Pre-camp prep?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

drpepper
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Pre-camp prep?

Post by drpepper »

Pretty excited about my first trip to space camp this fall. I've read the checklists of what to bring, but wondering if there are any other helpful tips for preparation? Books to read? Thanks!
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Pre-camp prep?

Post by Hotdog »

My favorite was always The Space Shuttle Operator's Manual

Or, if you want to get real serious, there's the real thing:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf ... manual.pdf

You could also read up on astronauts, missions, dates and history, it will help you win the Space Bowl (trivia game).
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

drpepper wrote:Pretty excited about my first trip to space camp this fall. I've read the checklists of what to bring, but wondering if there are any other helpful tips for preparation? Books to read? Thanks!
Woo-hoo! I'm sure you'll have a great time at camp this fall.

There is no preparation that's required for camp. You'll be taught the important things that you need to know. But having an overall idea about history of manned space travel (mostly US, but also the early Soviet program) and the different vehicles will definitely be beneficial. It will help in Space Bowl and also give you a better understanding of the significance of the major milestones in space exploration and some of the items in the museum.

There are tons of books written about the US space program. Most of the early astronauts have biographies and/or autobiographies out. Any of those would be great. Gene Kranz's "Failure is Not an Option", Christopher Kraft's "Flight: My Life In Mission Control" are great books from the point of view of the guys who stayed on the ground.

I'd also recommend some movies/DVD series. "From the Earth to the Moon" is excellent and will give you a great overview of the US space program from the early days through the Apollo program. There are some great IMAX movies (available on DVD) including "The Dream is Alive" (my favorite) which will give you good information (and beautiful visuals) on the shuttle program.

And it's never going to hurt to work on your balance a little bit, as that may come in handy on some of the obstacles in Area 51 (low ropes/team building course). That can be as easy as standing on one foot (without holding onto anything, of course) for a couple of minutes at a time. Try it while you're brushing your teeth. Alternate legs (right leg in the morning, left at night or something). Do it without shoes and/or standing on a towel to make it more difficult. Or, try it with your eyes closed for a real challenge.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Just go into it knowing that most people with you are equally clueless about the stuff you're doing.
gt0163c wrote:But having an overall idea about history of manned space travel (mostly US, but also the early Soviet program) and the different vehicles will definitely be beneficial. It will help in Space Bowl and also give you a better understanding of the significance of the major milestones in space exploration and some of the items in the museum.
Yes, either really dvie into space trivia or quickly ID anyone in your team whop knows such things. In the Space Bowl, they'll ask questions that never got covered anywhere at Camp. For example, a few questions that I recall from past years, I was the only one on either team who knew the answers for them:
-What's the unit of measurement for space sickness?
-Who was the first African-American to fly in space?
-Who was the CSM pilot on Apollo 11?
If you're lucky, you'll have someone on your team who knows space trivia and will have the chance to use them in group-answered questions.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
drpepper
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by drpepper »

Thanks all!
I admit my question was partly related to my competitive spirit and wanting to kill it in trivia.
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino