My Million Questions

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

alaskamak10
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

My Million Questions

Post by alaskamak10 »

Please help me answer them!

1. I am not picky, but my family is not the family who doesn't care about taste. Not to brag, but my mother's a great chef. So, how is the food?

2. If you read my name, you could probably figure out I'm from Alaska. It can get very cold up here, and I enjoy being cold! (lol!) So the air vents I've heard about; would they be perfect for me? Or too cold? Or would they blow hot air on me?(Please, no one worry about me and the heat... I'm also CALIFORNIAN! 8) )

3. Would anyone recommend being mischeivous and bring duct tape?

4. Should I bring my phone?

5. Should I bring any hair stuff...?(I'm not that kinda girl... I'm the 'what's up yo?' type... 8) )

6. How many people approximately will come to the gradute place?

(I'll add more... For now, help me with these!)
http://minecraft.ign.com/wiki/File:Cake.png
YUM!
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

1. The food was pretty decent when I was there. It was a step above what you get at the school cafeteria, but not quite on par with a Chilis or Applebees. So don't expect it to be Aunt Bea's home cooking, or prison food either. It can vary, but unless you're a really picky eater, there will be something at every meal you will like. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you will be too excited and having too much fun. And you will be so hungry that you will eat whatever!

2. I've never been to Alaska, but there was a couple of California kids in my dorm room who thought it was too cold. I did not meet anyone who was OK with the temperature of the rooms at night. I was in the Hab last month and nothing has changed. Best advice is to come prepared with warm sleeping clothes and if you don't need them, oh well.

3. Yes bring duct tape.

4. Yes bring phone but you will only need it to call home at the end of the night. You will be too busy the rest of the time.

5. ??? I'll let a female member answer this one for you. My guess would be that you will be too busy to care too much about your hair being perfect, but I'm not a girl so I wouldn't know.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Hot Dog has answered everything pretty much. I am from Canada so I can relate to those -40 degree winters. The Hab rooms were cool enough that I wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt to bed. I would bring some warm clothes to sleep in just in case... long pants and shirt.

Hair stuff? If it's just a small bottle of gel and/or a few hair clips, they may be useful enough to keep hair out of your face at Area 51 or whilst doing anything else semi-active. As for the straighteners, blow dryers, gazillion and one hair products, etc. leave them at home. Nobody really cares if your hair looks perfect anyway... they're all having too much fun to notice.

As for graduation, it really depends on who is on your team, where they are from, whose parents came with them, etc. It also depends on how many teams are at camp the week you are there. In the summer we had four or five teams so there were considerably more people there than when we only had one team of adults at graduation... I'm guessing anywhere from 50 to 150 people... but things could have changed since I was there. Perhaps a current or recent counsellor can provide a better answer.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017