Total noob...where have I been?!

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Total noob...where have I been?!

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Hi guys, I just registered after finding this site today. I am 31 and have dreamed of space camp since a school field trip to the Houston space center in 6th grade. Unfortunately such luxuries were never in my single dad's budget. Last week to celebrate my birthday, my amazing mom paid for us to go to Houston and do jsc's level nine tour. That reignited my interest in space and unleashed a monster. I was planning a trip to Huntsville for an unknown point in the not so distant future and stumbled upon a page about space camp for adults. Holy cow, I about fell out of my chair. How on earth did I never know about this before?! Anyway, my heart is set and I'm definitely going as soon as I can. I noticed on the registration page that there is only one four day camp listed. Bummer. I won't be able to swing the money (and time off work) in time to snag one of of last 3 spots. The dates listed only go through September, so I'm wondering if that's it until next summer or is there any hope for sometime after September?

I am so excited already and can't wait til I can bit that registration button and make it real. Glad I found a forum to provide some further information!

Jenn
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Total noob...where have I been?!

Post by p51 »

Jenn,
Welcome to the club. We have jackets. Really! :wink:
We all know where you're coming from. You'll love Space Camp. I've done it twice now and will be going back again this fall (I'm in my 40s).
Traditionally, they've stopped adult programs by mid Fall. This year has been very odd, though. Not long ago, most adult programs were a week long, and many people are trying to get that back.
I suggest going through a lot of threads on this forum, you'll find a lot of answers to questions you might have.
But feel free to ask anything, there's a lot of experience and knowledge here.
-Lee
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Thanks! I checked out your website too and now I'm even MORE excited, haha. I'm bummed I'll likely have to wait until next summer to go since there's no way I can come up with the money in time for any of this year's dates, though unless I could convince my dad to just let me pay him back..........(Oh dear, now the wheels in my head are turning). The more I look at on this forum and google, the more excited I get. I'm a pretty shy person but I tend to be okay in environments where I'm surrounded by people with like interests so I imagine I'll be okay at space camp. After having the privilege of sitting in an actual shuttle trainer at JSC, the thought of getting to spend an entire weekend actually being allowed to push buttons is overwhelming.
Team Challenger
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I hear you on the money and time. With me, I can afford to go, but getting my wife to give the thumbs up was the hard part at first (she has a odd way of knowing what's truly important to me and rarely says no in such cases).
wxnerdjenn wrote:ThaI'm a pretty shy person but I tend to be okay in environments where I'm surrounded by people with like interests so I imagine I'll be okay at space camp.
You'll be fine, I promise you that. I've been to SC with some folks I could tell were shy normally, but none had problems with their team.
wxnerdjenn wrote:After having the privilege of sitting in an actual shuttle trainer at JSC, the thought of getting to spend an entire weekend actually being allowed to push buttons is overwhelming.
I've been lucky enough to be the pilot on one orbiter mission and the commander on another. I'm an old cockpit geek from way back (won't bore you with the list of aircraft I've flown in, in the military and volunteer work with WW2 stuff as it's a very long list, including fighter planes), but the orbiter stick is almost as good as any real flight I've ever had. When I greased the landing of Atlantis last Fall on the 2-hour mission, I had a smile that explosives couldn't have removed.
I must admit I've always felt kind of, 'Meh' about the ISS missions (though some people love running the experiments), but you can always count me in for anything with the orbiter or mission control.
As for the orbiter FFT, I've seen it many times at Houston and it's new home in Seattle:
Skidmark

wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Here's the one I got to squeeze, climb, and contort myself into. https://www.flickr.com/photos/serietah/14526533417/
Team Challenger
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

Jenn, I know how excited a person can be on over space. I know your goal, reach for it. If this does not happen in the fall, there is always next year. I will be back at the Space Center soon & I will try to check on 2015 dates. There is nothing like being at camp, the camp is a space experience like no other. The first year I went I was a adult, I was in the boat as you were, as a child. What a time, being Mission Control Director, what a blast. I wish you the best on coming to camp. If you have any questions, lots of folks for sure can answer your questions here on HabForum!! :)
Steve
Adult Space Academy 2012 Team Columbia
Adult Space Academy 2013 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy 2014 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy with Astronaut 2015 Team Discovery
Volunteer at US Space & Rocket Center
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Jenn,
If you go (and you really should), you'll find out that many of the adults who go to SC never got to go as kids and many had recently found out about adult programs. In fact, I never encountered anyone during the times I've gone as an adult who had also gone as a kid. The average age seems to be in the upper 20s to early 30s from what I could tell but I've seen people past retirement age as campers. Everyone hits the ground running at the same speed and only people who've gone to SC before have any manner of leg up on anyone else (and among those, I've never seen one of them rubbing someone else's nose in that fact).
Few would disagree with me that they really don't advertise the adult programs well and it's one of the best kept secrets out there. If you go, you'll later on hear people's shocked reactions that you went as an adult. If I had a nickel for every time I heard, "Wow, I didn't know adults could go to that, how cool," I'd be rich now.
I've done a lot of things in my life that many people would find interesting. But one of the coolest thing I feel like I've ever done was each time I've gotten to walk through the camper gates at Huntsville and know I was there to do something I'd have given my left leg to get to do as a kid.
It never gets old. If you can, GO, and I can't imagine you'll ever regret it.
Lee
Skidmark

wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

I am definitely going next summer, 100%, even if I have to crawl all the way there lol. Hoping to squeeze into the last September date this year. I asked my dad if I could borrow the money or have an early expensive Christmas and birthday present. He said "we'll see" so, fingers crossed haha. Being a daddy's girl even at 31 years old has its benefits! I'm a college student and work full time so getting to escape to Space Camp for a few days would be spectacular, especially right before midterms this fall. It's great to know most adults didn't go as kids (and ones that did don't rub it in...) so I won't feel out of place or too far behind. I'm so excited at the thought of maybe getting to go in a couple months! I hope all of you guys who are going this year will let me live vicariously through you via posts and pictures :D
Team Challenger
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

Jenn, I am going back this August for my 13th trip as an adult. I never attended as a child. Although I am not in the retirement age group mentioned earlier, I am closing in on it! :D I had a man on one of my teams who was over 70. P51 is quite accurate when he says that nothing matches the feeling and it never gets old. Each time there, I have experienced new things and learned new things. This year I will participate in my first lunar mission! I will be sure to share the voluminous photos that I generally take. I may do some videos too. Stay tuned......
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Hey Jenn,

First of all, welcome! You're going to LOVE Space Camp! I'm one of the fortunate few who was able to attend Space Camp both as a kid and as an adult. My husband, however, only came to camp as an adult - with a group of multi-time veterans, no less - and still loved every minute and never felt like he was falling behind or left out because he hadn't been there before. In fact, many of our team mates took him under their wing and supported him the entire week.

If you have any interest in space (and clearly you do) and you want to be there, you are going to have an incredible time. We're here if you have any specific questions about the facility or program, provide tips, and talk about your experience when you get home. :)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

I've finally settled for a date for my first space camp adventure! I've already got a week in France planned for April, so I'm going to just extend my time off work and go to space camp April 10-12. We'll be leaving for Paris on the 15th so I'll have a jam packed vacation. That gives me plenty of time to pay for camp and to drop a chunk of weight I'd rather not take with me to camp or my first international trip. I was going to go ahead and register and pay the first payment today but I remembered reading about a Black Friday deal from last year so I'll hold off until then. Now to stalk expedia until the price of a plane ticket goes down....

Anyone happen to know if the only chance to buy the $90 set of camp clothing is during the initial registration or if I can go back and add that later? It's much cheaper to buy it in that package than to buy everything separately.
Team Challenger
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

wxnerdjenn wrote:I've finally settled for a date for my first space camp adventure! I've already got a week in France planned for April, so I'm going to just extend my time off work and go to space camp April 10-12. We'll be leaving for Paris on the 15th so I'll have a jam packed vacation. That gives me plenty of time to pay for camp and to drop a chunk of weight I'd rather not take with me to camp or my first international trip. I was going to go ahead and register and pay the first payment today but I remembered reading about a Black Friday deal from last year so I'll hold off until then. Now to stalk expedia until the price of a plane ticket goes down....

Anyone happen to know if the only chance to buy the $90 set of camp clothing is during the initial registration or if I can go back and add that later? It's much cheaper to buy it in that package than to buy everything separately.
After you purchase your camp, you can go back & order your camp gear. I did that myself & it was waiting on me when I arrived in the main gift shop. Plan to get to get early day of the camp or if your able day before. I always arrive to early to hang out, but try arrive that morning for sure to pick up your gear. It always exciting to arrive early anticipate what camp is. I am glad you are getting to camp. You will experience a blast of a time!!! :lol:
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Well, I did it! After talking with my mom some more about the idea of going to camp then France 2 days later, I decided that probably isn't such a good idea, especially at the end of a semester right before finals. I decided to go to camp in January and paid my deposit tonight! Of course then I read about how they can cancel a camp if there isn't enough participation, so I'm all nervous now. I wonder how often that happens...

