Prep for Adult ASA

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Prep for Adult ASA

Post by gt0163c »

Now that my life has calmed down a bit, I'm starting to take some more time to prep for Adult ASA this October.
Obviously no preparation is really required, but I figure I'm not the only one excited about camp and looking for ways to help make the time seem to go by a little quicker.

So, what's everyone doing to prep for camp?

I'm currently reading Chris Hadfield's book "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth". I'll finish that this weekend. Not sure what's next on the "to be read pile", so I'm looking for suggestions.

I thought I'd also brush up on the flight characteristics of the sims we'll fly at Aviation Challenge (I'm a lousy pilot but a helluva engineer :wink: ). Are the sims still based on F-18s or have they leaned forward enough to switch to F-35s?

One time I went to camp as a kid, a few of my teammates and I discovered that we all knew a bit of American Sign Language. That came in handy during mission anomalies when we had communications issues. Not sure if anyone else going knows ASL, but I thought I'd at least try to relearn the alphabet and a few other basic signs.

Anyone have other ideas of what to read, learn or do as we wait for the middle of October?
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Prep for Adult ASA

Post by SpaceCanada »

We are gearing up our spaciness too. I highly recommend reading 'the Martian' and watching the film before camp if you can. We will be flying out that day so we won't get to see it until after camp unless we all go to the cinema the night we arrive.

Watch 'From the Earth to the Moon' series, with 'Apollo13' in the appropriate place. Watch the three Space Camp films: SpaceCamp, A Smile as big as the Moon, and Space Wattiors. Visit the IMAX or watch various space films at home.

The book and movie list is quite long. We have a Saturn V model to make over the summer to familiarize ourselves with the glorious rocket in the Davidson centre.

I may visit the rec centre and practice some wall climbing skills if there is time.
Last edited by SpaceCanada on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

All those movies sound like winners. I have a whole library of good books. Lost Moon. Failure is not an Option (really good preparation for mission control) I have bought a large selection of colored sharpie pens and printed off some easy to copy images of spacecraft to assist in the patch design. I have sewn some new patches onto my flight suit. Made a packing list. Bought a Space Camp beach towel for the AC training and the scuba. I haven't gone as far as buying Tang or Space Food Sticks, though, but I do have some astronaut ice cream around my house somewhere! :)
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

At the alumni festival next month, the AC sims we get to use are F-18s. Not sure if F-35 sims are in the works, but I will find out for you. For now though, I'd stick with the Hornets :)

One thing I did to prepare for camp as a teenager was build a layout of the shuttle flight deck to better familiarize myself with the location of all the switches. I even went so far as running simulated missions with a script, clock, headsets and random anomalies after recruiting my little brother to play mission control. You feel a lot more comfortable flying the shuttle when you already know the GPC keypad programs by heart and know where all the switches are without having to look at the flight plan binder.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

This morning I used Google street view to travel the perimeter of Space camp virtually. It doesn't go inside but you can get a pretty good look at the Hab and Pathfinder and quite close to the Saturn V and the Davison center. It almost feels like you are there. And I like that it is from 2013 and the gate still has the shuttle logo.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

If you use Google Earth you can get a 3D view of the campus as well. Someone modelled many of the landmarks.

I have been ignoring space stuff for the past year and a half and need to dive back in to bring myself up to date. This coming week will be Space Camp movie week, and I hope to start prepping the Saturn V model for build.
- Jennifer -
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

I am so glad I am not the only one already thinking about and planning for ASA. I'm trying not to let myself get too excited about it just yet, but I have decided what bags I'm taking and made a mental packing list for clothes at least. I've been having slight regrets about not signing up for the "w/an astronaut" option until I think about the money I'd still owe if I had, haha. Unfortunately I still haven't seen anyone on fb or here say they signed up for the cheaper option so I'm a little bummed it seems I won't "know" anyone on my team. Then again, I didn't know anyone in January and had the time of my life.

Next Thursday, 9 July, is my 32nd birthday and for the 2nd year in a row, my mom and I are going to the Houston Space Center to take the Level 9 Tour...and spend too much money in the gift shop. It's about time to start popping From Earth to the Moon into my bluray player again too. I love the idea of watching Apollo 13 in the appropriate spot during that series too! I also plan on reviewing the Shuttle Operator's Manual (particularly the diagrams) so *hopefully* I can nab a CMD or pilot seat and be able to move through checklists faster than I could in January. Landing was so stressful, I think I might just prefer the right hand seat, haha.

Anyway, I'm already super excited. I can't wait til that 60 days til camp mark when it really becomes official. I still need to book my flight but I keep waiting on AA to add HSV to their reduced mileage award list so I don't have to use all my miles for the flight. And that reminds me, I better go check on that.
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Only 5 weeks, 4 days, and a few hours until we get on our flight to America. (It's a two-day, four-flight trip to Alabama for us.)

Time to dig out all the space movies and books to prepare ourselves.
- Jennifer -