Adult Space Academy 49 - AWESOME!!!

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

SDelSignore
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Adult Space Academy 49 - AWESOME!!!

Post by SDelSignore »

Well, I am back to Earth, re-adjusting to all the gravity now that I am back to reality.

Space Camp (Adult Space Academy 49 - 4 Day) was a Blast! or is it Blast-Off?

Got into Huntsville around 12:30AM Thursday Night (9/4)... Because of the Wing-Dings event in Huntsville, all the hotels were booked up…so I had to reserve the night at the CandleWood Suites…which is about 2 miles away…just across the highway from the Space and Rocket Center.

The hotel was really nice…and quite cheaper than the Marriott. Space Camp sent a shuttle and Marvin picked me up about 10:30AM… I was able to get my badge and was told I had until 1:15PM before I had to be back to complete registration.

So, I was able to get my linens, pick the best bed in the room I was assigned… and enjoy the museum for a few hours. AWESOME!.... I ate lunch at the Mars Grille.

At 1:15 I met many of the others who were arriving… Some from my team (Columbia) and some from the other adult team (Challenger). There was also a family camp that weekend so I met some of them.

Great, Awesome people… all very interesting people and I think our team certainly bonded. I know the other adult team had some challenges, and maybe a “mutiny” along the way but our team was a family for the 4 days.

First we took our team photo under Pathfinder. Then we went to orientation. Then right onto the low ropes course for some teambuilding… Where we stole golden objects from the Pharaoh and crossed a deadly river of mulch and cinderblocks. We then had to cross a chocolate river on candy canes…then onto standing on a ladder and performing a crew rotation through an airlock…Our team mottos were Communication, Cooperation, and Selflessness.

Then onto dinner…actually all the meals were quite good… Chinese, Canadian, American…all very good.

The main space camp training floor was closed due to the fire on 9/2. Small fire damage to wall, but because sprinklers went off and there was a lot of smoke, Space and Rocket Center had to contract with Serv-Pro to cleanup. So, we were not able to use any of the sims in that entire area. Our sims were all in Astrotrek…using Endeavor and the ISS.

We began Alpha Mission training… I was assigned as Paycom…Fun, but kind of isolated as you pretty much are on your own with little interaction from the others in mission control.

We then met to come up with a mission patch…sketched out the concept, then I volunteered to complete the patch using some colored pencils. After that, I went back to the Hab and drew out much of the patch (I would later finish it on Sunday night).

First full day, Saturday, awoke, ate breakfast, and had our Alpha Mission as Paycom…solving anomalies and ensuring the ISS stuck to schedule…even had the crew doing exercise during their exercise period!

After the mission Crew Trainer Duckie took us to the Rocket Garden and went over some space history…including a monkey dressed like Hannibal Lecter (you have to see it).

Next we had Bravo Mission Training… I was Pilot for that one. It was a blast…too bad pilots do not fly though…. God it was a lot of switches.

We then had some free time in museum…awesome place!!!!!, Lunch, and we could then use Space Shot, and the other museum simulators.

We than had the Bravo Mission… The Capcom, the commander, and I got along well and we helped each out with the checklists. Mission was pretty successful although we touched down just short of the runway…yes, in the swamp.

We then moved on to the MAT…which was a lot of fun….Then to Rocket Construction…. Not my favorite part, but our team had a lot of fun cracking jokes and socializing….spray painting the rockets was a funny experience.

We then had dinner and moved on to the Aviation Challenge area where we had brief training and about 90 minutes in the simulators…first just takeoff and landings (way difficult), then guns armed, then missiles armed. Some people liked it, other did not...I loved it. The grounds there are awesome….amazing aircraft on display including an F-14 that was in the movie Top Gun.

That was then end of the day…but THE MAJOR PERK of adult Space Camp is getting to wander the museum at night…AMAZING!!!!!