I appreciate all the answers and support you guys have been giving me, and apologize for so many over-excited posts (it's going to get worse, haha) I just can't believe a 20 year old dream is going to come true in 4 months!

137 days til space camp. 1/16/2015 :D
Team Challenger
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

wxnerdjenn wrote:Well, I did it! After talking with my mom some more about the idea of going to camp then France 2 days later, I decided that probably isn't such a good idea, especially at the end of a semester right before finals. I decided to go to camp in January and paid my deposit tonight! Of course then I read about how they can cancel a camp if there isn't enough participation, so I'm all nervous now. I wonder how often that happens...

I appreciate all the answers and support you guys have been giving me, and apologize for so many over-excited posts (it's going to get worse, haha) I just can't believe a 20 year old dream is going to come true in 4 months!

137 days til space camp. 1/16/2015 :D
Wish you the best on your camp, sometimes it hard to describe the experience you will have. To each who love Space, the experience will have a special place in your heart!!!
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

Camp is now a mere 30 days away. I can't believe how quickly time has flown, and can't wait to hop on that plane. I've also signed up for the September 4 day (figured it's safe to assume I will love camp and want to go back), so that's two camps for me in 2015! Gotta make up for that lost time ya know. I think I may try to add a page onto my storm chasing/photography website for camp so I can blog and dump photos. I can't wait for January!
Team Challenger
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

It will be interesting to see the contrast of the Winter/Summer Space Camp experience (yes, early September is still VERY SUMMER in Huntsville). Also, the difference you feel with the 3-day vs. the 4-day "bang for your buck". You will have an awesome time doing both sessions, but it will be neat to get your perspective on things.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Hotdog wrote:It will be interesting to see the contrast of the Winter/Summer Space Camp experience (yes, early September is still VERY SUMMER in Huntsville).
Good point here. I've gone as late as mid October but have never felt anything but very warm at the coolest. I couldn't imagine going to SC where you're looking to be warm as it's so darned hot in the summer ad Fall there!
Skidmark

street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Quite frankly, you never know what the weather will be in January! Prepare for cold (highs in the 30s), but bring layers, as sometimes Januarys turn off gorgeous with temps in the 60s! As the old adage goes, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...it'll change! :mrgreen:
Living the dream
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

TWO WEEKS!! In a mere two weeks from today, I'll be on a plane heading to Huntsville! I made my initial packing list last night and decided against taking my Canon 6D, as I know I will be too excited to try to get quality photos. I'll take a point and shoot and maybe my Samsung NX series bridge which will take higher quality photos but doesn't take up nearly as much space as the 6D. And instead of bringing my laptop or chromebook, I'll just bring the ipad for blog notes and just do actual posts to my website when I get home.

I am so excited, can't believe this dream is finally going to come true. I'm already bummed that it's only a 3 day adventure, and looking forward to my 4 day camp in September.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! 2015 is going to start off with a bang :D
Team Challenger
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

wxnerdjenn wrote:TWO WEEKS!! In a mere two weeks from today, I'll be on a plane heading to Huntsville! I made my initial packing list last night and decided against taking my Canon 6D, as I know I will be too excited to try to get quality photos. I'll take a point and shoot and maybe my Samsung NX series bridge which will take higher quality photos but doesn't take up nearly as much space as the 6D. And instead of bringing my laptop or chromebook, I'll just bring the ipad for blog notes and just do actual posts to my website when I get home.

I am so excited, can't believe this dream is finally going to come true. I'm already bummed that it's only a 3 day adventure, and looking forward to my 4 day camp in September.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! 2015 is going to start off with a bang :D
Happy New Year to you!!
I remember my first camp experience like yesterday, you will enjoy. I suggest you go to the hab during the morning around 10:30 am morning of camp to get your camp materials & ID badge for the camp. Most 3 days start at 1:00 pm. Just a note, you will hit the floor running. Your time in camp will be so busy, so prepare with camera to snap to shots for your memories. I took a small cannon with my I phone & got alot great shots. The camp experience is becoming one team, performing the missions & having a blast of a time. So get ready to have the time of your life.
One more suggestion: if your flight home on Sunday is not right after graduation, take 1:00 pm bus tour on to Marshall Space Flight Center. It lasts two hours.I never get tried of going. You will see test stands used in Saturn 5, Redstone & more. A great stop is the Mission Control for experiments on ISS. You will see real time work being done. So enjoy your camp, enjoy the ride!!! :lol: