International Space Camp 2003

Been to an International Space Camp session, either in Huntsville or around the world? Talk about it with others here!

Moderator: Vincent

Andy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

International Space Camp 2003

Post by Andy »

I was searching the web for Space Camp sites and found this one. I am another of the two finnish students selected for ISC 2003 and it would be great to exchange some thoughts about the coming camp with other participants. There are lots of good reports from the earlier camps in the web which give some information what to expect from the camp.

I am also interested if someone is going to go to New York after the camp. I have planned to put off my homeflight at least for a week and travel along the east coast.

I hope that the SARS doesn't spoil our camp.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well its great to have an international camper on the forum. I know you'll love space camp. I've been to camp a cpouple times during the international camp over the years and have met many campers from diffrent countries including France, Vietnam, Spain, and Egypt. Its always cool to meet people from other parts of the world. Can't wait to hear what you thought of camp when you get back.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

When is International week this year?
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
Andy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Andy »

International Space Camp 2003 is held in 7/25-8/2. I'm not sure if the dates are correctly written, but I think you get it.

I nearly fainted when I found out that I was chosen to participate in this years ISC. :D I knew that I wrote a good essay but usually I don't have any luck in this kind of contests. Last year I applied to physics summer school in Star City(I can't remember the russian name) near Moscow but had no luck.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

My friend and I almost went that week. That would have been really cool. We decided to make it our second choice b/c my birthday is during that week and my family usually goes on vacation that week.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I think the international space camp is always sometime in July. I went during that week a couple of times and it was always cool. The one i remember most is in 96 when we had international space camp that week and they were also celebrating the upcoming olympics. If i had gone to Academy Level 2 that week instead of AC i would have had more exposure to the international students and would have been able to see one leg of the olympic torch relay when it went past space camp.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Andy,
Hey i will also be at camp for international week though i am American! I am sure you will have tons of fun and maybe i will see you there!!!!
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

You'll have a great time Andy!!! Space camp is a blast!!!
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Space Camp is always great but international weeks are even better. You get to meet trainees from all over the world who have a real intrest in space.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Andy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Andy »

Only one hit so far. This site might be hard to find, but the number of enthusiastic participants is over 100 plus the Americans. I am little surprised that only me and Space Nerd have found the forum. I found it after half an hour search. Have you tried to get a link from the official site?

BTW does anyone of you have special interest on flying or aviation? I have been bitten by a fly-bug since I was a little kid. I started hang-gliding when I was 15 and fell in love with that sport.

DaVinci knew the feeling. Sadly he never succeeded to put his plane into practise.
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I was bit the aviation bug, too. Actually, it was Space Camp that got me into it. When I went in FL, we were able to go fro a ride in a Cessna. After that, I started taking lessons and I'll get my private licence soon.
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I'm a big aviation buff as well. Even before i went to space camp i was bit by that bug. Ofcourse growing up near an airforce base and 2 good size airports will do that. I remember going to the airport as a little kid just to watch the plains take off and land. Thats probably one reason i also loved AC. I also try to attend any local air shows we have here.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Andy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Andy »

I have also flown few hours in a Cessna. Local aviation club helps the finnish forest administration by searching forest fires when the weather is hot and I have been one of the observers on those flights.

Personally I prefer unmotored flying. Nothing beats the feeling when you find a thermal and rise to the cloudbase without any external help. Only sounds that you can hear are the wind and your variometer which tells you if you go upwards or downwards.

Nevertheless I must admit that WW2 planes are awesome. :lol:
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

The only unpowered flight I had was hangliding in Tennessee. It was awesome. Unfortunatly, we have no handgliding in Florida, or I would do a lot of it.
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I also love World War 2 aircraft. What is your favorite. Mine has to be the F4-U1D corsair flown by the Navy and Marine corps in the pacific.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Andy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Andy »

Benji: You should check the US Hang-gliding associations web site http://www.ushga.org. There are lots of hang-gliding clubs in Florida. Becouse of the flat terrain in Florida there may be no foot launch sites, but aero towing is a very good option. It means that hang-glider is towed behind a microlight aircraft. The hills in southern Finland aren't either high enough for foot launching. Thats why we have developed a very efficient way to tow gliders behind a car.

LB206:My favorite WW2 aircraft is definitely B239 "Brewster". "The pearl of the skies" like the finnish aces used to call it. It may not be the most beautiful one or for sure not the fastest, but it was a delight to fly.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i'm somewhat familiar with the Brewster although by the start of WW 2 it was a bit outdated if i'm not mistaken. But it did see some action early on i know. But i still prefer the bent wing bird.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Andy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Andy »

The US Navy/Marines version of the Brewster was too heavy. The American pilots didn't like it. The already manufactured planes were sold to Finns during Winter War. Extra armor plates and other useless equipment were removed, which gave the planes very good handling characteristics. Sadly the planes were little bit late so the Winter War ended before the Brewster arrived.

Brewsters were used in the Continuation war against soviets. The lighter version of the Brewster performed very well against early soviet fighters and latter models of soviet fighters were in no means superior.

Later it was replaced by BF109 G-2 and G-6 models, which were faster and had better armor.
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Don't know if this would interest anyone, but my uncle has rebuilt two Steerman (sp?) basically from scratch. He takes me up when I go over to his house and it's a lot of fun. He even built a landing strip in the field behind his house.
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Thanks for the suggestion, Andy. I'd looked before but couldn't find anything. I found one kind of far from me, but not too far.
Ad astra per aspera.