Next Day we had breakfast and then began training for the Charlie Mission. Our schedule had us in an extended duration mission, but the team opted for a normal mission and a chance for everybody to wear the EVA suits for photos. So we ran a normal mission (I was Capcom this time….we had to abort to orbit at launch and then they threw a full panel anomaly at us…those in the ISS had a fire… ISS crew died…. Shuttle landed at Edwards but unfortunately in the dirt)

As for the EVA suits… We did get to enter the normal training area they had cleaned and they arranged for us to get green screen photos in the EVA suits….They put me on Mars in the finished product.

We then moved on to the zipline…it was awful hot and buggy in Alabama at 12:30PM but we had an awesome time…pretty much everybody did the zipline…and we really all knew each other by that time.

We then had some museum time…then onto IMAX. Unfortunately the IMAX movie died about 20 minutes in…oh well…But Duckie saved the day...She is an AWESOME Crew trainer and very knowledgeable about everything space!...She spent like 15 minutes answering audience questions about space while they tried to fix the IMAX. They were unsuccessful at fixing it, but the people in the theater certainly learned a lot from Duckie.

So we went over to the Davidson center where a NASA Emeritus gave us a tour ( Placide Nicaise …was with NASA for 34 years working on the Von Braun Rocket Team during the Apollo Program…AMAZING KNOWLEDGE AND STORIES…he is also an author…you can look him up)

We followed that with dinner then onto the MMU simulators and the 1/6 gravity chairs.

At end of day we headed to museum and then all around campus to find geocaches…one of the guys on the team does geocaching as a hobby and there are at least 4 to be found right on the campus.

The final day, we got up…ate breakfast then launched our rockets…lots of fun…beautiful morning…and only 1 ended up in a tree.

Then onto Space Bowl and Graduation. My team, Columbia won big at Space Bowl, won the patch and received Commander’s Cup patches.

We graduated, got our wings.

I spent the last few hours bopping around the museum with others on my team and having lunch at the Mars Grille. My flight was at 4:30…I wish It was later because I would have been able to take the bus tour to Marshall and the engine test platforms and ISS control…Something to do for next time.

Oh Well, back to Earth now, all adjusted to Gravity and looking forward to the next time I get to travel to Space (camp).

Stephen :D
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Re: Adult Space Academy 49 - AWESOME!!!

Post by wxnerdjenn »

That sounds fantastic!!!! I am pretty much foaming at the mouth right now in anticipation of returning to camp in a month, haha. I am so glad you had a blast! Welcome to the alumni family :D It's a bummer you didn't get to play with the sims on the mission floor, but at least they had the ones in astrotek as backup. I know exactly which treacherous obstacle you spoke of with the cinderblocks, haha. We actually had a very unique way of finishing that one. The trainers were a bit stunned. We all facepalmed when they showed us how groups normally do it. AHHHHHHHHHH I can't wait to go back! Thanks for sharing your experience and letting us live vicariously through you!
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Wow, that sounds like a great weekend! Thank you for the re-cap.

What was your favourite part? I know, it's a loaded question because there are too many answers. Any advice for others?

Also, I have to ask, what did they consider 'Canadian' food? Really... I'm from Canada and can barely think of substantial food from this country that would be uniquely Canadian; unless you dined on poutine, butter tarts, Kraft Dinner, Nanaimo squares, Saskatoon berries, and maple syrup. Just curious about that one. (I've probably overlooked some crucial items.)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

SpaceCanada wrote:Also, I have to ask, what did they consider 'Canadian' food?
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/recipes/canada-soup.htm

and

Molson :)
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

SpaceCanada wrote:Also, I have to ask, what did they consider 'Canadian' food?
The 'Canadian' menu is Stuffed Meatloaf, Sweet Potato (yams) and Canadian bacon hash, Poutine, green beans and a dinner roll. Yup, poutine!
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Glad to hear you had a great time.
So I assume this was your patch design? If so, are you going to have patches made?
The only part of the patch design that annoyed me was you rarely ever got to see the non-winning ones. I've always wanted to see what I beat for my own winning designs...
That stinks that you didn't get to use the training floor but it sounds like you had a decent time anyway. I'd wondered if mission training could be supported from other building, and now I know that it can.
So, what'd you think of the HAB?
SDelSignore wrote:The hotel was really nice…and quite cheaper than the Marriott.
Most are. The Marriott is a decent hotel, no question, but really the only reasons it even factors into any Space Camp discussions are:
1. It's proximity to the Center (heck, it's closer to the HAB than many places inside the fence)
2. The bar (for the adult program people)
SpaceCanada wrote:What was your favourite part? I know, it's a loaded question because there are too many answers. Any advice for others?
I, too, would like to know this. I always like to hear the opinions of people who've gone the first time.
Oh, and PHOTOS, we want photos! :D
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

How many other teams were there that you were competing against?
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SDelSignore
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by SDelSignore »

Hi folks... some answers to your replies...

