What's the word on working this summer?

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Yeah, I know 14th is standard. Due to my exam schedule, I asked for one more day. I'll still be arriving on the 14th, it'll just be mid-day or so.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Drug testing... wow... is it an automatic fail if they cannot find a vein? (Or worse, if they find track marks! :P )

Haha... best of luck everyone! Have fun with your training and keep us updated. :-)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Thankfullt most preemployment drug testing in this country is done by urine sample not blood sample these days. I'm assuming this would be the same. Sometimes they even take hair because drugs last longer in hair cells than urine or blood aparently. I've only had a hair sample taken once ussualy its just urine
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Yes, Jenn you pee in a cup. (Though I have never actually been required
to take this.)

Don't eat poppy seed muffins or take over the counter drugs like Sudafed.
Either of these read off as opiates or meth respectively.
And be good. :-)

--des
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Wow, drug testing up here for jobs is rare, so I don't really know how they do it here. I have seen 'workplace drug screening' on the requisition form though, so some places must do it.

Just don't do drugs... it doesn't get more simple than that. :-)
- Jennifer -
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

It isn't quite so simple. Many prescription and over the counter drugs mimic the reactions of illegal drugs. The tests I think are pretty crude, as there are ways to tell the difference between thousands of drugs. But this would cost money. Don't get me going on the war on drugs as this is OT. If you take prescription medication you need to tell them, of course that seems to be your business not there's.

But anyway, I didn't congradulate you on the job!

--des
SpaceCanada wrote:Wow, drug testing up here for jobs is rare, so I don't really know how they do it here. I have seen 'workplace drug screening' on the requisition form though, so some places must do it.

Just don't do drugs... it doesn't get more simple than that. :-)
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Des your right about that. Thankfully i dont think the preventative antibiotics i take show up on a drug screen but i will make sure they know about them just to be safe but then i was going to do that anyway. I agree it is a violation odf a persons privacy for them to have to tell an employr everything they take but it is nessecary to weed out the possibility of illegal drugs. I'm not as worried about the drug test as i am abiut having to pass all the traininig tests with an 85 or better.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Oh geez... training tests? Ugh... that should be difficult. But then again, this is fun stuff. If it were Camp, I'd probably pass with flying colors, but here, I'll have to learn all kinds of new things. Oh no...

I'm sure we'll all do fine, though.

I'm really excited! The only other thing I'm personally worried about is the fact that it's AC and I'm not used to that. I'm sure I'll get used to it, though... and the tougher program should actually help me get in shape a little. I am actually planning to volunteer to lead PT!
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

And I agree that there is no worry with antibiotics. I think the problem kinds of medications are anything for colds (they contain things like pseudoephedrine and belladona). I think the problem is with people taking antidepressants, anticonvulsants, etc. This society isn't quite as open minded as we like to think and I worry that people are discriminated against.

What kind of training tests, Jason?

There was sort of a goofy test when I went to SA. This was a test with lots of questions re the shuttle and so on. I actually studied (didn't really know about the test I think) but I learned all the acrynomns I could find and studied the Shuttle Operator's Handbook. Remember that one? It might be why I got to be commander. I got the highest score. Or then again I might have been geekier. :-))

--des
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

The counselor training mannual mentions them which everyone who has been hired should have atleast looked at. These test are on training topics i'm assuming info we need to know. sim operations stuff like that. All nw counselors have to beable to pass them all with atleast an 85 you get 2 tries to do so. The mannual isnt real specific except to say they are related to training some written some practical.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

The tests I'm sure I can handle if I study, but one thing I'm wondering about is the swim test. I know I can pass a swim test, but it takes me a lot of endurance and treading water temporarily to do it. Do you think they want me to be able to pass with flying colors? I sure hope there's some leeway there...
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

hummm........ How deep does the lake go.. i though i read somewhere 4 ft is the deepest...... thats not even deep enough to tred...

I got a scuba certif.. I when i was practicing i i would max out at around 50 mins of s tread.... then i would cramp up.... swim test would be a cake walk...
ASA Oct 99 ---> Noodles, friend of SpaceCanada
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well the swim test is not one i have to worry about though i am capable of swimming if i had to just with the arms getting me in and out of the water would be another issue. But the camp is aware that i am limited on some thigs and are seeming willing to work with what i can do. Also found out today looks like i will actually be staying in hab 2 to make it easier to beable to get to meals at times whem i dont have to be at the lake that way i'm topside and dont have to worry about transportation back. They said they have a van that can transport wheel chairs but its a hassle. And i can get in and out of someones car easy enough.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Oh and i hope you guys have atleast looked at the counselor maunal because there is a list of things that you need to bring with you. Some relating to being an RA others to being a counselor in general some of it is uniform stuff. I know i didnt hve it all and had to get some of the stuff.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Yeah, since I'm stuck at college I'm sending my parents an email tomorrow about all that.

Can any previous counselor speak about the swim test? Like I said, I know I can "pass" a swim test (I can do the distance, it just takes me a while), I just don't know if I can do it quickly enough if there's a time requirement.
wayfarersgirl
Counselor
Counselor

Post by wayfarersgirl »

There was definitely not a difficult time requirement for SC counselors. There are always qualified life guards on duty, whose responsibility it is to deal with any serious issues that come up. I'm not sure what they want in the AC counselors, what with water survival training. It might even depend on what age group it is; Mach III counselors may have stricter requirements than Mach I, etc. I barely remember the swim test for SC counselor, it was so basic. Pretty much "can you float?" and that was it.
There's nothing beyond the sky. The sky just is, and it goes on and on, and we play all our games beneath it.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Swim test up here generally have the word 'continuous' in them someplace, meaning you cannot stop midway through to tread. I woud suggest that instead of stopping to tread water that you go onto your back and kick and wave your hands (like you are waving at your toes) under water. It still propells you forwards whilst giving you a 'rest' of sorts. That, or do the whole swim test on your back so you can breathe the whole time - that sometimes helps (unless you don't swim well on your back).

Ah yes... the joys of swim tests... I think I have to renew mine in October - 600m in 14 minutes.
- Jennifer -
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

600 meters? Huh?

Anyway, though I have a ton of exam studying to do, I'm going to see if I can stop by our pool on campus at some point today to at least try a few techniques. We'll see.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

That's my swim test for work, here... not at AC! I am a swimming/lifesaving instructor so we get fun swim tests every two years.

Don't go all bunk about the swim test. If it were anything significant they would have put the specifics in the requirements.
- Jennifer -
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Haha, that's a relief.

I'm sure I can handle this. If I get a chance, I might head down to my school's pool between exams tomorrow just to go for a quick swim. I like the semi-backstroke idea, too... that should help. And if I remember properly from when I used to swim, I wasn't that bad at doing an underwater breast stroke, either. I'm sure I can handle it if I switch techniques every now and then.