Adult camp discount?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Lin
Camper
Camper

Adult camp discount?

Post by Lin »

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to attend the adult 3-day this fall (squeeeeeee!). It's been a huge dream of mine to go, and now it looks like it will happen!

However, finances are tight and airfare is a cost that adds to the price of going to camp. (space camp!) Does anyone know:

- Is there a camp discount for anyone? (AAA members, members of the military, etc.)

- Is there an airfare discount with any airline if you tell them you're going to the camp?

- Is there a hotel discount if you tell them you're going to the camp? (I'm looking at coming in a day early, so I'll need a hotel room for one night).

I called the camp and asked them all this. The woman was very nice, but didn't seem completely sure about what was or wasn't available for discounts. Does anyone here know?

Thank you!
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I swear I've read somewhere that the hotel nearby does have a camp discount, but I'll be darned if I can recall where I saw that. I'd say just call and check with the Marriott, which is right next to the camp grounds.

When are you going to camp?
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Lin
Camper
Camper

Post by Lin »

Thanks! That's a good idea. I will give the hotel a call.

Just registered for camp! I couldn't wait any longer. :D

I'm signed up for Aug. 31-Sept. 2.
Lin
Camper
Camper

Post by Lin »

Well, airfare question answered! This was on my camp registration confirmation:

...contact Delta Airlines, the Official Airlines of U.S. Space Camp and Aviation Challenge for special discounts at
800-328-1111 and reference NM4JP, or the SPACECAMP travel agency, ADTRAV Travel, at 1-800-867-1428 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time Monday through Friday.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Please let us know if Delta's rate is any good.

It is my belief that they offer a discount off their full fair for Space Camp, but this often (always?) will still be more than what you would pay for a discounted ticket from a site like Travelocity or Hipmunk.

I might be wrong.
Lin
Camper
Camper

Post by Lin »

Thanks! You might be right. That's what happens with discounts sometimes. I will definitely update after I talk to Delta.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Didn't even think abouyt looking into airline discounts, but I'm only flying one-way, going to rent a car and do an epic cross-country sightseeing trip on the way back to the Pacific Northwest, my wife is coming down the day after I'm done with camp. So working on a discount for a 1-way trip probably won't work...
Lin wrote:Just registered for camp! I couldn't wait any longer. :D
I'm signed up for Aug. 31-Sept. 2.
I did the same thing two weeks ago, I'm set up for the following week. When you get, post how it was!
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Never say never, P51! I'd highly recommend going to various sites and exploring. Check frequently! The specials often change. Generally speaking, Tuesdays are the days to find the best bargains. Try flying in the middle of the week (say, arriving on Thursday, flying out on Monday) for the best fares. I was recently checking on fares for an overseas trip and found a variance of over $500! Check out Clark Howard http://www.clarkhoward.com/. He is the cheapskate guru!!

Driving home sounds wonderful! I've done the cross country trip a few times in my life, most recently from Huntsville to Seattle, and had a wonderful week! We meandered and explored and had a ball.
Living the dream
Lin
Camper
Camper

Post by Lin »

I ended up booking my flight with Delta the other day. I did try the meeting discount code Space Camp gave for Delta flights, but apparently they only work on certain fares... not the cheapest discount fare I was buying.

(However, I say try it anyway for anyone looking to book a flight. You never know. I spoke with Delta Meeting Network Reservations at 1-800-328-1111. The rep was super nice and very helpful. )

So for me the roundtrip cost $340. A week later it dropped to $290. Grrr. But it's Space Camp, so I'm okay with it. :)