Clothes

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Parker
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Clothes

Post by Parker »

Is there any specific clothing I can or can't wear? I am planning on wearing my marine corps BDU's without my blouse but bringing my entire uniform from the young marines. Is that ok and is there anything I can't bring?

Thanks in advance,

PFC. Parker James
young marine Drill Instructor
Drill team instructor
the past is history the future a mystery and the present is a gift.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

If you are going to Aviation challenge the BDU's wioll fit right in. Not sure what the current young marine uniform is but anything more formal than BDU's would probably be out of place. Many campers bring their own BDU's for wear. I was in marine JROTC when i attended Aviation challenge and wore my garrison cap with my Flight suit and only got one comment about it from a counselor who was training to become a marine. You will see alot of trainees bring military clothing with them. I wouldn't plan on wearing it all the time though bring some comfortable civies its what most peopkle wear on a daily basis but the bdus come in handy for some of the night outdoor activities. If you are mach 3 you will also be issued a flight suit for the week.

Other than that common sense should be used nothing profane or alchohol or drug related etc.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Parker
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Parker »

ya the uniform is just woodland cami's and rolled sleeves and shined black combat boots will my patches and chevrons be a problem i don't think so but its better to be sure
the past is history the future a mystery and the present is a gift.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I doubt it i remember seeing civil air patrol cadets with patches and insignia on bdus when i worked there
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

You won't have much use for the shined boots and be sure anything you wear you won't mind getting dirty. AC is not a clean and shiny camp! You get down and get dirty, literally! I always tell moms who call to send things you wouldn't care if it didn't come home. It's a good rule of thumb for coming to camp. Be sure to bring an extra (old and very beat up) pair of sneakers for E&E/Blitzkrieg!
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

While I can't answer anything on what goes on there, I know uniforms really well, having served in about every climate there is (except arctic, thank God, but the Mt Rainier area in winter comes awfully close).
Alabama is hot this time of year. Real hot. Africa hot. Tarzan can't take this kinda hot (I love that line from "Biloxi Blues" and used it all the time in the Army). Older woodland BDUs came in two types; summer and winter. The summer stuff was much thinner and was made of 'ripstop' material. Nobody in the US military uses them officially now, so they're not tough to find in surplus places. Woodland is a great camo pattern for the Southeast, so I'd go with summer weight woodlands. There are oddles of commerical and specialized patterns (I always thought the USMC woodland digital "MARPAT" pattern works well) out there, but if you buy them new, it can get costly. Desert pattern stuff or Army ACU uniforms are made from a thinner but stronger material as well and are good for that kind of climate, too, for the most part. I wouldn't go with combat boots because your feet won't breathe well at all. Go with darker sneaks or hiking boots. And a mosquitto head net not only works good against the bugs, it is pretty good camo if you're trying to hide from soneone.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!