Does Space Camp ever contact you before attendance?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

5inNH
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Does Space Camp ever contact you before attendance?

Post by 5inNH »

Hi:
I registered my son and received a confirmation number and an ID number for him but that is it. I have had no contact with them since. Is that normal?

Just getting a little anxious!

Michelle
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I’m signed up for the adult camp in 4 weeks (first time ever) and I, too, was unprepared for an overall lack of… hardly any kind of info at all. You fill out the forms, they take the money, and you just then show up with no real idea what you’re going to do there. I was hoping for a schedule of events at the very least to have an idea what I was going to experience. I’m former military so I have experience with going places to do training with minimal guidance. But I can only imagine what that must feel like for a parent under the same conditions, to send your kid off with no real clear idea what’s going to happen.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
5inNH
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by 5inNH »

I was very anxious about it until I finally found this forum. I've read all the Space Camp "what to bring" and feel my son will be prepared. He's a Boy Scout so he's use to surviving with rougher conditions but he's still only 11. I would have liked to prepare him with a schedule so he knew what to expect a little more.

Thanks for the reassurance that it's not just me.

Michelle
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Michelle,
You can call Camp directly with these questions. Someone who's going at the same time I am did just that yesterday and we had a talk over the phone last night for him to give me the info he was given. He was told they don't give a schedule as some things are dependent on the weather.
I got my answers that way, but you might think of calling the phone # on the website and asking whatever you need. I've called them in the past and found them very helpful when asking questions.
Lee
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
5inNH
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by 5inNH »

Thank you for the info about calling but I think we're fine thanks to this forum.

I will call on Friday to make sure the person picking him up at the airport is the name they gave me 8 weeks ago. Although, I'm sure Delta drops more unaccompanied minors off at Huntsville airport than anywhere else in the world.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

5inNH wrote:Thank you for the info about calling but I think we're fine thanks to this forum.

I will call on Friday to make sure the person picking him up at the airport is the name they gave me 8 weeks ago. Although, I'm sure Delta drops more unaccompanied minors off at Huntsville airport than anywhere else in the world.
The camp staff picking up your child at the airport will be wearing Space Camp uniforms and will know your child's name and flight details. They will be waiting for him at the gate when he arrives. If there are more children arriving at the same time, he will be brought to Space Camp's private room at the airport to wait. Once everyone is there for that time period, they will get on a van/bus to camp.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017