Married couples

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

TahoeMinx
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Married couples

Post by TahoeMinx »

Hello!

First time (hopefully), adult camper here. Hoping to surprise my husband with the 6-day camp this fall, and would really love to hear from any married couples who have attended ASC together!

Thanks!
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Married couples

Post by SpaceCanada »

I surprised my husband with a trip to Space Camp in 2013. We went back again in 2015. We thoroughly enjoyed both of our times at camp together. What would you like to know?

For the record, you will be assigned separate rooms on opposite ends of the Hab (one end or females, one for males).
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

SpaceCanada wrote:For the record, you will be assigned separate rooms on opposite ends of the Hab (one end or females, one for males).
So you may have to get creative ;)
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
TahoeMinx
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by TahoeMinx »

Thank you both for the replies.

Jennifer, did you stay in the hab or at the Marriott? And if we start out in the hab, but my husband is too uncomfortable there, can we move to the Marriott later in the week? I think the hub would be kind of campy fun myself, but at 6'2", I'm worried my husband might find the bunks a bit too cramped. Any tall guys out there wanna comment?

Did you do the longer camp? And when did you reveal the surprise? I'm hoping to not tell him anything until we actually land in Huntsville, but I heard something about a form signed by our doctor? Or is that just for the children's camp?

Thanks again.

P.S. majtom7, from what I've read about the long exhausting days, who knows if we'll have a chance to "get creative" - might have to just look forward to an extra night at the Marriott after camp is over. :wink:
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

TahoeMinx wrote: but I heard something about a form signed by our doctor? Or is that just for the children's camp?

Thanks again.

P.S. majtom7, from what I've read about the long exhausting days, who knows if we'll have a chance to "get creative" - might have to just look forward to an extra night at the Marriott after camp is over. :wink:
I believe the doctor's signature applies if you're doing scuba in the UAT, otherwise it's unnecessary.

Very true about the long days but when you're young at heart ;)

BTW, wish we were going to be in Tahoe next weekend for Sammy, Joe, Mikey, and Chad.. It's been a LONG time since we were there last.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

We stayed in Habitat 1 (the Hab). I don't see why you couldn't transfer to the Marriott in the middle of camp if you were uncomfortable. Just let your counsellor know so they can check you out of your Hab rooms. Though, staying in the Hab is part of the immersive camp experience... I'm not sure I'd ever want to stay elsewhere. We had some tall guys on our team who stayed in the Hab too. My husband is 6' tall and there were two guys taller than him on our team (both years.)

My husband and I were both there for Corporate Space Camp which was a week long. As we have to travel in from Canada, we arrived a few days early and stayed a few days late each time as well, so we spent plenty of time at camp, the Hab, and the USSRC.

I waited until the very last minute to tell my husband, but the inevitable camp SCUBA health form and doctor's visit was the day I caved. There was a way to have the forms signed without ruining the surprise, but his initials and signature were required and I didn't want him to sign them blindly without reading them. If you don't SCUBA you don't need the doctor's signature, just your husband's signature on a health form that's easy enough to disguise by covering the camp letterhead at the top and bottom. In all honesty, getting ready for camp was more fun once he knew about camp, as he started getting more serious about space stuff and studying all my space book, watching space shows, etc. It was fun to get that last month of excitement in together. (And it was a bit of relief because I wasn't sure if he'd be as excited as he was...)
- Jennifer -
TahoeMinx
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by TahoeMinx »

majtom7, let us know when you plan on coming back to Tahoe - we'll definitely have to get together. Looking forward to summer - although we had snow last night!

SpaceCanada, thanks for the advice. You make some very good points. I definitely want to do the UAT, so I guess I'm going to have to say something. How soon before camp did you have to submit the completed forms? I'm probably getting ahead of myself, being as registration hasn't even opened yet, but I'm so excited about this. :D
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Corporate Space Camp forms have different due dates than regular camp. Once you register you will be given the form deadlines. If I recall correctly, forms have to arrive at camp at least two weeks prior to your arrival day. Don't hold me to that though...

If you have the ability to SCUBA I highly recommend you try it. So. Much. Fun.
- Jennifer -
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

TahoeMinx wrote: I think the hub would be kind of campy fun myself, but at 6'2", I'm worried my husband might find the bunks a bit too cramped. Any tall guys out there wanna comment
I'm 6 feet exactly and I only fit in the bunks in the HAB diagonally.
It's not a comfortable experience.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador