Counselor Pay?

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

Revan
Camper
Camper

Counselor Pay?

Post by Revan »

Considering counseling for Space Camp for a bit after college. What's the pay like? Is it liveable (by which I mean, able to buy the necessities at a modest one person residence)?

~Revan
Space Camp 2005, Team Aldrin.
Space Academy 2008, Team Charon
ASA 2009, Team Von Tiesenhausen
12 Day ASA 2010, Team Liberty Bell
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

You wont get richj off of it thats for sure. Not sure what it is nmow but when i worked their it was 8 dollars an hour for counselor 2 and 9 for counselor 3. The diffrence is your availability. Yiu make more if you have open availability. I know they also offered bonuses for being trained in ASA and robotics and a few other things but not everyone is selected for these.

Keep in mind most counselors from out of state live on site for free and get tgheir meals if you can stand the food all summer for free. I knew some who lived off sight but they needed roommates to afford it.

Also when i worked their you were not paid overtime no matter how many hours you worked but i understand that has changed. Not sure how that affected the hours counselors work it may be less now to avoid overtime. Even without over time though we were working on average 75-80 hours or more a week so the money added up after a while.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Jitters
Counselor
Counselor

Re: Counselor Pay?

Post by Jitters »

Revan wrote:Considering counseling for Space Camp for a bit after college. What's the pay like? Is it liveable (by which I mean, able to buy the necessities at a modest one person residence)?

~Revan
Pay for a Level 3 starts at $9 an hour... there are incentives for cross training, but like Boomerang said, you have to get selected by management. You can train for airport, Aviation Challenge, Robotics, Advanced Academy, or ropes. The incentive is $0.25 for each cross training. As far as hours, it depends on what we have going on at camp and how many crew trainers there are. During the spring and summer you can survive on what you make (with a roommate if you're offsite) but it's not easy during the fall and winter season. I definitely recommend living in the Hab for your first year just to get settled and then move offsite. On average, a crew trainer makes about $20,000 a year.
Lauren "Jitters" Bice
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I would also recomend living in the hab to start not just because of the fact its free and aside from other bills you may have like car insurance etc it in my opinion helps you to get to know your coworkers. I know some of my best friends from that summer were the people who lived in the hab. I guess we just got to know eachother better than those who didn't. It is dorm life and you will have responsibilities living their but its worth it.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Revan
Camper
Camper

Post by Revan »

Thank You so much for Your replies. ^^ I take it all into consideration.

~Revan
Space Camp 2005, Team Aldrin.
Space Academy 2008, Team Charon
ASA 2009, Team Von Tiesenhausen
12 Day ASA 2010, Team Liberty Bell