Adult at 3-day camp, Fall of 2012, what should I expect?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Adult at 3-day camp, Fall of 2012, what should I expect?

Post by p51 »

I just signed up for a September slot last night and am going to the 3-day adult program. I've never been to space camp before (it's only been 30 years since I first dreamt of going). The website has very few details on the adult program. Therefore, I have some questions that I couldn't find elsewhere.
I would mostly be asking these questions of an adult that's been there in the last year and for the 3-day program, as I'm sure past experiences might not be relevant to what I'll encounter:
1. Do they house adults in the hab or at a hotel? I saw a blog on the former week-long adult camp than mentioned a hotel. I'm a former Army officer so I'm fine bunking with others, just curious as to what I should expect.
2. Does anyone think you odd if you show up with your flight suit already? I found a good on on ePay and have swapped out a couple of the patches and I have my own nameplate patch already (I used to volunteer with WW2 airplanes and wore flight suits then and on active duty so I have several already). The photos I've seen on places like flickr show most folks seem to have bought their suit at the camp. Do people give you grief for not looking like you bought yours the day before?
3. Generally, what do the adults do in the off hours? I'd assume most hang around the area?
4. What are the general hours for camp?
5. Do adult campers catch any grief from the public they might run into when in camp gear? I can hear it now, "What do you mean, you're not here with your kid? Geez, what's the matter with you, a grown man going to this program alone?"
6. How many adults show up for the 3-day course? How many groups are there if there are more than one?
7. Is the mission focus still on the Shuttles? I know that NASA is rudderless right now about manned space programs other than hitching rides with the Russians, but what is the camp training focus? Do I bother studying up on shuttle procedures or not?
8. Does Space Camp mail you anything with more details later on?
9. Any specific clothing items that are suggested that a person wouldn't think of ahead of time? Before people start talking about how hot it could get, I know all too well about Southern weather at the start of September, I was born and raised in Florida.
10. Is there anything that a recent camp attendee would suggest reading ahead of time?
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Ok its been a few years since i went to adult camp but some things really have not changed in many many years. I will try to answer a few of the questions you have.

1. They do house adult participants in Hab 1 this is the larger of the two buildings and as i recall has about 6 or 7 people in bunks in a room. Adults do have the option to stay off sight if they wish but it is at their own expense and not covered in your tuition if you stay anywhere else. Some adults chose to stay offsight but to me living in the hab was always part of the experience.

2. Flight suits some people have suits already and will bring them with them, some wont get them at all others will get them at camp. Having one already and personalizing it is not unusual though and many people will probably be more curious about where you got such a cool suit that isnt the generic one most others have. You might see some other personalized ones but dont count on it just be proud of it.

3. Off hours adults are allowed to leave the camp property and can go to town or can stay around the camp to sleep, just look around after hours or just get to know your teammmates if they stay around. One poplular option alot of adults enjoy and if you have any vetran atendees i'm sure you'll hear about is an ATO Abort To Otters. Otters is the bar next door to the camp at the Marriott hotel. Adults are free to go theor after hours it is a hotel bar so it can be a little pricy but its convenient and within walking distance. A warning here you will exit and reenter the camp through the security office. If an adult drinks too much and is visibly intoxicated to excess security will tell you to find somewhere else to stay for the night.

4. I honestly don't remember the hours but i believe we were done by about 10 -10:30 each night maybe someone else can help you out here

5. I have found the opposite to be true. Most adults you run into would rather be in your place. Many don't even know their is an adult space camp. I've even been asked if i was an astronaut once when i was in a gift shop in my flight suit.

6. Again someone else can probably answer this one better than i can.

7. I was recently told that Space Academy youth programs are now using an Orion style simulator. I know in the past adult weekend programs were based on the academy program so this may be the case now. I've also been told the ISS is taking more of a centerpiece now for most programs. Again a current employee can answer better than i can.

8. I believe most of the information and forms they use to mail out are now all on the website for download viewing or printing.

9. You seem to have a pretty good handle on how to dress for Alabama weather. I would emphasize comfortable shoes you will do a lot of walking.

10. Without knowing the latest program mission details i can't help much here
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Thanks for the reply! I just hope someone who’s gone through the program since it went to a 3-day one will respond with the other topics.
Boomerang wrote:1. They do house adult participants in Hab 1 this is the larger of the two buildings and as i recall has about 6 or 7 people in bunks in a room. Adults do have the option to stay off sight if they wish but it is at their own expense and not covered in your tuition if you stay anywhere else. Some adults chose to stay offsight but to me living in the hab was always part of the experience.
That should be funny. A bunch of adults in tight quarters like that. The last time I dealt with that, we had to stack weapons, flak jackets and helmets in a corner. Sounds like old times, without the danger (or the smell). Snoring will likely be the most common hazard.
Boomerang wrote:2. Flight suits some people have suits already and will bring them with them, some wont get them at all others will get them at camp. Having one already and personalizing it is not unusual though and many people will probably be more curious about where you got such a cool suit that isnt the generic one most others have. You might see some other personalized ones but dont count on it just be proud of it.
I’m not going nuts with mine, the one I got had the 25th anniversary patch on it, which is dated. I’m swapping it out for I'll be putting one of the Max Q '50th anniversary of Americans in orbit' patch where the 25th anniversary of Space Camp patch currently is on the right sleeve of the suit I now have (normally that's where the triangle shuttle patch seems to go). Here’s a link on that: http://maxqent.com/main.php?q=design-ai ... rsary.html the patch is oval so it should look fine in the same place on the sleeve. I also have a name plate already made. Otherwise, the flight suit will probably stay stock. I bought mine a size larger than I’d normally need because if you’re moving around, a tighter flight suit can make flexible movement a little tough. Keep in mind, that a tighter flight suit LOOKS cooler and is fine when you’re just sitting in a cockpit (been there – done that – in prop and jet fighters and bombers as well as military helicopters) but if you moving around a lot, you want freedom of movement. I also scored a more used one that fits a little more “Hollywood” style, I’ll probably bring that one as well. That one is getting a set of real NASA patches on it, to match my crew jacket (pictured below, but the US flag patch has since been replaced with the correct larger white-bordered one that I’ve swapped out on everything).
Boomerang wrote:3. Off hours adults are allowed to leave the camp property and can go to town or can stay around the camp to sleep, just look around after hours or just get to know your teammmates if they stay around. One poplular option alot of adults enjoy and if you have any vetran atendees i'm sure you'll hear about is an ATO Abort To Otters. Otters is the bar next door to the camp at the Marriott hotel. Adults are free to go theor after hours it is a hotel bar so it can be a little pricy but its convenient and within walking distance. A warning here you will exit and reenter the camp through the security office. If an adult drinks too much and is visibly intoxicated to excess security will tell you to find somewhere else to stay for the night.
I got the whole, “stagger home drunk out of my mind” thing out of my system before many of the people on this forum were born, but thanks for the advice. I’m not nearly the drinker now, so there’s no issue there. It probably would be good to get ‘off the reservation’ at least one of the nights, though.
Boomerang wrote:4. I honestly don't remember the hours but i believe we were done by about 10 -10:30 each night maybe someone else can help you out here.
Wow, long day. Sounds like I’ll get my money’s worth if that’s the case, good to know.
Boomerang wrote:5. I have found the opposite to be true. Most adults you run into would rather be in your place. Many don't even know their is an adult space camp. I've even been asked if i was an astronaut once when i was in a gift shop in my flight suit.
I’m used to that. I have a blue crew jacket I wear out in public (again, pictured below) and I’ve been mistaken for a real astronaut on several occasions, I guess because I have that ‘look’ that many of the current astronaut group seems to have (and I’m in their age range). That, and the fact I have the bearing of a former soldier, which I am.
Boomerang wrote:8. I believe most of the information and forms they use to mail out are now all on the website for download viewing or printing.
They either do a great job of hiding it, assume you have no questions, or I’m over thinking everything (either of which is likely, I guess). Filling out the needed forms was easy. I guess I’ll just figure out everything once I get there. For example, I could find nothing that talked about adults being housed in the hab or even what the programs are for the 3-day experience. The only thing I could find much on the adult experience at all was this detailed blog. I’ve since been in contact with the writer, who has told me he’s working on trying to get a 8-day adult camp going: http://www.ninfinger.org/models/PhilsSp ... 20One.html Right after camp, I’ll be driving to my parent’s place in Florida to meet me wife who will fly in that day, then we’re going to do a drive all the way across the country. So, I’ll be prepared for just about anything as I’ll be packed for that trip while I’m at camp.
Here’s the jacket I mentioned:
Skidmark

