I would like to be a Counselor need info

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

Wildman914
Camper
Camper

I would like to be a Counselor need info

Post by Wildman914 »

Hello all,

I just got back from Adult advanced space academy from 17-22 of august. I had a great time. I had several people on my team 3 or so come up to me and ask me why I am not working here at the musueum or as a counselor since they said I know a good bit of space related stuff.

Eventually one of my team mates talked to I guess the head guy out at area 51 Chuck aka "Bojangles". He seemed very interested about what my teammate told him and he said he would talk to Human resources and gave me his email address so we could keep in contact after camp.
I would love to be a counselor everyone on my team thought so too.
I email him when I got home.

I got a few questions does the counselors all go home after the summer is done or do they stay there all year?? would it be also good to contact the space camp recruiter. I got a application while I was at camp I could fill that out and see what happens. I beleive I fit all the requirements for counselor. thanks for any help and I was just curious do they often check their email when camp is not in session or is there some camp sessions left for this summer?
Last edited by Wildman914 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASA June 1999 Team Armstrong
Adult ASA August 17-22 2008
Team Marshall Right Stuff Award
"shaking with awesomeness"
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well They typicly hire counselors twice a year. January and May look for the january application process to begin in the next couple of months you can apply on the website directly. January they hire space side only may is Ac and sometimes space side as well.

As far as camp being out of session or counselors going home it never realy happens. Space Camp runs year round though there are definate breaks around the holidays unless you are working christmas camp. Counselors live and work there year round. Theoreticly you could be hired in january and work all year. Though you will be laid off for 2 weeks and if desired usualy rehired this keeps you a seasonal employee which is one of the downsides to the job. Seasonal employees arent paid overtime.

Now though the camp is open year round from January till april or so most of the programs are not the traditional camp programs. They tend to be Astrotrek group programs, ultimate firld trip group day long programs, and spotlight whih i believe is a 3 day program. There are some regular camp programs but they dont realy get going till may or so. If you want to work advanced academy get hired in january then you may get trained for it in may but those hired in may are training for the basic camp and academy programs the same time as other counselors are doing advanced academy training. And there is still no guarantee you will get advanced trained.

If you have any other questions just ask.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

A love for space is a great first step towards becoming a Camp counselor. A minimum 2 years of college or equivalent work experience is required. The hiring process for camp counselors will begin in late autumn (keep checking the web site).

Training begins in January for space counselors at Camp and Academy level. The training averages 3 weeks, with additional training on the MCC floor immediately following for selected counselors. Training is demanding. There is a lot of facts and history to memorize and the written exams require a minimum of 85%. In addition, you are required to do oral presentations to demonstrate and learn public speaking/teaching skills. Training days are about 8 hours with no breaks. They prepare you for the long hours as a counselor. A lot of information is thrown at you quickly. You have to have personal discipline to go home every evening and study hard. A lot of folks formed study groups when I went through training. It really helped. Even so, a 40% attrition rate is common.

Believe it or not, spring is a much busier season than summer. As a space counselor you will take a variety of types of teams. New Horizons and Astrotrek groups are large groups (scouts, church, school) of around 25 people, children and adults mixed, who attend for 2 or 3 day programs. They don't do missions, but rather focus on history and technology. They'll probably do some of the astronaut training sims (MAT, 5DF).

Pathfinder is a 3 day program with standard teams (16) of children and adults mixed. Their program is a shortened Space Camp program with one mission.

Spotlight is a 5 day Space Camp program beginning on Monday and is children only. They come from their school with teachers, and sometimes parents, as chaperons. Some groups spend the night, some go home every afternoon at 4. They have two missions during the course of the week.

Additionally there are standard Space Camp programs running concurrently. A lot of these are international students. Last year we had trainees from 57 different countries during the course of the year. Throughout the year we have Parent/Child programs running on weekends.

One thing I loved about being a counselor is the fact that the job changes all the time. One week you might have a week long team, the next week you have a couple of Astrotrek teams, the next week you might be doing support, which I loved because you never knew what you might do next! All in all, it is still the best job I've ever had and the first one to actually use my degree (Drama Education). Yes, you act. Sometimes you use acting skills to excite the children about the subject. Sometimes you use acting skills because you're tired and you can't let the guests see that.

As Boomerang mentioned, there is a second hiring/training in May. If there are sufficient space counselors from the January training the hiring will be for AC counselors only. That is also when Advanced Academy counselors are selected and trained, as well as Robotics and Aviation-hybrid counselors.

Summer winds down in mid-August. By late September we start seeing weeks with no guests. If you want to stay through the winter work is available, but a part time job elsewhere isn't a bad idea. You can limit your availability to just day time (6:30 AM-3 PM), just night time (2:30 PM-11 PM), just weekends (Fri-Sun) or any combination thereof. Christmas camp is the busiest week of the winter usually, with 6 or 7 teams (Space and AC) as well at Parent/Child. It begins on the 27th and ends on New Years Day. You will welcome in the New Year in the cafeteria with pizza, games, wide screen TVs and a couple of hundred munchkins in their PJs.

Apply! Know that you are asking for a demanding, but wonderful job. Yes, in late spring and early summer you will be working sometimes 80 hours a week, but what an amazing place to work! How many chances will you have in life to work somewhere surrounded by the things you love and get to share that love with eager young minds?