1 - There was only 1 other adult team... Challenger... We were Columbia... I think with more teams and just able to use the Astrtrek simulators it could not be done.

2 - My Favorite Parts... 1- Getting to know the team and really bonding as a team...we were all wacky and fun and all got along really well 2 - Getting to go into the museum at night and stand in awe of the Saturn 5 3 - Shuttle Simulator as Pilot... very cool

3 - I liked the Hab quite a bit...sure it's odd to get used to no TV and other people in your room, but it made the experience more memorable...it truly felt like being part of the whole experience. I do however think the mattresses were lousy...Since only 2 were in my room I doubled up my mattress. Also, the fact there are no towels, even to buy is lousy...I brought one but I know others who were in the family camp going on did not so had to get a ride to walmart to buy some.

4 - As for the patch...yes, I wish I could have seen the other teams...but I heard they kind of did not follow the rules and used a computer to draw it...I volunteered to draw ours once the team came up with a concept...I then used some crappy colored pencils and drew it on the desk in my room at the hab. I of course redid it on the computer after I got home...and yes we want to have patches made.

So question...any suggestions on best companies to deal with for that?

Stephen

ASA 49 4 Day 9/2015
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

For patches:

- AB Emblem does amazing work! www.abemblem.com

- I used Hero Patches for our latest mission patch and would recommend them for their excellent customer service, online tracking interface, and quick turn around. The resulting patch quality was excellent, and I'm very picky. They were the cheapest quote (of five), had free world-wide shipping, and were able to stitch gradients, which our design required. www.heropatches.com

Minimum order at most places will be 50 pieces.
- Jennifer -
SDelSignore
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by SDelSignore »

Thanks SpaceCanada!
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SpaceCanada wrote:Minimum order at most places will be 50 pieces.
I've made patches for my three winning designs. The first was done by a space fan who did them one at a time (those weren't cheap but he made the prep for the graphics really easy) and the other 2 were done commercially.
Pretty much any patch company in the US will likely have their order made in India, China or Pakistan. They'll often take the order, have them made (usually after sending a photo of a sample patch for your OK) and they'll be sent directly to you from the country of origin. Count on them costing between 6-8 bucks each.
My team in 2015 was an all-alumni one and all but one bought into the patch order (everyone got 5 each and each paid just shy of $40). I you can get people to sign on for buying a few each, to cover the minimum, you'll be fine.
My biggest fear at a future camp would be to have a design I loved, but nobody wanting to buy into a patch run. Seems wrong to not have a patch from your team, I feel.
Good luck with your patches.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Custompatches.net is da bomb...

CHEAP
FAST
2-for-1 deals
and great customer service and quality!

http://www.custompatches.net/
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

SDelSignore wrote:Also, the fact there are no towels, even to buy is lousy...I brought one but I know others who were in the family camp going on did not so had to get a ride to walmart to buy some.
On my suggestion several years ago, the gift shop carried some lovely beach towel size towels in Space Camp blue and embroidered with the logo. They didn't sell. This summer the last of the original order were sold, so needless to say, the gift shop will not be reordering.

Help me understand why folks are missing the bit about bringing a towel and wash cloth. It is the second item on the packing check list. The vast majority of trainees bring their towels, but at least one or two a month seem confused about it (particularly the adults coming for either family or adult camps). I can edit the packing list if someone could point me in a direction that would clarify the situation.

