4 people wondering what ASA is like(and why not to go to SA)

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

maverick
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

4 people wondering what ASA is like(and why not to go to SA)

Post by maverick »

For all first timers,

I found ASA a great experience (because we had an, the campers were treated very well, and the food they serve is very good. I came without previous experience, and I did fine. (Although I heard from a veteran camper that she met a camper who knew how to push all the buttons correctly in the cockpit at an astonishing speed) We did not have to wear uniforms of any kind except during missions. I highly recommend it. The people in my group were not academic geniuses or ***holes, I had a good time. If your heart beats to a different drum of any kind, this is the place for you.

However, by looking at the Space Camp and Space Academy campers, I thought to myself, thank goodness I did not go when I was younger (I wanted to go when I was about 10). They must wear the same t-shirts, and the counselors seemed to be more stricter (due to the age differences).
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Un response to your last message. Its true the counselors are stricter in the younger programs but it is apropriate to kids of that age. I went to camp in 91 and Academy level 1 in 93. Also Aviation Challenge Mach 3 in 96 and Advanced academy in 98. As for the shirts they really arent forced to wear anything specific except on team picture day but for some reason when i went and later i also noticed this that the younger kids seem to like to wear their space camp clothes whether it be shirts, shorts both or flight suits every day. I'll admit when i went to camp i probably did the same thing but that was more than 10 years ago now. All the programs are good but i Agree Advanced Academy is the best program but when i went to camp 11 years ago i thought it was just as great at the time. It all depends on the point of view of the person at the time. And at the age of the campers in the younger programs those programs are verry good. just my opinion.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
orion8
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by orion8 »

I wouldn't want to have gone when i was younger because the older kids would pick on you. We spent a great deal of time at ASA messin' with the little kids in camp. they were such brats! and our counselor encouraged us to do this. anyway the program seems cheesier, but then again when i was that age, i guess i would've liked it! They know that the kids are there to have alot of fun, an so they give'em a fun time, with a little learning, too. the 'ASA'er's are there because they want to someday work in that field, or to learn, or whatever the reason. They are more mature, and are there for the whole 'nasa' experience. this is what makes it fun.

ASA rocks!! anybody wondering if they should go, the answer is yes, it is so much fun! the people are great! the SCUBA is cool, but if for some reason you cant do it, then don't worry, it is only a miniscule part of the week, and you'll have so much fun, you wont care!

Matt

P.S. the people there are not nerds (like i used to think), but are really cool people (much like yourself, right?)
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

ASA is the best time ever. You do so much in so little time. You also get to choose your position and camp and academy don't get to. In ASA you also get 3 one hour training missions as well as a 6 hour EDM. Every position is a blast, even in mission control (unless you're PROP and you do nothing for 6 hours). Even though I haven't been to SA I know ASA is better. Also, you're not as tightly controlled as SA campers because we are older. A councellor left 6 of my group at the Space Shot for half and hour and we rode it non stop.
orion8
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by orion8 »

yeah totally... our counselor left us to ride the space shot like 30 times nonstop. In EDM I was flight director and my PROP was really bored, but everyone else was busy. I thought the MOCR would be boring but it's really very fun, especially the medical anomalies (I had a nervous breakdown and started crying!!) This year I will want to be in Orbiter, though, because I have never been in it for the EDM. The Pilot job is kinda hard because of all the checklists and time pressure. This year I'm going to be a PS track, so I hope it's fun, because I really wanted to be an MS, since they do all the fun stuff, it seems. Orbiter... I remember Darby pronounced it "Warpiter"! Anyway...

Matt
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

yeah, the medical anomalies during the EDM are awsome. One time, I got to go completely crazy and it took quite a long time for my teammates to figure out exactly what my problem was. I practically destroyed half of mission control before they figured it out!

Another time I had to have a seizure in MOCR. Again, it took a little while for my team to figure out what was wrong...that got kinda tiring! In fact, I was a little sick after, but it was worth it!!!
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

ASA is the best thing ever!!! I met so many new people from all across the US and one from Mexico! I still keep in touch with some. I have never had so much fun before. Being surrounded with people who share similar interests and playing astronaut for a week is great fun!!!
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009