blue flightsuit needs to think long and hard about it before they do. And they need to decide how much male bovine excrement they are willing to put up with.

Vincent, feel free to stop by if you want to get wet.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

You're just so negative about it all though!

Try to reflect on the good times! And feel free to share the good with the bad!

Having said that, how's the job at the UAT? I'd like to hear about it, and may just take you up on your offer sometime!
KHu
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by KHu »

I know why you left, Will.
You quitting got me out of Support duties and on to the Ganymede team, which TOTALLY rocked that week.

Each to their own.