Difference Advanced Academy?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Difference Advanced Academy?

Post by Feuerfresser »

Hi all,

what is the difference between "Adult Space Academy" and "Adult Advanced Space Academy".
What would you recommend for a "First Timer" to book?

Best regards
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Difference Advanced Academy?

Post by Vincent »

Other can elaborate but, in short, Adult Space Academy is the weekend program while Adult ASA is the weeklong program.

If you want to dip your toe in, Adult SA is a good way to do it. It's a sold 3-day program that lets you get a flavor of everything Space Camp has to offer.

ASA has more of everything contained in the weekend program. More missions, longer missions, more classroom time, etc. Lots of people start out with the weekend program and then decide to go all out for a week long program, and others just go for the entire week right away.
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Vincent summed it up well. I've never done the weekend program, but I can speak for the current incarnation (or last fall's incarnation) of the week-long program. In a word, it's awesome! Four full days plus a half day on either end of pretty much non-stop activity. We did four one-hour shuttle missions (you rotate positions so you're in mission control for two, shuttle and station for one each), a two-hour Mars mission (which can also be configured as a moon mission) and a 12-hour long duration mission. We also designed a mission patch, built and launched model rockets, scuba-ed in the big tank (Underwater Astronaut Trainer), flew F-18 simulators and rode the centrifuge at Aviation Challenge, spent time at Area-51 on the team building course and the climbing wall, toured Marshall, had lectures from one of the guys who drives Opportunity on Mars, a skype call with a flight controller at Johnson, got to spend time hearing from and talking with retired astronauts Bob Springer and Hoot Gibson (for those on the Train With an Astronaut track. The Train Like an Astronaut track people got a few lectures from them but didn't have the opportunity to eat with, be trained by, spend more informal time with), got a tour of the Saturn V from a retired engineer who worked on the electronics and did a bunch of other stuff.
It's exhausting and exhilarating and full of awesome people.
It's also not cheap and requires a full week (program runs Sunday afternoon - Friday noon-ish). There were a couple of first-timers on the teams last October and they had as great a time as the returning alumni. If you can swing the week-long and can keep up with the pace, I definitely recommend it.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

Thanks for this informations :-)
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

gt0163c wrote:Vincent summed it up well. I've never done the weekend program, but I can speak for the current incarnation (or last fall's incarnation) of the week-long program. In a word, it's awesome! Four full days plus a half day on either end of pretty much non-stop activity. We did four one-hour shuttle missions (you rotate positions so you're in mission control for two, shuttle and station for one each), a two-hour Mars mission (which can also be configured as a moon mission) and a 12-hour long duration mission. We also designed a mission patch, built and launched model rockets, scuba-ed in the big tank (Underwater Astronaut Trainer), flew F-18 simulators and rode the centrifuge at Aviation Challenge, spent time at Area-51 on the team building course and the climbing wall, toured Marshall, had lectures from one of the guys who drives Opportunity on Mars, a skype call with a flight controller at Johnson, got to spend time hearing from and talking with retired astronauts Bob Springer and Hoot Gibson (for those on the Train With an Astronaut track. The Train Like an Astronaut track people got a few lectures from them but didn't have the opportunity to eat with, be trained by, spend more informal time with), got a tour of the Saturn V from a retired engineer who worked on the electronics and did a bunch of other stuff.
It's exhausting and exhilarating and full of awesome people.
It's also not cheap and requires a full week (program runs Sunday afternoon - Friday noon-ish). There were a couple of first-timers on the teams last October and they had as great a time as the returning alumni. If you can swing the week-long and can keep up with the pace, I definitely recommend it.
I will add that the rotation of positions is usually unbalanced as there are more MOCR positions so some folks end up with more flight assignments while others spend more time in MOCR. Also, some of the activities of last year's weeklong such as the lecture and Skype call were above and beyond the usual. We will have to see if they become the norm.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino