Total noob...where have I been?!

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Re: Total noob...where have I been?!

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Thanks! It's ALL I can think about. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next two weeks haha. Unfortunately Delta bumped my flight from a 5pm departure to 3pm, so I'll have to blast out of there soon after graduation or miss the last flight home. I'll be staying at a friend's apartment about 5 minutes from camp and was planning on having him drop me off around 10 or 10:30, so sounds like that idea was a good one :D
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

wxnerdjenn wrote:Thanks! It's ALL I can think about. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next two weeks haha.
It doesn't get any easier. October was my third time and the previous 6 months, I didn't really care about anything much but getting back to Huntsville.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

wxnerdjenn wrote:Thanks! It's ALL I can think about. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next two weeks haha. Unfortunately Delta bumped my flight from a 5pm departure to 3pm, so I'll have to blast out of there soon after graduation or miss the last flight home. I'll be staying at a friend's apartment about 5 minutes from camp and was planning on having him drop me off around 10 or 10:30, so sounds like that idea was a good one :D
One more thing, the space center opens up at 9:00 am. If you show at the main entrance your space camp papers, you can go ahead & enter to look around the space center. I always arrive a day early, I want to enjoy are much as possible. Just a thought if you are crazy about the space center as I am. :lol:
Adult Space Academy 2012 Team Columbia
Adult Space Academy 2013 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy 2014 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy with Astronaut 2015 Team Discovery
Volunteer at US Space & Rocket Center
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Excellent! I was worried I wouldn't have enough time to look around since I have to leave so soon after graduation. I assume they will be able to find a place I can stick my bags so I can wander around before check in time?
Team Challenger
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

wxnerdjenn wrote:Excellent! I was worried I wouldn't have enough time to look around since I have to leave so soon after graduation. I assume they will be able to find a place I can stick my bags so I can wander around before check in time?
Call camper services. They should be able to give u more information.
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Yup, we'll hold your luggage at Trainee Services (aka Camper Services). Kathy should be in there most of the day on Friday, but if the office is empty and unlocked, feel free to stash it under one of the tables and leave a note on Kathy's desk.
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Street for the win! :mrgreen:
She strikes again with excellent camper assistance! She rocks and I was glad to finally meet her in October. :D
Skidmark

Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

street wrote:Yup, we'll hold your luggage at Trainee Services (aka Camper Services). Kathy should be in there most of the day on Friday, but if the office is empty and unlocked, feel free to stash it under one of the tables and leave a note on Kathy's desk.
Great work for helping campers providing total camp experience, way to go Street!!!! :lol:
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

street wrote:Yup, we'll hold your luggage at Trainee Services (aka Camper Services). Kathy should be in there most of the day on Friday, but if the office is empty and unlocked, feel free to stash it under one of the tables and leave a note on Kathy's desk.
Brilliant! Thank you so much!! I leave a week from tomorrow so I am BEYOND excited!
Team Challenger
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Jenn, we all expect a full report - with photos - soon after you get back!
Frankly, I'm dying to hear about a SC experience from someone who had to deal with cold weather. I'd love it if it wasn't nearly as hot in Huntsville as every time when I've gone there...
Skidmark

street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

p51 wrote:Jenn, we all expect a full report - with photos - soon after you get back!
Frankly, I'm dying to hear about a SC experience from someone who had to deal with cold weather. I'd love it if it wasn't nearly as hot in Huntsville as every time when I've gone there...
The temps should be back to January 'normal' by next weekend. The current forecast is for mid 40s during the day and low 30s at night. Should be nice!
Living the dream
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Sounds good! I love cold weather, but I'd prefer 30s-40s over teens and 20s like we're having now. It's way easier to just throw on a hoodie than a hoodie, jacket, scarf, hat, etc lol. I've just rewatched the entire From Earth to the Moon series and a 4 part series on Netflix and have been reading Failure is Not an Option so I am stoked to go pretend I'm a kid for a weekend. If only Space Camp had an apollo simulator, haha
Team Challenger
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

p51 wrote:Jenn, we all expect a full report - with photos - soon after you get back!
I agree, love to see pictures from your camp experience. Never been to camp in the winter, I know your experience will be great!! :lol:
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

wxnerdjenn wrote:If only Space Camp had an apollo simulator, haha
You probably wouldn't want to do an Apollo sim. Hope into the mockup in the Davidson center they have for an Apollo capsule and you'll see what I mean. It's so small in there, you'd have to climb outside just to change your mind.
Hopefully you'll get to use the Orion and Altair. The software for the lander is pretty goofed up still, but the Orion is sort of like Apollo but with up to date electronics and room to breathe inside...
Skidmark

street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Jen, don't forget to pick up your frame when you stop by Trainee Services. If no one is in the office it is on top of the tall black cupboard by the ladder with your screen name on. Just leave the money on Kathy's desk.
Living the dream
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

street wrote:Jen, don't forget to pick up your frame when you stop by Trainee Services. If no one is in the office it is on top of the tall black cupboard by the ladder with your screen name on. Just leave the money on Kathy's desk.
Sounds good! I'll stop by there first on Friday morning. I am so excited I can't even stand it. I don't know how I'm going to make it through my work day tomorrow. I can't wait to share my experiences with you guys.
Team Challenger
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Well that's a little disappointing. I just got an email that due to renovations in Hab 1, we'll be in Hab 2 and 3 this weekend. I'm sure it will be just fine, but my initial reaction is disappointment because there's a big difference in having a small room for a few people vs a large room with who knows how many people in it. They offered to switch camp dates for free, but with only 3 days advance notice, if it was really that big of a deal to someone, there's no way travel plans could be changed. Again, though, I'm sure it will be fine and won't really have any effect on my camp experience.

I'm almost packed and ready to go. After work tomorrow, I'll finish up packing the toys (phone charger, ipad charger, etc) and my mom is going to take me to my dad's. He lives closer to the airport and will take me Thursday morning.
Team Challenger
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

wxnerdjenn wrote:Well that's a little disappointing. I just got an email that due to renovations in Hab 1, we'll be in Hab 2 and 3 this weekend. I'm sure it will be just fine, but my initial reaction is disappointment because there's a big difference in having a small room for a few people vs a large room with who knows how many people in it. They offered to switch camp dates for free, but with only 3 days advance notice, if it was really that big of a deal to someone, there's no way travel plans could be changed. Again, though, I'm sure it will be fine and won't really have any effect on my camp experience.
Sounds like something got unexpectedly behind..

My last Hab1 room had space for 7 (5 upper beds, 2 lower) but I would not call it a large room.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

wxnerdjenn wrote:Well that's a little disappointing. I just got an email that due to renovations in Hab 1, we'll be in Hab 2 and 3 this weekend. I'm sure it will be just fine, but my initial reaction is disappointment because there's a big difference in having a small room for a few people vs a large room with who knows how many people in it.
That's kinda a bummer. But it might also be a good thing. Last time I was at camp (adult ASA), they put us two to a room in Hab1. It was nice to have the extra space and both get a bottom bunk. But it did mean that we didn't get to know our non-roommate team members quite as well. Being able to room with all the people on your team (of the same gender) will give you an opportunity to get to know them better and might help your team to gel a bit quicker.
There probably won't be a ton of people at camp (it is the off-season) and I can't imagine they'd put kids and adults in the same sleeping bay. So I can't imagine your bay will be overly crowded.

Good luck getting through work. Safe travels. Have a blast. And then come back and tell us all about it so we can live vicariously through your experience!
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

You don't spend much time in your room anyway. Personally, I think it would be neat to sleep in Hab2 or Hab3, if only for a different experience. If you think of it as a unique opportunity, you're getting a bonus experience. I also think it would be a great way to interact with all your female team mates each evening (vs. only one or two of them), which could build some stronger bonds. Plus, Hab2 has better climate controls, so you shouldn't freeze at night. (Can't speak to Hab3 at night.)

Have an awesome trip. We are all excited to hear all about it upon your return.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017