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

This beinmg the first year they eliminated the adult week long program and went with just the three day program i'm not sure if it will bethe typical 3 day adult program of the past which used Space Academy level equipment still good stuff just with less learning curveor thay have done some hybrid of the week long and weekend program for adults.
If they are following the old 3 day model and using academy equipment you may be one of the first here to use the new equipment installed last year please make sure to take pictures and bring us back some details
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

They either do a great job of hiding it, assume you have no questions, or I’m over thinking everything (either of which is likely, I guess).
If you go to www.spacecamp.com and go to 'resources', you'll see an option for Trainee Guides. I'm not sure what questions you have, but probably most of them (as far as logistics go) will be answered in those two guides. Obviously the rules for the adults are more lenient.

Boomerang's answer about the hours was pretty spot on. Some days will be shorter than others, but with the program being 3 days long the days will be packed full. You'll get your money's worth!
A bunch of adults in tight quarters like that.
It will hinge on how many other people will here the weekend you're here, but generally we try to only put 3 or 4 adults to a room for that very reason. We do want you to come back! :wink:

If you have any questions Jason and I haven't answered and the program guides don't cover, don't hesitate to call Camper Services. 256-721-7185.
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

street wrote:
They either do a great job of hiding it, assume you have no questions, or I’m over thinking everything (either of which is likely, I guess).
If you go to www.spacecamp.com and go to 'resources', you'll see an option for Trainee Guides. I'm not sure what questions you have, but probably most of them (as far as logistics go) will be answered in those two guides. Obviously the rules for the adults are more lenient.
Boomerang's answer about the hours was pretty spot on. Some days will be shorter than others, but with the program being 3 days long the days will be packed full. You'll get your money's worth!
A bunch of adults in tight quarters like that.
It will hinge on how many other people will here the weekend you're here, but generally we try to only put 3 or 4 adults to a room for that very reason. We do want you to come back! :wink:
If you have any questions Jason and I haven't answered and the program guides don't cover, don't hesitate to call Camper Services. 256-721-7185.
Thanks for the info! I don’t think I’d have found those guides without your response as the website is crammed with stuff.
Good to know they don’t normally try to stuff seven adults into those rooms. It’s been a while since I had to live in such tight quarters with several people, but that was when I was still active duty. At camp there won’t be nearly the issues I had then!
I’m curious how many groups of kids will be there at that point, if any. School will in session for many people by then, so I would think the adult groups will have the hab mostly to themselves? I’m thinking of a tired, cranky group of over-the-hill campers having to listen the dull roar of kids being at camp until the wee hours of the morning (not really an issue for me as I sleep like a rock once I’m out and have slept through an artillery barrage once).
It’s a shame you can’t find out who you’re going to be grouped with ahead of time. I get a feeling that I will be in the minority in that I’ve never been to Space Camp (or Huntsville at all for any reason) before.
Skidmark

street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

For what week are you signed up? In September we have two weekends with no other people except the Adult Academy. The other groups attending are a mix of adults and children. Their activities will end before the adult activities do, so they'll be in bed and quiet before you come in for the evening. We are very firm about lights out and there shouldn't be any sort of 'dull roar' of kids from 10 PM until 7 AM, when everybody gets up. We usually have more trouble from the adult campers! :lol:

You won't be in the minority coming to camp for the first time. Most of our adult and child campers are first timers, although you wouldn't know it from reading this forum. Be ready to have a great time and make new friends. Even if you are the only 'newby', you'll be pulled into the group quickly.
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

