obsessed with the idea of space camp

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

spacekid1
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

obsessed with the idea of space camp

Post by spacekid1 »

So i've recently convinced myself that space camp is a good idea. i never went as a kid and so that desire has always been lingering at the back of my mind for pretty much my whole life. my interest was casual about a month ago but has somehow spiraled into complete obsession. the only thing preventing me from actually going is that it's a whole lot of money. I guess what i want to ask is if the experience really is as good as it seems/how everyone talks about it? I mean, i haven't hyped up the idea at all in my head and i'm convinced if i go, i'd have wasted a ton of money to have a really bad and unfulfilling experience.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: obsessed with the idea of space camp

Post by Hotdog »

Welcome to Hab1 !!! I went four times as a teenager and it was the experience of a lifetime. I have not went back as an adult yet because I don't think I could ever, ever, ever match or exceed the immense fun and overall awesomeness that I enjoyed back then. I know many adults who have went, having never went as kids, and seemed to have enjoyed it just as much! The experience is more than just training as an astronaut. The bond you make with your teammates and crew trainer during the week will be lasting relationships that you will cherish for a long time to come. You will learn a lot, not just about space, but about yourself. You will walk away a more confident and smarter person. You will accomplish things you never thought you could. You will apply the experience to life after Camp and be better at what you do because of it. Is it worth the money? You're [darn] right. :D Dig around the board and read some of the other experiences, and feel free to shoot us your questions.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

spacekid1 wrote:I guess what i want to ask is if the experience really is as good as it seems/how everyone talks about it?
My best advice about going to SC the first time is this: You get out of it what you put into it. For example from the first time I went, I was on a mission in the cockpit (I was the pilot, she was the commander) with someone who'd gone with friends and wasn't all that into it. After the mission, she said my enthusiasm boosted her enjoyment of the experience and she'd fed off that to have a fun time anyway. I'm quite proud of that moment.
There's also the luck of the draw as to who are on your team and who your trainer is. The first two times I went (always as an adult, going as a kid was never an option for me), there were people who'd gotten the experience as a present from someone else. Each time there were people there who didn't have their hearts in it. The first trip was amazing, the second one, not quite so much (but I enjoyed it a great deal anyway) due to a few people who just didn't like it all that much and probably didn't want to be there as much as I had. The last time I went was last month, with a group of people who'd all gone there before and a great trainer. Best experience ever, it would have been worth ten times what I paid. Steve and Phoenix PK here on the forum were with me on that last team and I'm sure I also speak for them in regard to the amazing time we all had then:
https://habforum.hab1.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2657
But at no point did I ever think I was wasting the money. My wife, however, might say otherwise... :wink:
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Having gone both as a kid (three times) and an adult (once, 6-day program), I can say that Space Camp is definitely worth the money. It is an incredible experience where you get to do things you never knew you could do, have incredibly unique experiences and meet amazing people. That said, I do think I enjoyed it more as a kid than I did as an adult. Part of that was due to where I was emotionally and all that as a kid. I was a geek in a time and place where that just wasn't cool. But then I went to Space Camp and was surrounded by other people who were so much like me. I fit in. It was cool to be smart and know all this amazing stuff about science and space technology. I was a valued member of a team and that was an amazing experience. As an adult, I'm more comfortable with who I am.

But Space Camp was still an amazing experience when I went as an adult, just in different ways. The experiences at Area 51 left me more confident in just about every area of my life. I got to experience scuba diving for the first time in the UAT and that was an amazing experience (the "helmet dive" I got to do during EDM was the closest I've ever been to what the experience of being on another planet must be like and remains as one of the coolest things I've ever done.). Sometimes during abs class at the gym, I still imagine myself doing sit-ups under Pathfinder during my early morning exercise jaunts. I can say that I've tossed around a frisbee on the (simulated) lunar surface. I finally got to launch a model rocket that I made myself (each trip when I was a kid rocket launch got cancelled for weather). The list could go on and on.

