Applying to work at Camp...Words of Wisdom?

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Applying to work at Camp...Words of Wisdom?

Post by Vincent »

So time is fairly quickly running out for the deadline I was given to get my application in to be considered for a counselor position for the Summer and I am not quite sure how to go about filling it out.

Allow me to elaborate...

There are questions on the application(s) such as, "Why do you want to work as a counselor?"

Now, an honest answer to such a question would be something along the lines of absolutely loving Space Camp and wanting to do as good of a job and give back to Camp as much as the people in charge of Camp gave to me when I was a camper.

Now, I worry that answers like this will sound a bit too sappy or somehow sounding insincere when someone eventually reads it on paper.

But, given that there are a couple of people around here that work for or have worked at Space Camp, I thought I might ask for your help!

What kind of things are they looking for? Are they any "land mines" to avoid when filling this application out? etc.?

Another question I have is...what exactly is a "25 meter swim test?" It asks if I can complete one...while I'm sure I can, I'd like to know what it is before I circle "YES." I tried looking it up on the internet, but couldn't find anything specific. While I'd imagine it's just swimming 25 meters, I wouldn't count on it...

Oh...and when it asks, "If you could change any part of your life, what would you change? Why?"

...one answer to that question would be that there were 2-3 summers that I could have attended a camp program but didn't. I do very much regret that, but again I worry that it would come of sounding insincere as if I was only saying it to get the job...This could not be further from the truth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well ofcourse i dont work at camp i only wish i did. But the answers do dound good to me but i guess i could see how someone who didnt know you might think them insoncere.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I just helped one of my friends apply the other day and he used some of the more sappy answers, when he was filling it out he told the truth about why he wanted to do it but tryed to stay a little less cheesy. it that made any sense. I think that the 25 meter swim test is actually what it sounds like but having never taken one i probably should say anything lol. GOOD LUCK hope to see you this summer.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Oh i forgot to wish you good luck too vincent. and when you get the job make sure to take lots of pictures.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

yeah...if I get the job, the first thing I'm doing is going and buying a 512MB or 1GB Compact Flash card for my digital camera...since my current 256MB card will only store about 400 photos! :D
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i said when you get the job because i was trying to be optimistic. I'm sure youll get it so good luck and keep up the great work with the hab as best you can when your a counselor.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

Good luck! It would be awesome if you were one of our counselors for those of us returning! :D
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Biscuit
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Biscuit »

Well, they did hire me, you know, but...

Seriously, just be yourself on your application. That's what I did, and I got hired. If you love working with children, let them know! Also, it helps if you can work a lot. As you may have noticed, counselors have to work sun up to sun down. You can't be afraid to work 17 hours shifts - and by that I mean everyday. Don't get scared, though! I didn't have to work those all summer. But if they get backed up, you might have to once in a while. Especially the poor counselors who live there - they work a lot of doubles. You might have a team during the day time, then have to run MOCR at night or something.

If you have any questions on what it's like to be a counselor, you can email me: [email protected]

I hope you get hired! It'd be cool to meet the guy who runs this forum!

Biscuit
Believe it or not, I will not be back this summer. And probably never again!
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Biscuit wrote:As you may have noticed, counselors have to work sun up to sun down. You can't be afraid to work 17 hours shifts - and by that I mean everyday. Don't get scared, though! I didn't have to work those all summer. But if they get backed up, you might have to once in a while. Especially the poor counselors who live there - they work a lot of doubles. You might have a team during the day time, then have to run MOCR at night or something.
Yep...that'll be me if I get the job! ...I plan to live there (actually, I don't really have a back-up plan if I get the job but can't live there) so I'm sure I'll be putting in a great number of hours (When they asked when I'm available on the application I'm currently in the process of filling out, I checked yes in every box...I mean, if I'm living there, how can I not be available 24/7?!)...but I welcome it.

Putting hours in running the sims won't be bad at all, I'm sure (unless I'm just being naive), and while I know I'll be absolutely terrified when they give me my first team, I'm sure I'll settle in just fine!
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I'm sure youll do fine Vincent. For me if i could do it i would have applied and id be willing to work any hours mainly because it would be a dream job for me. The next best thing to working for NASA. Inspiring the next generation of astronauts, pilots, scientists and engineers what could be better.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Biscuit
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Biscuit »

Getting your first team is pretty scary. I remember my first team was. Don't be afraid to use your counselor manual or note cards for your lectures, if you have to. I can never get through the Gemini lecture without some sort of notes. So long as you aren't reading to them, it's all good.

When you get your first team, don't tell them that they are your first team. Act like you've been working forever - they'll respect you more that way. If you want, you can break it to them at the end of the week, say on graduation day. Then they'll be like, "Man! You were so cool! Blah blah" Never show them your fear, and you'll be fine.

Looks like I'm bouncing back into counselor mode already.... man, I miss Space Camp!
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Biscuit wrote:When you get your first team, don't tell them that they are your first team. Act like you've been working forever - they'll respect you more that way.
Yeah...I was thinking about that...I figured they can smell fear so I'd do well not to show any!

...but at first I was thinking, well, perhaps they behave extra well considering they can consider themselves special that they were my first team.

...but I think they'll just go for blood if they know! :lol:
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Probably depends on the age of the kids you work with also .
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

Most older kids probably wouldn't bother you if it was your first week. There were a few girls on my team though that were rude to some of the counselors.

Counselors make your week really awesome. You may not remember everything from camp but you always remember how awesome your counselors were. Vincent - you would be an awesome counselor. I hope to see you there this summer!!!
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Thats true counselors are one thing that everyone remembers about camp. And i agree vincent would make a great counselor.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I don't remember most of the lectures but I remember how my whole team loved our counselor Michelle. She was so awesome. It was an awesome week and the counselors have a big influence on your week. LB once you're a counsellor you'd be great too!
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Thanks Monkeynautt i just hope i can some day.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

It would be very weird to go from camper to counselor!
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Biscuit
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Biscuit »

Yeah, I guess it would. I can't really relate, because I never went as a child. My parents didn't have the money. But I can honestly say that being a counselor is the best job I've ever had. Just have fun and do your job and don't let your kids break too many rules!
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well in some ways i guess it would be weird to go from camper to counselor but at the same time i would think its like reliving your space camp experiance over and over again.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008