International Space Camp (in Huntsville in July)

Been to an International Space Camp session, either in Huntsville or around the world? Talk about it with others here!

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

While at camp i've met people from France, vietnam, and Spain over the years.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

There were three boys from Panama the same week I went last year.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

The first time I went to camp, in 1997, it was during international week. We didn't have a dance...maybe that came a few years later. I remember there were kids from New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, France, Spain, Turkey, Canada, and a few others...I can't remember them all...and they were all in my group. Only 8 people in my group were from the United States. Some of the people had trouble communicating with us. Also, some of the other campers had different ideas of "personal space"-they would touch your arms or your back when they were talking to you, right after they met you, which made some of us uncomfortable. But, being a team, we had to overcome some of those barriers and work together to survive our EDM. It was a great week to be a camper once you get used to some of those accents.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

That is something that is very strange to us in the United States the touching part anyway. In many countries people greet eachother with a kliss on the cheek or a hug. In this country we have a very large area of personal space compared to many others. And in many other cojuntries it is not unusual for sopmeone to stand very close when talking to you. This is one reason international sopace camp is so great is you learn about other cultures.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I went to Istanbul quite a no of years ago. It was not at all unusual to see many male friends walking hand in hand, hugging and kissing. These were not gay people, just regular folks and this was just the way it was there.
I imagine they would find us rather "stand offish", rather literally so.

--des
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

I used to love ISC, but it was in the days before they had dances. One year, they brought in the 50 Teachers of the Year from each state. It was always an exciting week. The first summer (1991) I was working Discovery Sims so I got to interact with even more international kids, but the two summers after that I was a team lead. Lots of fun!!!