Towels?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

SDelSignore
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Towels?

Post by SDelSignore »

Attending adult ASA 9/3-9/7...leave tomorrow night! Are towels provided? I have seen some on the boards say no, but an email I got from a rep at space camp says yes

Stephen
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Re: Towels?

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Towels were not provided in January, and I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed since then. Definitely take one...worst that happens is you have an extra. Have fun!!! I can't wait to hear about that camp since it's the one I was originally signed up for. Hope you have a blast!
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

What I've always done was to bring a towel I didn't mind not coming back with (most people have one that isn't brand new) and just threw it away when I've taken my last shower at SC on graduation day. Nobody wants that "wet towel funk" in your suitcase when you come home and you won't have anywhere to dry it before you leave (unless you have a car and can lay it in a seat, where it'll likely be very hot in that Alabama climate).
But yeah, never count on anything being there that you think you should bring with you.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

I follow the parent information in the program guide. It says on page 15 that towels and washcloths are not provided.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

p51 wrote:What I've always done was to bring a towel I didn't mind not coming back with (most people have one that isn't brand new) and just threw it away when I've taken my last shower at SC on graduation day. Nobody wants that "wet towel funk" in your suitcase when you come home and you won't have anywhere to dry it before you leave.
Another option, particularly if you regularly shower at places other than your home, is to get a quick drying, ultralight towel. These are generally marketed towards campers/backpackers, but I use mine regularly at the gym, take it on mission trips and, of course, to Space Camp. I've left it draped over my suitcase after my shower the morning of graduation, and it's completely dry a few hours later (probably would be dry enough to pack after breakfast).

I like the Packtowl Personal. I think mine that I use for the shower is an XL (depending on your size and level of comfort/modesty, a different size might work better for you) a medium that I use as a hand towel and a small that lives in my backpack.

You never want to be without your towel.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Alright gt, I took your advice and bought one of those towels. I LOVE IT!!!! I'm going to order another one so I can take two to ASA. And maybe a smaller one too for my hair, lol.
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy