First Timer at Adult Space Academy in September

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

SDelSignore
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by SDelSignore »

I signed up for the 4 day Adult Space Academy in September! I can't wait!
:D :D :D :D :D
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: First Timer at Adult Space Academy in September

Post by SpaceCanada »

That is fantastic! You will have a great time. Bonus points that Alabama won't be hot as an oven whilst you are there.

Check out various threads on these forums, Vincent's news articles on the home page, and let us know if you have any questions. We are all excited when anyone gets to go to camp. Be sure you keep us updated on how things go and report back after camp with some photos too.

Welcome and have fun!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

Have a great time there! And we hope you will share your experiences after you return.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

You are going to have a blast!! I went for the first time in January and got so addicted that I'll be back for the 6 day camp in October. It is seriously the most amazing thing I've ever done in my life and I hope you have as good of a time as I did. If you have any questions or anything, please ask!
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
SDelSignore
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by SDelSignore »

I can't wait!
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Just be sure to post about your experience after you've gone. I envy you, as I can't get there this year. If you're like most of us, you'll miss it badly when you've left and you'll soon be plotting to get back as soon as you can! On my last team in October, we had one guy who'd been there 12 times and another who been there 11. That was my third trip. It's addictive, I tell you!
SpaceCanada wrote:Bonus points that Alabama won't be hot as an oven whilst you are there.
Hot is relative. I roasted in Huntsville the first time I went and that was in September. I was born and raised well South of there (in Florida) but have lived in the Pacific Northwest (where you can easily go an entire year without ever getting hotter than the low 80s) since the late 90s so I thought I was maybe having a heart attack at one point, I was sweating so much after our group photo was taken outside. People around me were getting worried because I looked like I just stepped out of a running shower.
Summertime in the South pretty much runs as much as 9 months out of the year some years. Hopefully, it'll be overcast while you're there and you won't be boiling the entire time. Good news is that I've rarely ever felt hot inside the HAB at nights, though.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

SDelSignore wrote:I can't wait!
The first time you walk to Hab 1 & start your camp you will be amazed. Space Camp is a experience that is exciting & will carry memories for years. Friends for life are made & teamwork skills developed. So enjoy your time & please share pictures & your thoughts. :D
Adult Space Academy 2012 Team Columbia
Adult Space Academy 2013 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy 2014 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy with Astronaut 2015 Team Discovery
Volunteer at US Space & Rocket Center
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

I get the super bonus of having a 'first time' experience in October since Hab 1 was closed for renovations in January. We stayed in hab 2, which was cool, but I as bummed as I'd really got myself excited about hab 1. So I'm stoked to get that first glance at hab 1....3 months from YESTERDAY!!
Team Challenger
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

wxnerdjenn wrote:I get the super bonus of having a 'first time' experience in October since Hab 1 was closed for renovations in January. We stayed in hab 2, which was cool, but I as bummed as I'd really got myself excited about hab 1. So I'm stoked to get that first glance at hab 1....3 months from YESTERDAY!!
I agree, I ready for camp myself, T minus 3 months & counting!!!! :lol:
Adult Space Academy 2012 Team Columbia
Adult Space Academy 2013 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy 2014 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy with Astronaut 2015 Team Discovery
Volunteer at US Space & Rocket Center
SDelSignore
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by SDelSignore »

Hi...Since I am just 5 weeks out for the September ASA...the 4 day...does anybody know the schedule for the 4 day?

Steve
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

You normally get one once you sign in. I asked the USSRC repeatedly for a list of major activities for a 4-day last year because I was thinking of cancelling. I never got one, supposedly because USSRC puts the schedules together 2 weeks prior.

However, USSRC did send out the tentative Advanced Space Academy schedule months ahead of time.

Nothing like consistency...although there could be a reason for the apparent inconsistency, e.g., with the EDM, that schedule is unlikely to change.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Yeah you won't get a schedule til you sign in the day of camp, unfortunately. Someone already got their hands on a schedule for the 6 day, but when I emailed for one I didn't get a response. The schedule is packed from the moment camp begins til it ends. At my 3 day, i felt it was perfect. We started off with a low ropes course so our team of ten strangers really became a solid team in the first couple hours of camp.
Team Challenger
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SDelSignore wrote:does anybody know the schedule for the 4 day?
As others have already said, you'll get it when you check into the HAB the first day.
That said, I did the 4-day this past October and we hit the ground running and didn't stop until we were done. :wink:
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

This was posted on Facebook:

Rebecca Hitt Jonathan, it would be very difficult to send the schedule to the trainees since scheduling is a delicate balance. Like the staff said, that's the ideal schedule but it is possible it could change. If Logistics winds up having to change the schedule and everyone had that ideal schedule, it is very likely that you would have some angry people who get like they aren't getting what they were "promised" in some way.

I understand the logic but disagree somewhat as I believe that you can provide a list of major activities, i.e., number of missions, type (shuttle/Orion), mission length.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:it would be very difficult to send the schedule to the trainees since scheduling is a delicate balance. Like the staff said, that's the ideal schedule but it is possible it could change. If Logistics winds up having to change the schedule and everyone had that ideal schedule, it is very likely that you would have some angry people who get like they aren't getting what they were "promised" in some way.
Makes sense to me.
majtom7 wrote:I understand the logic but disagree somewhat as I believe that you can provide a list of major activities, i.e., number of missions, type (shuttle/Orion), mission length.
I assume you've never put on a large event of any type? I have, and I know there would be way too many issues to know ahead of time. No way could you know well in advance if all the sims will be working, if the 'powers that be' have other ideas you weren't informed of (like someone showing up last-minute for a TV show, which has happened countless times there) or even if the right personnel will be there (last-minute issues, illnesses, deaths in the family, etc) to do the things you promised. And what about the weather? The South is notorious for quick-changing extremes in weather in the summer and early fall months.
I understand fully why they don't give a detailed schedule out well in advance. To do so would be utter folly as there would be no better outcome than to be 'just as promised' and many possible outcomes could be far worse. SC would really not benefit at all as an organization by publishing a schedule like that, knowing all these possibilities, and I can't blame them for not doing so.
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

p51 wrote:I assume you've never put on a large event of any type?
Yes, I have, multiple times.
p51 wrote:I understand fully why they don't give a detailed schedule out well in advance.
So do I yet that is not what I said. List of major activities, i.e. mission information, what everything else is planned around.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

I find it best (and most fun) at Space Camp to just go with it!

Having a schedule just gets me thinking about the next thing instead of enjoying the moment.
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

LOL I agree with you. Once I am there, I just go.

Yet given the cost, I feel that it is reasonable to provide a list of major activites. My favorite example is a cruise. When I book a cruise, I know where I have to be when at the start (registration), where and when it is going to end (graduation), and what are the stops (major activities) taking place during the cruise. You receive the schedule at the start (actually, daily on a cruise).
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

I'm a planner, so I really like to know what's going to happen at every minute. I'm perfectly ok with not having that for camp til the day it starts though...though I would love to know if there are going to be tracks for pilot/MS. It looks like it on the schedule that was posted on FB, though the two schedules are identical except for I think one evening. It doesn't really matter too much, I just can think of nothing but sitting in that orbiter again haha.
Team Challenger
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Oh, one random tip I just thought of: wear shorts under your flight suit! (The longer the better, just saying...)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017