Accomodation included?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Accomodation included?

Post by Feuerfresser »

Hello all,

I think this question was answered in some other threads, but couldn't find it.
So my simple question: Are Accomodations included in the price of ASA?

Regards
Oliver
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Accomodation included?

Post by gt0163c »

Feuerfresser wrote:So my simple question: Are Accomodations included in the price of ASA?
Yes. Barring construction, renovations or anything else unusual, you will be assigned a room in Hab 1. These are rooms with seven bunks (two lower, five upper), a built in table and bench and lockers. They're pretty basic and sized for kids (shorter men and average height women fit well. Taller men have some trouble stretching out) but they work. If you don't have a full room (and you probably won't), you might find it more comfortable if you borrow a mattress from another bunk so you have two. There are multiple threads on suggestions for things to bring to make your room a bit more comfy. Ear plugs, eye shades and power strips seem to top each list.

If you don't want to stay in the Hab, you can always get a room at the Marriott hotel next door to the Center. This, however, will be at your own expense.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I have found that some good white noise helps a lot in the hab.
In adult camps, they normally have 2 people per room, but one year, my pal Steve and I had two other guys in the room with us. We all got along and it was no problem, but 4 adults can be a tight fit in one of the HAB1 rooms...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Has the USSRC ever thought about renting air mattresses to adults? It seems like a low cost solution to the mattress problems. Of course, there would be cleaning & storage. Yet if you break/trash it, you buy it.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

May seem like a tight fit for adults but as I understand it the hab 1 rooms are suppose top be the same amount of living space as space shuttles had when not carrying space lab or space hab so may be a tight fit but gives you a since of astronaut life
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

According to the Space Shuttle Operator's Manual, shuttle bunks were 1.75 x 0.75 meters which translates to 69 x 30 inches. They, however, had the best "mattress", i.e., weightlessness.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino