Photos of the inside of the hab?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Photos of the inside of the hab?

Post by p51 »

I've searched here and elsewhere out of curiosity for photos of the inside of the hab. I'd like to know what they look like and what the living areas look like. Just curious what to expect this fall...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Here's a photo of the interior of a Hab I room (7 beds) that's in the program guide. It doesn't show the entire room, but it gives you an idea. Scroll down to the lower half of the page. It shows three girls standing in the middle of the room with their backs to the door (out of sight). The photographer has his back to two bunks.

http://www.spacecamp.com/camp/sc

The Hab I rooms have 7 bunks (5 upper, 2 lower). There are 7 lockers in the room as well as a desk with a bench. There is one large locker (it will hold an adult and their luggage!!!) and the rest are large enough to hold the majority of your clothes and your valuables. You need to bring your own padlock for your locker. There is space under the two lower bunks and the desk for everyone to stash their luggage. There is a seat height bench along one wall that is a good place for the room mates to store their toiletry bags and hang their towels. The desk isn't needed as such, so that gives you another place to put things. The beds are twin size and have a pillow, but a lot of folks like to bring their own pillow for comfort. Camp provides your bed linens, but be sure to bring your own towels and washcloth.

The room is not enormous. It was designed to be approximately the size of the shuttle mid-deck. No worries though, because the only time you spend in your room is the 30 minutes before lights out and the 30 minutes you have to get ready in the morning. Bathrooms are in the hall, so be sure to bring shower shoes (you have to have footwear outside your room) and clothes to wear to and from the bathroom (no streaking!). Remember the building is atrium style, so anyone on any floor can see you the minute you walk out your door.

If you are assigned to Hab II or III, you will be in a sleeping bay. The bays sleep anywhere from 25-50 individuals. With the exception of Sagittarius and Leo bays, there is a bathroom attached to the sleeping bay, but you still need to avoid streaking! Again, there is a locker for every bunk, but the Hab II and III lockers are standard gym style lockers.

I think it goes without saying, (but you'd be surprised at the questions parents ask) the rooms are single sex. In Hab I the boys are on one floor and the girls on another. In Hab II genders are mixed on the lower level, but separated and counselor make sure it stays that way. :)
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Thanks for the info. I’m signed up for the Adult camp in September, which should make for interesting times (much more potential for snoring and people less adaptable to a communal lifestyle than kids are, I bet). But I’m sure that much like my Army days, the hab will be a place to ‘rack out’ and store the stuff you don’t need at that moment than anything else. I plan on spending every waking moment on the move.
Skidmark

Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Hab Rooms

Post by Conan »

They usually don't put a full complement of adults in a room for adult camps. Every time I went there were only 3 or 4 to a room. One thing that I brought my last two times was a white noise generator and it was a real help. The snoring isn't as bad as the door-slamming which in the open hallways of the hab echoes throughout the entire building.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Unless you get assigned to a room with a really loud snorer! We ended up sleeping in the corridor one night because our bunk mate slept like dead (we couldn't wake her) and snored like a chainsaw. Thankfully, the staff on duty that night found us an empty room to use in the morning. *phew* (If only they noticed us sleeping on the floor earlier...)

Lesson of the story is, if one of your bunk mates is snoring so much it prevents you from sleeping, find the staff member on duty and ask them for another room. They'll find one for you. :)

And I'll second the adult camp numbers - they only had 3-4 adults in each of our rooms as well, so it must be fairly common to split up adults more in the off-season when Hab1 isn't as full.

One other piece of advice, and I'm not sure if it still holds true, Hab1 has some issues with their heating and cooling systems, in that only one can be on at a time, so the rooms can be chilly at night. Bring some warm pyjamas. On the flip side, they can also be quite warm...

Have a great time!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Cold Rooms

Post by Conan »

I'll second the cold rooms at night. I bought the Space Camp sweatsuit and used it for pajamas. A couple of times, I have even brought a quilt with me to add to the bedding. It can get very cold when the air conditioning is running.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Here are some images that will give you an idea of what the dorm rooms are like in Hab 1.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=space%20camp%20dorm
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SpaceCanada wrote:Unless you get assigned to a room with a really loud snorer!
I brought up snoring initially because it’s more of an issue with adults than kids (or used to be, maybe not anymore?) and when I was in the Army and we were out in the field, any enemy could just track us at night by the sound of the snores. One thing I didn’t think that my wife mentioned is that I snore (less than my wife thinks because she accuses me of snoring when I haven’t even gotten to sleep yet) and I hope I’m not someone that others tell camp stories about later on. I myself can sleep through anything once I’m out.
Conan wrote:I'll second the cold rooms at night. I bought the Space Camp sweatsuit and used it for pajamas. A couple of times, I have even brought a quilt with me to add to the bedding. It can get very cold when the air conditioning is running.
Growing up in the South, I think I’d enjoy sleeping in a colder room that time of year. That won’t be an issue for me at all. Just as long as it’s not hot in the hab, that’s what I would dread! But to be fair, I am so used to getting around 6 hours of sleep at night, I don’t need all that much and for just two nights, I can cope with darned near anything. I’ve gone that long in the military without sleeping at all, even longer in many cases (you do start to feel like you’re drunk and even hallucinate after about 4 to 5 days without sleep and constantly on the go, I have discovered). That’s like riding a bike; you always remember how to do that.
Hotdog wrote:Here are some images that will give you an idea of what the dorm rooms are like in Hab 1.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=space%20camp%20dorm
Thanks! Does anyone know what those railroad cars in the background in this one photo are used for?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlovely/10 ... 245377922/
Skidmark

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I think that photo was taken over at AC. Boomerang can probably answer that question for ya.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

The trailers are indeed at Aviation Challenge which i doubt you will visit during a weekend program. They are old rail cars once used by Strategic Air Command. One is used as an office by AC management. The other is condemned if its even still there. The now condemned one use to contain a full cockpit simulator of a B-52 from what i understand and was originaly used by SAC for training AC used the trailer as a lounge for counselors. They stopped that use just before i worked there.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008