Aviation Challenge First Timer

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

brookeburns
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Aviation Challenge First Timer

Post by brookeburns »

Hey guys! I will be attending Aviation Challenge Match II this July and have a few questions.

What kind of clothes should I pack for weather in early July?
Is there anything special I should bring?
What kind of activities will I be doing?
What time will I have to get up in the morning and go to bed at night?
How much time will have to get ready in the morning/night?
Do you have any tips for me?

Thanks in advance for helping me out!
Brooke
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Aviation Challenge First Timer

Post by gt0163c »

Brooke
I haven't done AC so I can't speak to a lot of the program specifics, but I know you'll have a blast.
In early July, in Alabama, it will be hot. And humid. It will probably rain in the afternoons. You'll want shorts and t-shirts most of the time. But everything inside will be air conditioned, sometimes excessively so. If you get cold easily, it would be a good idea to bring a sweat shirt or light jacket. You may need long pants for some of the outdoor activities that AC does. I've heard it's a good idea to bring an extra pair of shoe laces. I don't quite understand that, but they're cheap, small and light, so I'd go ahead and do it.
Bring a backpack (day pack or school book bag size) to carry your stuff during the day, your water bottle, camera, sweat shirt/jacket, any log book or materials they give you, etc. I always make sure I have a flashlight. Just comes in handy at times when you might not expect you'd need it.

You'll be busy all day, but you should have adequate time to get ready in the morning (30-45 minutes).

General tips? Get ready to have an awesome time. And, when you return, come back here and tell us all about it!
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I have done the adult AC, which is only a weekend. I found it useful to bring my own camouflage and hiking boots. They will provide camouflage, if you don't have any, for the Escape and Evade exercise, which involves crawling through the woods at night. The hiking boots come in handy. If you don't have those, then you will want your oldest, grubbiest tennis shoes as they will get muddy. That may be why they recommend the extra shoe-strings. Although they may be thinking of the outdoor survival training where you have to build a shelter out of what you find at hand in the woods and your bits of parachute (imagining that you had to bail out of your plane!) I usually also bring a sweat suit to serve as pajamas because it does get quite cold at night. If you purchase a flight suit, expect to only wear it at graduation, as it will be too hot outside for it. You will get a ride in the centrifuge, somewhere in the program. Also need swim gear for the water survival training. A beach towel is handy but also bring your own regular towels for daily use as they are no longer provided. I just found that out last August. You will probably get up at 7 am to have time to wash and take the bus up to the cafeteria. The night usually ends around 10. You will be tired as the day is completely filled with activity. On your E and E night, it will probably end later as it won't begin until it is fully dark and that is fairly late in July. That is all I can add right now.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

What kind of clothes should I pack for weather in early July? Shorts and tees, but bring long pants for E&E. Bring old sneakers that you won't mind abandoning after E&E, as that is Thursday night and rarely are they dry enough to pack up on Friday morning. Bring a large plastic bag to pack your E&E clothing, and swimwear in for going home. I'd bring a ball cap or bucket hat as well. It keeps the sun off your face during outside activities, and if a rain storm pops up (frequent on Alabama summer afternoons), it keeps your head more comfortable. As mentioned above, bring at least one towel for water activities as well as a towel and wash cloth for bathing. (Conan, I've worked here for 11 years and we've not provided towels in any of those years, just bed linens.)

Is there anything special I should bring? Enthusiasm and sense of adventure!

What kind of activities will I be doing? You will spend time in classrooms learning about the history of aviation, the mechanics of your planes and how to operate it, and survival tactics. You will spend a lot of time in your flight simulators, first learning to take off and land, then flying, then combat. This culminates in a Top Gun competition on Thursday. You will learn land and water survival skills. You will build a shelter from a parachute, built a fire, learn basic first aid, learn how to escape from a helicopter that has gone down in water, and be rescued by a net lift. If you are high school age you will leave your helicopter via a zip line. You will learn how to raft, you will ride a centrifuge. It's cool, if I say so myself! I'm rubbish at flying (I crash constantly!), but I love the survival stuff!

What time will I have to get up in the morning and go to bed at night? Depending upon your age, you'll be awakened as early as 7 AM and go to bed as late as 10 PM. I love it when parents call asking what the kids do during their 'spare' time. You won't have any. Your days and nights are packed with activities.

How much time will have to get ready in the morning/night? You'll have 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night. Any phone calls you want to make have to be done during this time period. During this time you'll bath, clean your teeth, make your bunk (there are daily inspections and competition for best 'bay') do and normal getting up and getting to bed stuff. Know that your telephone will be collected and put in the office. You will need to ask for it to make a phone call. If it needs charging, bring your charger and it'll be put on the charger in the office if you request so.

Do you have any tips for me? This is a military styled camp. You will have inspections. You will learn military drill. Your counselor will occasionally 'bark' at you. You will stand at parade rest at the cafeteria table until your counselor gives you permission to sit and eat. This freaks some kids out and they can't deal with it. Be prepared to have a great time!
Living the dream