Packing list on website: http://www.spacecamp.com/docs/NEW_MBK2015.pdf
Living the dream
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

street wrote:Help me understand why folks are missing the bit about bringing a towel and wash cloth. It is the second item on the packing check list.
Pre-print a checkmark in the "Sheets, pillowcases and blankets are provided" box right above it and see if that gets you anywhere.
SDelSignore
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by SDelSignore »

Street wrote: "Help me understand why folks are missing the bit about bringing a towel and wash cloth. It is the second item on the packing check list."

Several Reasons...

1 - It's hard to take any of the paperwork seriously when most of it is only tailored for parents sending kids and not the adults themselves. I heard constant comments about that during my stay.

2 - There are 2 items on the list... Sheets, pillowcases and blankets are provided and Towels and washcloth one is "are provided" the other is not but certainly easy to miss...Like Vincent said, perhaps pre-print a checkmark in the "Sheets, pillowcases and blankets are provided".... or Next to "towels and washcloth" put NOT Provided

3 - Understand that there are very few places (other than staying in a tent) where adults stay where towels are not provided. Adults usually stay in hotels or motels...where towels are provided. In fact, many people I spoke to felt that you are providing Sheets and Blankets, and Pillows...so why not a towel? I think people assume.

4 - Traveling on airplanes, especially for families at the family camp means 4 or 5 towels...essentially another bag

5 - I brought a towel because of the fine folks here at the Hab, but I did receive an email from the Sales and Communications manager at Space Camp that said... "As for your packing list, a small pillow, pillow case, linens, blanket, and towels are provided. If you would like to bring additional towels, blanket, or pillow, please feel free to do so".

I think it would be a good idea for the camp simply to have a stash of plain white towels that can be purchased for those who need extras or did not bring them.

Stephen
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Rats, I knew I should have bought one of the towels when I was at camp in January!! I wanted one but I'd already blown my budget out the window. As far as the packing list, I felt it was pretty clear towels weren't provided, but I also read it obsessively several times because I was so excited. I think a separate document for adult campers could be good, perhaps with information about typical availability of wifi and power outlets in the hab.
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Interestingly, towels used to be provided at camp. They were cheap, thin and white. Similar to what you'd find at a cheap roadside motel. You got a bath towel one or two hand towels and a wash cloth when you checked in. This was in the late 80's/early 90's. Not sure when or why they stopped issuing towels.

I do agree that the packing list is a little confusing. Maybe making the text that says sheets and pillows are provided be distinctly different than the rest of the packing list might help. And having cheap towels available for people to buy at a nominal cost in case they didn't understand or forgot to pack towels would be a good idea.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

gt0163c wrote:Interestingly, towels used to be provided at camp. They were cheap, thin and white. Similar to what you'd find at a cheap roadside motel. You got a bath towel one or two hand towels and a wash cloth when you checked in. This was in the late 80's/early 90's. Not sure when or why they stopped issuing towels.
We had those towels as part of our linens kit in 1998 and 1999 too. They worked well enough.

Looking at the packing list from 2004, it has the following:
2004 Mission Briefing Kit wrote: Here's what to pack

Label everything with camper's first & last name.
Bed sheets/blanket, pillow/pillowcase are provided.

__ Prescription medications
Above will be collected and dispensed by the nursing staff.
__ Combination padlock
__ Travellers Checks ($10.00 and $20.00 denominations)
Note: Shuttle Bucks are no longer available.
__ Spending money for vending machines. ($1.00 denominations)
__ Towels and Washcloths
It doesn't include bedding in the checklist at all (it's separated and bolded above), then lists towels at the very end.

The 1999 list has an identical format, only the towels are listed in bold at the top with the bedding and omitted from the checklist.

Perhaps removing it from the checklist altogether would work?

Ah, missing those Shuttle Bucks and wishing I had a picture or one left over to remind me of the good old days of the interplanetary bank at the bottom of Hab 1.
- Jennifer -
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I must admit to not reading the packing list the last couple of visits and getting caught without a towel last August. I was used to them being provided. But I bought one of the Space Camp beach towels from the online shop a few months ago, before they ran out, so I will be bringing it along with me this year.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Jennifer,

I still have some Shuttle Bucks from 1991!

1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994