What’s up with all the duct tape references in this forum? In the Army, we never went anywhere without a OD green or camouflage version called, “Hundred Mile an Hour” tape, but for the life of me I can’t think of any practical use for it at Space Camp. I understand that taping people to chairs is a popular pastime for the kids, but the last time I saw an adult try that (also, in the Army), he lost several teeth and had his nose broken by the person he was trying to tape up. Is tape really needed for the adult camp?
street wrote:For what week are you signed up? In September we have two weekends with no other people except the Adult Academy.
September 7-9. The reason I’m getting to go is my wife and I are planning a cross-country sightseeing road trip starting at my parent’s place in North Florida and ending at our house in the Pacific Northwest. I was able to get Space Camp into the plan before the trip. I’m flying into Atlanta one or two days ahead of time, going up through Chattanooga to see some historical sights (and get new material for some magazine articles I’ve sold the ideas for already), then to Huntsville. For most people, a return home is what follows Space Camp. For me, it’s the very START of a very long trip. The tentative plan is to head West along I-10, through Texas and probably get to do the Johnson Space Center tour in Houston again along the route up through the center of the country. We also went to Kennedy Space Center last September as the GRAIL mission was launched.
Skidmark

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Timing can be crazy sometimes. I’d almost forgotten that when the news came out that Space Camp had first opened, I was in junior high and I asked my Mom to put some NASA patches onto a shirt I had to make it ‘sort of’ look like the suits I saw campers wearing on the news. I had a NASA ‘meatball’ and a STS-7 patch on it along with a nametape my uncle had given me. It looked cheesy, I’d bet, and there are no photos I know of where I’m wearing it, but I do remember wearing it a lot.
Recently, I decided I was going to get my own Camp flight suit ahead of time and found one cheaply off eBay. It had the 25th anniversary patch where the triangle shuttle one normally used to be, so I took that off and decided to put a more correct NASA ‘meatball’ patch below it to replace the one that was there. The very next day, I was looking through some of my old Army patches in my collection (my primary hobby is researching and collecting US WW2 stuff) and I found the very same patches she’d put on that shirt back in 1982! 8O I’d already found an International Space Station patch to put where the camp anniversary patch was, but I felt that my old NASA patch just HAD to go on that sleeve, it was a moral imperative to me! So my flight suit will look a little different from everyone else’s but not too much so. This is the only modification other than me putting on a correct color of velcro for the nameplate patch and removing the brand name patch off the left side chest zipper.
street wrote:In September we have two weekends with no other people except the Adult Academy. The other groups attending are a mix of adults and children.
Is September 7-9 one of these ‘no kids’ weekends? I’m perfectly fine with dealing with the kids, just getting a feel for what I should expect.
street wrote:We are very firm about lights out and there shouldn't be any sort of 'dull roar' of kids from 10 PM until 7 AM, when everybody gets up. We usually have more trouble from the adult campers! :lol:
Oh, I can imagine the trouble adults must get into from time to time. I will have to remind myself that I’m not in ‘government employee’ mode while I’m there. Whenever I deployed somewhere I was always counted on to back up my soldiers who came up with the craziest ways to spend their times. I considered it a good way to expend youthful energy as long as it wasn’t destructive. I can also see some married folks getting a little nuts at the local bars and trying to stumble back into camp at night (every time I went to a service school away from my home post, the reservists would often go out and get drunk every single night).
Skidmark

street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

I'm going to throw this out here. Remember, rules exist because at some point someone has broken it! :?

Not only do the security guards not let you back on campus if you are intoxicated, they will also not let you back on carrying alcohol. Yes, we had problems with this in the very near past. 8O
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

street wrote:I'm going to throw this out here. Remember, rules exist because at some point someone has broken it! :?
Not only do the security guards not let you back on campus if you are intoxicated, they will also not let you back on carrying alcohol. Yes, we had problems with this in the very near past. 8O
I’m all for those rules. There’s NO reason you can’t go without booze for a few days, otherwise you probably should be going to a detox clinic instead of Space Camp! One of things that drove me nuts at my Army branch course (which was 6 months long) was that people were getting their drunk on almost every night, many were hung over every morning at PT. I got that kind of activity out of my system many years ago and was never a big drinker anyway.
Skidmark