Camera/cell phone

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Lin
Camper
Camper

Camera/cell phone

Post by Lin »

Hi everyone,

I'm pulling together my packing list and going over suggested things to bring. One thing I keep running into is the official paperwork says NOT to bring cell phones. If you do bring them, you're supposed to keep them in your locker during the day.

It seems like some rules are slightly different between the kids and adult camp. (I'm doing 3-day adult camp) Does anyone know whether this is also the cell phone policy for the adult camp?

And if it is... can we carry regular digital cameras during the day instead? I don't care about having my cell phone for calls or communication, but the camera on it is amazing and I had planned to use it to photograph camp. (Or maybe we can't anyway?)
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

A counselor isn't going to scold you for having a cell phone out, especially if it is your main picture-taking device.
Lin
Camper
Camper

Post by Lin »

Vincent wrote:A counselor isn't going to scold you for having a cell phone out, especially if it is your main picture-taking device.
Thanks! Good to know.

Is there any reason I shouldn't have it on the floor? For example, I imagine there's a place to set it down before I get in the multi-axis trainer, but maybe there isn't....
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Your fellow teammates will make great holders-of-cameras and takers-of-videos.
Lin
Camper
Camper

Post by Lin »

Vincent wrote:Your fellow teammates will make great holders-of-cameras and takers-of-videos.
Oh, awesome! Thank you. I thought about that, but I also wasn't sure if it would be imposing.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I will be bringing my cell but really I never get calls from anyone but my wife and she knows I won't likely be answering it during the day anyway.
As for cameras, I don't have small cameras really. My camera is a big, honking thing I take photos for publication with from time to time. I'm bringing that in a military helmet bag I take with me to space event stuff...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
alaskamak10
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by alaskamak10 »

I'm bringing a phone and a camera. This is gonna be my first year...
street
Counselor
Counselor

Re: Camera/cell phone

Post by street »

The reason the packing list and literature says not to bring a cell phone is because every year we donate tons of them to the battered women's shelter. That is also why we ask that you not bring your Ipods, Ipads, Ianythings, PSPs, Gameboys, MP3 players or any of that sort of thing. I currently have 7 game systems in nice cases with tons of games, sitting in the lost and found. Children lose them and no one thinks to call looking for them. :( Do not think this is restricted to children. I've had adults lose valuables as well (can you say 18K gold watch, wedding bands, etc.?).

You will not have any 'spare' time for using these electronics while you are at Camp. We keep you very busy! Think of Space Camp rules as very similar to normal school rules. We don't want you distracted by phone calls/texts/games while you are in a learning environment. If you do bring your cell phone we will ask you to keep it secure in your locked locker except for the times you have time to make calls (30 minutes before lights out and 30 minutes after wake-up). If you want your child to have a travel phone I highly recommend you spend $25 or so and buy a disposable cell phone. It will give them a way to reach you while they are traveling, call you from camp and if it's lost you've not lost a $500 phone.

Obviously, adults are given more leeway. The adults are held to a different standard than children. We assume you are responsible enough to keep track of your belongings and know when it is appropriate to use your phone.

Cameras are highly encouraged! For children I recommend disposable cameras. Make sure their name is written on it and remind them not to peel the cardboard wrapper off the camera (or the name is gone!). If the child's name (first and last, spelled out) is on all of their belongings you have a much better chance of lost items being returned. We mail out lots of things every week. If your child arrives home without something, call Camper Services (256-721-7185). We are happy campers when we match up a lost item to it's owner. :D
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

When you're an adult, a cell phone is part of you these days. I mostly used mine as an alarm clock as I wanted to be up early each morning. I also texted some shots from camp to my wife and parents.
You so wanna take pictures, but not too many that you recorded camp instead of experienced it. I have no shots of me in actually doing anything with the F-18 simulator (no major loss as I've flown in a real one), MCC or the ISS but got a few of me in the cockpit of the Enterprise. There's a fine line between getting good shots and afterward realizing you didn't stop to take the experience in, though. Ask your pals to take shots of you doing cool stuff and do the same for them. You'll badly want those "I was there" photos later on!
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Lin
Camper
Camper

Post by Lin »

When I was doing my EVA, one of the instructors actually took pics and video of me with my cell phone. AWESOME shots and so kind of him to do. Another camper had asked him to do it for her (I never even thought of it) and he said it was no problem. I think it's something they do regularly for EVAs.
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

I think it's something they do regularly for EVAs.
Yep. For the weeklong camps counselors carry a camera and take photos of all the activities. These are loaded onto DVDs and sold at grad. Counselors are very used to taking photos.
Living the dream