Habitats

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

TopGun
Camper
Camper

Habitats

Post by TopGun »

Which habitat do the space academy people sleep in?
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Re: Habitats

Post by Boomerang »

As long as i've been around its been hab 1. Camp is usualy hab 2 and AC for most of its season is down at the lake.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

It depends upon the capacity requirements that week. As Boomerang said, usually Academy and Advanced Academy are in Hab I with 7 beds per room, but there have been times when we've had to put those programs in Hab II.
Living the dream
Krw3r
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Krw3r »

Do the Habitats have plugs you can use to charge cameras or other devices?

How big are the lockers? Do you think a carryon size suitcase will fit inside?
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Krw3r wrote:Do the Habitats have plugs you can use to charge cameras or other devices?
Yes, wall outlets are available in the Habs for charging things.
Krw3r wrote:How big are the lockers? Do you think a carryon size suitcase will fit inside?
"Carry-on" is such a vague term these days, given the sorts of suitcases I've seen people carry on to an airplane and try to ninja into the overhead compartments, so it's hard to say. Probably it will, but maybe it won't. If it doesn't, standard operating procedure is to unpack your stuff into the locker and set the bag aside.
Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

There are two lockers in each room that are extra-sized. Larger suitcases will fit. I always
hog one of them, plus two of the smaller ones. But I bring a small fan for white noise,
so no one has ever complained.
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I don't bring a fan. The rooms get so cold as it is that I have sometimes brought a quilt, when I drive down. I do bring a white noise generator which helps to cover the noise of the kids running around and slamming doors outside. I generally do what Vincent suggests. Unpack my bag into the locker and either see if one of the big lockers is open for my suitcase, or set it aside out of the way. I always bring an extra lock, just in case, although several of us have shared the big lockers for our suitcases in the past, since it wasn't really a high-theft item.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Phoenix PK wrote:There are two lockers in each room that are extra-sized. Larger suitcases will fit. I always
hog one of them, plus two of the smaller ones.
Nope, only one extra-sized locker per room. The other six are approximately 18"x48"x24" deep. The only way you'll get to 'hog' 3 lockers is if you are attending a program that only puts 2 or 3 people in a room (family programs and adult programs). I recommend putting your valuables in your locker (there is a lower compartment with a lid that's good for that), then what ever else you can fit in there, then stashing your suitcase (with any overflow of clothing) under one of the two lower bunks or under the desk. Of course if you are a teenager everything is just in a big mash up in the middle of the room...just like home! :mrgreen:
Living the dream
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Wish they had team cameras back in the day!

In '92, I dropped my camera on the concrete pathway between what is now Mars Grill and the picnic area and the film was completely exposed. This was the roll that had all of pictures of my teammates and training which, unlike bus tour and museum pics, I could never re-take. This was the most cohesive and tight team I was ever on at Camp, and the feeling of losing all the good memories that were on that roll was devastating.

Thank goodness we have digital cameras now.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner