Curious: Water activities for Aviation Challenge

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

5inNH
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Curious: Water activities for Aviation Challenge

Post by 5inNH »

Hi:
My son reported in and is having a great time so far. They are off to the lake right now. Are the water activities aviation related for the 9-11 age group or are they just swimming?

By the way, the counselors have been great at telling the kids when to pull out their cell phones and check in at home. My son called this morning and I said "what's up" and he said "nothing, I was just told to call home".

Thanks again.

Michelle
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Is your son in the Aviation Challenge program or Space Camp program the activities vary from program to program
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
5inNH
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by 5inNH »

Aviation Challenge -- age 9-11

I'm looking forward to his call tonight! He is loving Camp!
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Ok that i can give you some idea of what they do. Thee water activities are centered around water survival training what to do if you eject and end up in the water.

The ones i remember are life raft drills essentially geeting into the raft paddling etc, the helo dunker which simulates a water landing in a helicopter though unlike the real ones used by the military it does not flip over it mostly submerges and they are taught and follow an evacuation procedure from the fuselage, the helo hoist simulating being rescued from the water via helicopter using a rescue basket covering what to do and not do in the process of being rescued as a mistake in a real world helicopter rescue could be deadly to the person being rescued, and they do flotation exercises. These teach you how to stay awake with what you have when you bail out minis a life raft. They learn how to use clothing as floats as well as a pilot helmet.

These are atleast the ones i remember when i worked there for this age group their may be newer ones or ones i'm forgetting. The exercises are a lot of fun.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
5inNH
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by 5inNH »

Thank you. It's all fascinating. I want to be at camp too! LOL.

Michelle
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

We here at Hab1 are planning an adult trip next fall. Stick around, perhaps you will decide to join us!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Hotdog wrote:We here at Hab1 are planning an adult trip next fall. Stick around, perhaps you will decide to join us!
Hmm. If you can combine it with a SC session, I might wanna take part.
Now, as for the simulation of chopper crashes, I can't promise you how I'd deal with that. I've walked away from two Army helicopter crashes, one was very nasty (and I still have a lot of scars to prove it, both internal and external)...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!