Yes, Space Camp is expensive. But it's all-inclusive. If you think about it like going on a cruise, the price is roughly the same and you probably won't get sea sick (although I have issues with the centrifuges, but you don't have to do those).
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Ha, my post from back in July is pretty much the same. I instantly became obsessed with the idea of finally getting to go. I get to make a 20 year long dream come true in only one month! I also took advantage of the black friday sale and signed up for a 4 day in September as well. I'm sure I will be posting more as camp gets closer and definitely will do a write up when I get back. I'm an amateur photographer and will be taking my DSLR with me so there will be plenty of photos (and hopefully I'll remember to shoot some video too). The way I see it, it's really not a bad price for a weekend of fun, especially when you factor in lodging and meals being included. A 3 day storm chasing trip costs about that same, if not more, and that is 90% boredom while driving, 9% waiting for something to happen, and 1% with the camera in my hands.

I'm optimistic that camp will be worth the wait and worth every penny.
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

It's an experience you will never forget, and will talk about for many, many years to come! Hell, it's been 20 years since I last attended and here I am!

Looking forward to hearing all about your experience! Don't forget a pocket cam for those moments when you just need a quick-pic. The DSLR may be a bit too bulky for some situations.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

YOU'RE GONNA LOVE IT. We're all looking forward to hearing how it went and are all quite envious. Sure, several of of us regulars went this year already, but you'll find that even the day after it's over, you'll miss it right away.
Hotdog wrote:Looking forward to hearing all about your experience! Don't forget a pocket cam for those moments when you just need a quick-pic. The DSLR may be a bit too bulky for some situations.
Yeah, a good cell with a good camera is a great idea for SC if you have one. I actually took more shots with my 12MP camera than I did with my Canon EOS. Those sims are really close quarters and you don't have a lot of time with a camera in this things.
Skidmark

wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Thanks guys! I'll be bringing a point and shoot to keep in my pocket and leaving the 6D locked up for most activities I imagine. I'm hoping there will be time at night to do some shots of the rockets (or in my dreams, there will be some famous Dixie Alley storms and I'll get to shoot lightning with rockets in the foreground...droooool). I've got myself so excited I can't even sleep tonight haha.

So see, spacekid1, you totally need to sign up too!
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

And don't forget to come by Trainee Services and get your frame! It's sitting there with your name on! :mrgreen:
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

street wrote:And don't forget to come by Trainee Services and get your frame! It's sitting there with your name on! :mrgreen:
Yep, it's the best deal in town, no question!
Skidmark

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

street wrote:And don't forget to come by Trainee Services and get your frame! It's sitting there with your name on! :mrgreen:
FYI - Trainee Services is in Hab 2, top level. It's not always super obvious where it is, and many a trainee has got lost trying to find it. Your counsellor can give you directions if you need them.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SpaceCanada wrote:FYI - Trainee Services is in Hab 2, top level. It's not always super obvious where it is, and many a trainee has got lost trying to find it.
Good point. I'm not 100% sure how I got there myself, I'm pretty sure when I was with PK and Steve from here on the forum at Camp last time, one of them knew where it was already and I followed them. I couldn't tell you at all where it is at this moment.
Skidmark

spacekid1
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by spacekid1 »

cool cool cool. thanks for the input. i'm excited to just experience whatever happens while at space camp but from what's been said, i think it will be mostly good memories.
=D
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

spacekid1 wrote:cool cool cool.
Abed? :mrgreen:
spacekid1 wrote:i'm excited to just experience whatever happens while at space camp but from what's been said, i think it will be mostly good memories.
You do get out of it what you put into it, but for the most part I think if you go into it with a good mindset, it's be very difficult not to enjoy it.
Skidmark

spacekid1
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by spacekid1 »

well, i went. was amazing. 8)
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Details!
We want details!
Skidmark

Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

spacekid1 wrote:well, i went. was amazing. 8)
Give us information how it went. Love to hear stories of SC!!! :lol:
Adult Space Academy 2012 Team Columbia
Adult Space Academy 2013 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy 2014 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy with Astronaut 2015 Team Discovery
Volunteer at US Space & Rocket Center
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Stories? Photos? Random sentences that cannot quite explain the awesomeness of Space Camp?
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
spacekid1
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by spacekid1 »

oh hey. it's been a while since i went but yeah, i have pictures and stuff. i actually made a series of blog posts and videos about the trip!

Day 1- blog post // video
Day 2- blog post // video
Day 3- blog post // video

:D
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Good stuff, thanks for posting that. Most of here want to see other people's Camp experiences. Glad it was a good one!
So, were you planning on a return to Camp, right after getting home? I can't speak for everyone, but I do know that "Post-Space Camp depression" is a very real thing for some people (such as myself)...
Skidmark