Oct 2016 Camp

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

ihavetwins
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Oct 2016 Camp

Post by ihavetwins »

Anyone out there going to Adv SA Oct 9-14 as a First Timer? Are you staying in the Hab or camping at the Marriott? Do folks "hang" during down time (if there is any :) )?
TahoeMinx
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Re: Oct 2016 Camp

Post by TahoeMinx »

Yes! My husband, Mike, and I will be first timers. It's a surprise for him. He knows we're going on vacation and that it involves scuba, but nothing more. I had wondered about where to stay, but quite a few people on this forum said that staying in the Hab is part of the experience, so that's what I've planned. We have to stay in separate gender - based dorms. If Mike is too uncomfortable in the bunks (he's 6'2"), I figure we can probably move to the Marriott later. We'll also be staying there the night before and the night after camp. It doesn't sound like we'll have much down time, but I'd love to hang out! I'm also hoping we get the chance to go to Oktoberfest there....
ihavetwins
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by ihavetwins »

Thanks for the reply. See you soon!
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

You are doing it right, TahoeMinx! You will get the best of both worlds by staying in the Hab for the duration of Camp and bonding with your teammates, AND getting Marriott time as well. Any time gained by arriving early or leaving late is a valuable bonus that you will be happy you had later. Just being able to reflect on the experience you had with all of your new friends while sitting out on the patio looking up at the Saturn V is priceless in itself and beats sitting in an airport or on a plane. It's a luxury few campers get, so please enjoy it! The Marriott in and of itself has its own place in Space Camp history and folklore so consider that part of your experience, even if you are away from your teammates. But do try to stay in the Hab if you can, at least during your session so you can be with your teammates as much as possible. Enjoy the Biergarten under the Saturn V and try the jagerschnitzel its delicious!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner