Schollarship questions

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

Bookworm3616
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Schollarship questions

Post by Bookworm3616 »

How is the review process done?

Also, I am in that weird age group. I am a 9th grader, but happen the have a November birthday. Part of the fluid review site says the camps by age but another is by grade. What should I do?
13- Charlie Brown SC week 38
Commander Cup
16- Bowing SA week 38
17- Acidalia AA week 37
Outstanding Team
"Houston, we have a problem"-Apollo 13
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Schollarship questions

Post by majtom7 »

Work on your spelling ;)
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
Bookworm3616
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Bookworm3616 »

I'll make sure of that :D
Commander Cup
16- Bowing SA week 38
17- Acidalia AA week 37
Outstanding Team
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Bookworm3616 wrote: Also, I am in that weird age group. I am a 9th grader, but happen the have a November birthday. Part of the fluid review site says the camps by age but another is by grade. What should I do?
The age ranges are what matter. Unless you see it stated otherwise, I believe that you should attend whatever camp for your age at the time you would be attending camp.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Vince makes a good point. You really wanna stay with your age group. Age isn't really a factor in the adult camps, but for a good cohesive team of youngsters, it's a good practice. That's the reason I did Space Academy Level I twice. In the early 90s, That was the program name for grades 7-9. Level II was for grades 10-12. After getting my Level I wings in 1991, I could have went on to Level II the following year, despite only being in 9th grade. I chose to come back and do Level I again and stay with my age group, and it wound up being the best team and experience of them all.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

For camps and programs where I live, almost everything is done by grade so everyone attending is on the same level of academic understanding. Therefore, my recommendation would be to go in the lowest program you qualify for. If your age puts you with grade 10 students, but you're only in grade 9, go with the camp that is for grade 9. From an academic standpoint, anyway.

That's my recommendation as an experienced educator, though it seems like the other two commenters think differently. Regardless, I am sure you will enjoy either program.

Best of luck on the scholarship application (assuming you're applying for one.)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Bookworm3616
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Bookworm3616 »

Vincent wrote:
Bookworm3616 wrote: Also, I am in that weird age group. I am a 9th grader, but happen the have a November birthday. Part of the fluid review site says the camps by age but another is by grade. What should I do?
The age ranges are what matter. Unless you see it stated otherwise, I believe that you should attend whatever camp for your age at the time you would be attending camp.
Where it gets tricky is due to the Fluid Review (the site Space Camp goes through for scholarships) says two different things. The same with the site.
Commander Cup
16- Bowing SA week 38
17- Acidalia AA week 37
Outstanding Team
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I don't know how this affects the scholarship process, but when choosing a camp level I would consider the social implications over the academic ones. That is, would you rather be the oldest in your group or the youngest?

My opinion is that you'll learn about the same either way, and can always learn more on your own later, but its the social aspect that really makes or breaks your camp experience.
Ad astra per aspera.