Germany meets Space Camp ;-)

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Germany meets Space Camp ;-)

Post by Feuerfresser »

Hi there,

I am Oliver, living in Germany. So sorry for my English languae - it's not perfect.

I spent some times at Kennedy Space Center and did the ATX there in October 2015.
Hope to take part in Space Camp Adults next year (2017).

Maybe you can answer some of my questions about Space Camp in Alabama:

- Is it possible to earn wings in a adult space camp? How do they look like at the moment?
- Do we learn in a space shuttle mockup or only in other spacecrafts?
- Is it possible to order a patch, the team has created to stick it on a flightsuit?

I plan a trip to Florida with my wife. We wanna go to the north of the Golf coast, maybe Miramar Beach or Pensacola. I think this would be in vicinity of Huntsville, so that I can go by car to Space Camp during some days. My wife won't like to participate Space Camp, so she hat to do anything else in that time. Do you think Huntsville offers good opportunities for my wife, so that the time isn't that boring for her? What could you recommend to do in Huntsville for not-spaceflight-enthausiastic-people?

Many thanks and I hope to hear from you

Regards
Oliver
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Germany meets Space Camp ;-)

Post by Vincent »

Feuerfresser wrote:Is it possible to earn wings in a adult space camp?
Yep!
Feuerfresser wrote:Do we learn in a space shuttle mockup or only in other spacecrafts?
Space Camp currently has multiple Space Shuttle simulators, and one Orion/capsule simulator. In addition to having missions in these simulators, there is ample classroom time to get you familiar with the basics of spaceflight, manned spaceflight history, etc.
Feuerfresser wrote:Is it possible to order a patch, the team has created to stick it on a flightsuit?
It's possible to take your team's patch and have a third party make the patch.
Feuerfresser wrote:I plan a trip to Florida with my wife. We wanna go to the north of the Golf coast, maybe Miramar Beach or Pensacola. I think this would be in vicinity of Huntsville, so that I can go by car to Space Camp during some days.
Via car, Pensacola is about 5-6 hours each way from Huntsville.
My wife won't like to participate Space Camp, so she hat to do anything else in that time. Do you think Huntsville offers good opportunities for my wife, so that the time isn't that boring for her? What could you recommend to do in Huntsville for not-spaceflight-enthausiastic-people?
While it's big claim-to-fame is that of being the "Rocket City," Huntsville has quite a bit to offer. Perhaps your wife would like the Huntsville Botanical Gardens or Burritt on the Mountain, a sort of 'living history' museum minutes away from Monte Sano State Park, a park with lovely hiking trails, biking trails, scenery, etc.

So there are a few things to do! What sorts of things does your wife like to see and do on vacation?
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

http://www.lowemill.net/ is a neat area where many local artists display and sell their creations. Some offer classes. They also have concerts and an open air market some weekends.

There are also some history museums, http://www.earlyworks.com/visitor-information/ which might be particularly interesting for those not as familiar with American history (or they might be incredibly boring...depends on your interests in American history).
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Cathedral Caverns isn't too far away, either, if she would like to go for a tour of some rather majestic caves.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Is she a drinker?
Heading up into Tennessee, the Jack Daniels distillery isn't that far away. It's a very interesting tour to take: http://www.jackdaniels.com/verify-age?url=visit
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

Thank you so much for your replies. That is very useful.
My wife loves to go into a mall :-)
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Such a shame that Atlanta isn't closer, as there are many outlet (and normal) malls in the area, there.
Skidmark

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Madison Square Mall is only about 3 miles from Space Camp. It's a nice, newer mall and has just about everything.
http://www.madisonsquaremall.com/

Parkway Place is a little further away (9 miles) and has more shops. http://www.parkwayplacemall.com/
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

Thanks, thats great!
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Hotdog wrote:Madison Square Mall is only about 3 miles from Space Camp. It's a nice, newer mall and has just about everything.
Um, no. Madison Square Mall is dead. Literally. There are about 3 stores left in it and soon to be closed and reconfigured as a mixed use facility (offices, residences, shops, etc.). The nice, new mall is Bridge Street. http://www.bridgestreethuntsville.com/ Bridge Street has loads of shops, restaurants and a multi-screen cinema.

The Trainee Services office at Space Camp has a four page (back and front, small font) list of things to do in and around Huntsville, including things within a two hour drive. It was assembled for exactly the purpose of which you speak...spouses or parents of attendees who want to keep busy while their attendee is doing all things spacey. Stop by and ask for an attraction packet. Or email me ([email protected]) and I'll email it to you. :D
Living the dream
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

street wrote:
Hotdog wrote:Madison Square Mall is only about 3 miles from Space Camp. It's a nice, newer mall and has just about everything.
Um, no. Madison Square Mall is dead. Literally. There are about 3 stores left in it and soon to be closed and reconfigured as a mixed use facility (offices, residences, shops, etc.). The nice, new mall is Bridge Street. http://www.bridgestreethuntsville.com/ Bridge Street has loads of shops, restaurants and a multi-screen cinema.
YES!!!
That's the place I went to. My bad! I had the two confused. Sorry!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

At my first Camp trip, I had some time to kill the night before and drove around the area (after the veteran's museum closed as I was drooling over the oldest Jeep in existence there), and stumbled across that mall. I got as far as the Barnes and Noble bookstore and that was that for the most part. I did look around for a few minutes and it seemed like a nice place.
Vincent wrote:
Feuerfresser wrote:Is it possible to order a patch, the team has created to stick it on a flightsuit?
It's possible to take your team's patch and have a third party make the patch.
Yes, it's possible, but someone has to go through a lot of work to do that. My three trips to space camp, I designed my team's patch (and won each time), then took on the job of having them made into actual patches. I sold them to my teammates after camp was over, at my cost. The first time, I had someone who made them one at a time. The second time I went through a mail order company that was a huge pain to deal with. The last time, I went with a local company and they were very good to deal with and their patches were the best of the three so far.
If I ever do that again, I'd go with them. After that first year, I had to have a minimum of 50 patches made, so everyone who was buying them had to commit to buying a few patches, per person. Most people agreed to do that, as they'd never get them otherwise.
But someone has to put in the work to get them made. It's not automatic and I do not think most teams ever have actual patches made. It is a great deal of work as you have to work with the company, get them approved and mailed to you, then collect money from everyone who wants them and mail them out once you have them.
Skidmark