Advise wanted on being a space camp Counselor

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

andystroik
Camper
Camper

Advise wanted on being a space camp Counselor

Post by andystroik »

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if any pervious or current USSRC counselors might be able to help me out.
Here’s a little background on me.
I am 20 years old. I have been to ASA
(Youth 6 day) from 2004 to 2006 mach 3 in 2007 and will attend Adult ASA 6 in august of 2008,
Since 2005 the staff there has known me and has said I would make a good counselor. This fall is the first year I would qualify for the position. To things have me mildly concerned. The requirement that states: Carrying and lifting equipment, supplies, and objects up to 50 lbs. waist high. Also the fact that I may be swim tested. You see I use a walker do to having a mild case of Cerebral Palsy. I am not afraid to swim but won’t call myself a strong swimmer. I use a vest style flotation aid at times depending on the water’s depth. Also I would like to know for what reason they have the 50 LB lifting requirement on there could anyone offer some examples of what and when. I am looking to apply for space side.

I know it’s no walk in the park but LOVE NASA and the USSRC. Every time I leave I feel like “No wait where’s the rewind button.”
I also love to watch NTV when they have a shuttle up, and it’s common for me to use space camp terms among friends and in my thoughts
SCI-VIS ASA Von Braun team member 2004-2006
SCIVIS mach 3 team black lions 2007
Max Carpenter award winner SCIVIS 2007
8/24-8/29 2008 Adult ASA 6-day
Team Kennedy
MS track
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

The ADA states that an employer must make a "Reasonable Accommodation" for a handicapped employee. Make sure you research this and let them know you know it. :wink:
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Though this is true reasonable accomodation as i discovered is highly open to interpretation and is pretty much at the discretion of the employer. Though talking to you i think you will be ok as a counselor.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
JVH
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JVH »

The only "heavy lifting" that I would consider having to do is when you have a team, you are responsible for them on the "Astronaut Sims" (MAT, 1/6th Chair, etc.). The MAT is a beast (big spinning aluminum rings are not the most fun thing to stop).
Purdue University: School of Aeronautics and Astronautics

Level 3 Counselor: Jan- August 2008
ASA Counselor: May - August 2008