Is it hard? Yes, but rewarding. You will touch lives. You will help mold young lives. You will meet and befriend people you will never forget. (You'll meet some you wish you could forget, but let's not go there! :wink: )
Living the dream
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well said Street and thanks for fixing some of my incorrect information. since i was AC and didnt come in tillo may last year i had fairly limited exposire to some of those group types and couldnt remember which was which.

your right the experience is amazing and if you become a counselor it is one you will never forget. yes the hours are long but the days usualy fly by quickly and it ends before you realise it. I have been gone a year now and still am in touch with many of my coworkers and as street can atest to even still visit camp from time to time. Wish it could be more than once a year. And once you are a space camp counselor you always will be its definately something to be proud of. And it looks great on a resume.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Wildman914
Camper
Camper

Post by Wildman914 »

I got a question about the two years experience.
I went to a technical college which some diplomas or certificates last only a couple quarters or semsters but I have over the 30 credit hours requirement listed on the site for different classes. that wouldnt disqualify me in anyway would it? I havent gone to college for two years for a single degree but went several years for different stuff. the website says any major along as you have 30 credit hours.
also I have two years continous work experience could I use that instead of the 2 year college?
other than that I should be fine.

Can I ask how the pay is? I know from reading here no overtime which is fine. the job I currently work at has no overtime too.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I could be mistaken but i believe as long as you have atleast the 30 hours required from an acredited college or university it meets the requirements.

Pay wise
Counselor 1 is 7 dollars an hour this is not a team leader position they work museum sims etc.

Counselor 2 8 dollars an hour this you have flexability with hours and typicly dont work double shifts unless you volunteer to do so you also usualy work weekdays or nights or on weekends but not both again unless you volunteer to do otherwise.

Counselor 3 is 9 dollars an hour but you sign your life away and work whenever they need you up to or over 80 hours a week at times. It isnt as bad as it sounds and truthfuly from what i've seen if you want a chance at advanced academy teams you should get in as a counselor 3.

Their are 25 cent an hour increases for certain certifications such as airport, advanced academy, and robotics, and scheduling.

Ok and keep in mind this is all based on how it was in 2007 Street can correct me if things have changed but as far as i know they have not. And keep in mind even as a counselor 3 you can request days off so don't think you will work nonstop unless you want to.

Training is paid on a stipened i know in 2007 it was 500 dollars paid at the end of trainig. and 100 dollars will be taken 50 at a time from your first 2 pay checks for a uniform deposit which you will get back at the end of your employment if everything is returned.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Wildman914
Camper
Camper

Post by Wildman914 »

ok thanks so much for the info boomerang!
one more question I know for counselors you can stay there in the hab I think I heard from the counselors while I was at camp.
do they charge for rent? I dont mind one bit staying in the hab
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

No if your an ra your room and food is free you have to take on call every few weeks but otherwise you live there free and clear
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Boomerang has it right on the RA status. There are a limited number of rooms for RAs in all three Habs (AC counselors live in Hab 3 during the summer season). RAs must be a Level 2 or higher. The rooms are small and you will have a room mate during the summer, but it's really a pretty good deal and for those used to living in a college dorm, it's not that different. You live there rent free and all meals are free, if eaten in the camp cafeteria. It's a good way to save your summer earnings! You do, as Boomerang mentioned, have 'on call duties', that rotate through the RAs. On the week you are on-call you must be in your room from 11 PM-7 AM. As the on-call counselor you will help security deal with any trainee situations that arise during the night. It might be a child who's taken ill or children up and about in the middle of the night.

As for the question concerning college credits, 30 hours is the requirement. It doesn't have to be in one field of study or towards a bachelors even. Credits earned towards an Associates is accepted as well. I am quite sure technical college credits also count, but check with HR to confirm.

The pay scale listed by Boomerang is still accurate, with the exception of the .25 incentive. Airport duty is no longer an incentive pay item. Level 1 counselors are hired and trained for the sole purpose of working airport and EALD duties.

As far as working through the 'off season', you can request to change your level during certain periods. So if you want to work here year round you could do so and still go to college (locally at one of the excellent schools in the area). All you have to do is move to a Level 2 Counselor, arrange your schedule of classes to be either all day time or all evening classes and then work the opposite at Camp. Loads of counselors do that.

You will earn unbeatable life skills working at Space Camp. Come join our team!
Living the dream
Wildman914
Camper
Camper

Post by Wildman914 »

ah thanks Street for the info.

about the different levels of counselors. do you get to choose which one you want? if so I would really like to do level 3.

If it all works out I would love to work there.
Should I go ahead and put my application in now or wait till it says theres a job opening for counselors under the employment section of the spacecamp website? they usually open the position it up in late autumn?
ill be sure to check the website daily.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

You can chose what level you want to be though it will depend on the camp's needs as well.

keep in mind the level has nothing to do with what programs you teach atleast not directly. Some of the counselors at AC summer of 07were hired as level 3 thinking that meant theyd be mach 3 counselors they were suprised to learn it just mean open availability.

As far as i know just wait till the position is posted on the website. Being an alumni you also have an advantage as they realy like to hire alumni when they can.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Ditto, Boomerang! :wink:

You can choose your level. As Boomerang said, level 2 and 3 teach the same materials to the same folks, it's a matter of availability. Level 2 are available for day, night or weekend (one or more). Level 3 are available for day, night and weekend.

Incase you haven't read the recruitment page on SpaceCamp.com, here 'tis: http://www.spacecamp.com/details.php?ca ... escription If you have any questions just email [email protected] They can give you specific information as to when to apply.

Good luck, and look me up when you get here!
Living the dream