Medication

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Eyesangela
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Medication

Post by Eyesangela »

I see that for kids they take and hand out the medication. Question is do they do that for adults too or can I keep my medicine on me and just take it when needed. Thanks
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Medication

Post by majtom7 »

Adults are do it yourself to the best of my knowledge.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I thought all the self-medication took place at the bar at the Marriott on nights after training was over? :lol:
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

p51 wrote:I thought all the self-medication took place at the bar at the Marriott on nights after training was over? :lol:
We go to the LIBRARY to study!

Yes, adults don't need to have their meds doled out by the Camp Nurse. At least, I never did that.
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Phoenix PK wrote:We go to the LIBRARY to study!
Actually, I think it was the 2nd day of the 4-day program in 2014 before I realized that people were referring to the bar. I had no idea until then that this was the name of the place, though I knew it wasn't called, "Otter's" anymore. They needed to do a rebuild of the bar as it was well looking its age, but why change the name of a institution? It will always be Otter's to the old folks who went to SC and had a few too many there.
Phoenix PK wrote:Yes, adults don't need to have their meds doled out by the Camp Nurse. At least, I never did that.
Yeah, I carry my own (mostly over the counter) stuff for the usual possible things that can happen to a middle-aged man on the road. I'm an adult and have been so for a while now, I don't need to be treated like a child or an addict by relying on some SC person just to take, say, some ibuprofrin for a headache after the centrifuge or something like that...
Skidmark

street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

We figure adults are responsible enough to self medicate. If you are here a week when there are no children's programs the nurse doesn't even spend the night on site.

As to visiting the location formerly known as Otter's, please remember that you will not be allowed to return to the dorm if you are visibly intoxicated. You should also NOT bring in that sort of beverage. We've had serious problems with both this year with adult camps. Remember, a few bad apples will spoil the basket. If that sort of situation continues it could be the permanent demise of Adult programs! There is no reason we should find empty whiskey bottles in the Waste Management trash cans in the Habitat.

Even if you are an adult, this is still primarily a kids camp, and we don't allow tobacco or alcohol use around the kids. During special events on site you'll never see kids anywhere near that.
Living the dream
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

street wrote: There is no reason we should find empty whiskey bottles in the Waste Management trash cans in the Habitat.
Agreed yet how do you know that those bottles are from adult campers?
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

majtom7 wrote:Agreed yet how do you know that those bottles are from adult campers?
Because it was all adults and family camp. I'm pretty sure the parents of the kids aren't letting them knock down the whiskey while at camp, so it was either adult camp or the adults in the parent/child camp.
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Drinking will always be a problem with some adults in a situation like that. In the military, every time I went on temporary duty, there were always some people who'd get a sauced as they could. Nothing was more bile-inducing than being in a formation run and it smelling like a brewery... at 0500 on a Tuesday! I never was that big a drinker anyway (I never liked feeling like I was out of control) but growing up in a college town, getting booze was the preferred pastime of anyone who hadn't yet reached 21. That, too, got old. I'll never forget running past a off-campus bar of St Patty's day with my ROTC class about 0700 or so and seeing the bar filled with drinkers.
The last time I was at SC, there were a few bottom-feeders who were getting as much to drink as they could at the bar at the Marriott. One especially socially impaired individual made a comment about a female teammate of mine and to this day has no idea how close he got to a trip to the ER.
And yes, I've walked some 'slightly inebriated" teammates of mine through the side gate to the HAB at night on a few occasions.
I have little patience of empathy for drinkers. The apple didn't fall far from the tree, because neither side of the family were into alcohol much (unless you count the moonshiners on Mom's side of the family during prohibition).
The idea that someone is going for the 'rotgut' hard stuff in the HAB? Man, that's just wrong.
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

street wrote:Because it was all adults and family camp. I'm pretty sure the parents of the kids aren't letting them knock down the whiskey while at camp, so it was either adult camp or the adults in the parent/child camp.
More than likely but that is still circumstantial. Others come in the HAB including counselors and other USSRC personnel. They could have tossed them out there. Someone could have found the empties hidden in their room and tossed them. You'd be surprised at the number of teenagers with drinking and drug problems. There are several possible explanations other than it must have been the adults attending, although that is the likeliest explanation. Probably some parents having a few pops since they were unable to leave their kids to go to the Marriott.. Just playing devil's advocate here...

I remember the last 24 EDM I did many years ago. One guy spent his time off at Otter's and when it was his turn to be on station at midnight, he claimed he had space sickness and went to sleep in one of the modules.
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

majtom7 wrote:More than likely but that is still circumstantial. Others come in the HAB including counselors and other USSRC personnel. They could have tossed them out there. Someone could have found the empties hidden in their room and tossed them. You'd be surprised at the number of teenagers with drinking and drug problems. There are several possible explanations other than it must have been the adults attending, although that is the likeliest explanation. Probably some parents having a few pops since they were unable to leave their kids to go to the Marriott.. Just playing devil's advocate here...

I remember the last 24 EDM I did many years ago. One guy spent his time off at Otter's and when it was his turn to be on station at midnight, he claimed he had space sickness and went to sleep in one of the modules.
Considering it was a one off happening, it probably wasn't a counselor. They also know they'd been gone immediately when discovered. I'm not surprised at the number of teens with drinking and drug problems. I've been here 12 years and have raised two daughters to adulthood. I'm am well aware of what teens can get into. That said, we only had adult camp and family camp the weekend those bottles were found, so that rules out teens with drinking problems. It was an adult, either with adult camp or family camp.
Living the dream
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

You mean that management considers a one off a serious problem?
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

When I worked there it was made very clear to us that drinking in the Hab or coming back extremely enebriated was a huge transgression. Not saying drinking doesn't happen among counselors but most know their limits and either stop or go somewhere else for the night atleast in my experience.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Understandable for employees who are working with kids yet an interesting attitude for adult customers considering that they run a biergarten....
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I think you have to consider that the main attendees of the camp are still children. So yes the Beir Garten has become a regular event each week it should stay at that event and drunk adults coming back on campus whether from that or from a local bar may still be seen by children. Or by parents who are attending the Family camps which might make them question sending kids back to the camp.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008