Official recruiting announcement

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Official recruiting announcement

Post by Boomerang »

I just got this in my email today from Charity at Space Camp it is the official announcement for recruiting new counselors for January. According to the alumni newsletter they said they are looking to recruit 120 new counselors for that training session. after last summer where alot quit i hope they get close to or on that number this year.

October 9, 2007

Dear Space & Rocket Center Members:

U.S. SPACE CAMP® needs creative brains to inspire youngsters from the age of 9 _ 18 to get excited about math, science, engineering and technology. And we do it through the fascinating hands-on study of space exploration and aviation.

If you or someone you know would be interested in experiencing this exciting job opportunity and have completed 30 hours of college credit, please contact us as soon as possible. Our Space Camp Counselor training begins January 2008 with employment beginning immediately upon completion and we want YOU to be part of it. If you are still in school, why not consider cooperative education or a paid internship for college credit. We will work one on one with you to design an internship that best meets your needs.

For more information and a basic job description, please visit our website, www.spacecamp.com/hr and follow the link to _More Information on Becoming a Counselor_. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact a recruiter at (256) 721-7486, (256) 721-7112, (256) 721-7127 or by e-mail: [email protected].

Thank you for allowing us to inform you of our exciting employment opportunities, and I hope you will give us favorable consideration.

Sincerely,

Charity Nehls

Recruitment Manager
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

I really wanted to apply for this Jan but school is more important right now. I plan on applying for the summer session asap.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
street
Counselor
Counselor

Re: Official recruiting announcement

Post by street »

Boomerang wrote:after last summer where alot quit i hope they get close to or on that number this year.
A lot quit every year. It's perfectly normal for them to have to recruit 100+ every winter. This summer was no different than any other.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Alot quit yes you are right and i'm sure thasts common. However i was there this summer even management who have been there fr years said they had never seen that many people quit during the course of the summer. I don't know if it was they just werne cut out for the job or this summer was tiougher than most or what but it was well established among those who worked there this sumnmer it was an unussual ammount of people quitting.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Pancho
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Pancho »

Boomerang wrote:Alot quit yes you are right and i'm sure thasts common. However i was there this summer even management who have been there fr years said they had never seen that many people quit during the course of the summer. I don't know if it was they just werne cut out for the job or this summer was tiougher than most or what but it was well established among those who worked there this sumnmer it was an unussual ammount of people quitting.
Leaving Sprocket earlier than expected during seasonal employment comes from two things: 1. Lack of interest / participation - not many people actually enjoy the long hours, working with kids 24/7, and living the closed-in life of a counselor despite the best efforts of many to make the job sound better than it actually is. 2. There is a fundamental difference between leadership and management. Basic leadership skills used to be reviewed with counselors during training - there are quite a few people that have remained managers who couldn't lead their way out of a paper bag.
We got two categories of pilots around here. We got your prime pilots that get all the hot planes, and we got your pud-knockers who dream about getting the hot planes. Now what are you two pud-knockers gonna have?

Space Camp - Class of 1983-1990
kap
Counselor
Counselor

Applicant

Post by kap »

Hey-
I applied to become a counselor after getting this email (I am an SC/AC alumni) and was wondering about something. How does one go about becoming an Aviation Challenge counselor specifically, from my memories of camp most of the AC counselor had done Space Camp too, is this something they assign you to or is it something you can pick?

Thanks,
AC Counselor hopeful
Space Camp Team Leader Jan 2008-May 2008: One of the Best Jobs I've Ever Had

Mach III - Spring 2002 - Spring 2003, Top Gun 02
Mach II - Spring 1998 - Spring 2001, Top Gun 99, 01
Space Camp FLORIDA - Spring 1996-Spring 1997
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

If you apply for January you'll be up top at Space Camp. If you work the summer, you could be either SC or AC, depending on what camp needs. For the past few summers only AC has been hired in the summer.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Monkeynaut is correct on this. However if you are hired in January they typicly ask for space counselors willing to cross train at Ac in May. i know we had several who did this past summer. Getting hired in January is a good way to get your foot in the door but is no guarantee of getting AC trained. Getting hired in May if the last few years olds true you will be AC trained from the start but good luck getting space trained then
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Are counselors considered Alabama state employees? For that matter, how is camp related to the state?
Ad astra per aspera.