ASA it AC Mach 3?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

brookeburns
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

ASA it AC Mach 3?

Post by brookeburns »

I have been to both space academy and aviation challenge Mach 2 and absolutely loved them both! I am currently saving up to go again to either advanced space academy or aviation challenge Mach 3, but I can't decide which one. What are they both like? What do you get to do? Do you really get to go scuba diving at ASA?
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: ASA it AC Mach 3?

Post by gt0163c »

brookeburns wrote:I have been to both space academy and aviation challenge Mach 2 and absolutely loved them both! I am currently saving up to go again to either advanced space academy or aviation challenge Mach 3, but I can't decide which one. What are they both like? What do you get to do? Do you really get to go scuba diving at ASA?
Yes you really get to scuba dive in the UAT (underwater astronaut trainer) in ASA, provided you are cleared by your physician and successfully demonstrate the basic skills they teach you at the top of the tank. They're pretty easy, but if you've never dove before, all of the gear and the environment can take some getting used to. Some people aren't able to adjust or panic or whatever and aren't able to get to the bottom of the tank. That said, the skills are simple and if you pay attention and remain calm, they're not hard. I have only ever dove at Space Camp and have had no problems (that said, I'm very comfortable in the water in general). And, if you do have problems, the dive team will work with you for as long as it takes to help you get comfortable and successfully get to the bottom. I heard that last year during the four day program they worked with a guy who had a terrible fear of the water and could not swim and were able to get him to the bottom. And it's awesome.

I just got back from the adult 6 day ASA and it was incredibly awesome. I've never done AC and the SA program was much different when I attended it, so I can't really compare the two. But I'm sure you'll have a blast at either.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin