Aviation Challenge-Mach I

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

katiescarlett
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Aviation Challenge-Mach I

Post by katiescarlett »

I'm sending my son this year-he doesn't know he's going yet....it's his Birthday surprise!

But I have been reading about what we need to pack besides what is on the list they send us.

The number one thing I'm getting is Duct Tape-my husband thinks this awesome :D

I know there are a few posts about this, but some are a few years old. Can anyone give me a few more updated ideas about what else he needs to bring? How much spending money per day? Did you all get flight suits? Did most kids get them/wear them? Is camo gear okay for daytime clothes? You get the idea....

To those older ones that have been....how did you all feel about being in a group of kids you had never met before? Did everyone get along pretty well? Help a worried Mom feel better about this please! I want to be able to assure myself he's not even thinking about us and home!

Thanks for any and all help!
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i worked at Aviation challenge with Mach 1 and 2 campers 5 years ago so this might be a little dated but i can tell you your son will have a great time.

Spending money really is a decision for you to make. their are gift shops on sight with a lot of things to spend money on. Also their are snack machines that tend to be a little more expensive than yopu find otherwise but thats a tourist atraction for you. The gift shops have clothes. models, patches, space and aviation stuff, toys, souvenir type stuff you get the idea.

Flight suit wise some campers get them some don't. what most quickly find out if they are there in summer is Alabama heat combined with a flight suit is really uncomfortable. I personally had one when i was a camper though and treasured it i still have it long past being able to wear it. It is a nice souvenir of the trip. That being said again depending on when he attends some weeks they wont let camper's wear flight suits if it gets toop hot and sometimes it does but not every week. They would still have it to take hope as a great souvenir though and personaly i recomend getting one.

Clothing wise for the week i would suggest for summer i'd suggest packing for hot weather. shorts t-shirts sun screen definately the bathing suit as the packing list says. Alabama can be blistering hot in summer by that i mean the summer i worked their there were whole weeks of tripple digit days again not every week but it does happen. Packing camoulflage clothes is fine and he wont likely be the only one to have them. They atleast when i worked there gave every camper in mach 1 and 2 a woodland camoulflage top to wear during the week and most did wear them as well. If you would prefer his own though instead of one thats worn every week but washed then i doubt anyone would have a problem with it. And it will come in handy for some of the activities where camoulflage is useful.

To try to set your mind at ease on some things. I've been on the camper and counselor side of things. This is Space Camp's 30th year and believe me they will take good care of your son. The counselors are top notch. they are assigned to the program tey are working with because its what they are most comfortable with. They have all been through an extensive training that believe me not everyone gets through. Most are college students studying engineering, sciences, or especially at Aviation challenge something in the aviation field. Some are former military, some are in ROTC in college which helps to give the military feel for Aviation Challenge. They are trained in first aid as well as how to operate every piece of equipment used they have been through everything the kids do as well. Their are also nurses on site though i rarely saw them used for anything more than minor bumps and bruises but i saw them save a man who had a heart attack in the museum as well they are well trained.

In my experience most of the groups get along very well though their are always exceptions. Most have a shared intrest in aviation in this case some have been there before others will be first timers. They caome from a variety of backgrounds and locations even from other countries. Your son will likely make some friends he will have for years to come i know i did.

some campers do get homesick its hard to predict but believe me all the counselors have dealt with it at somepoint. Make sure to let him know to call you when he arrives if you are not traveling with him. and this is the part thats tough on parents. Some campers wont call again during the week because they are having too much fun. Some may call every night to tell you all about it. If he is flying down by himself and he does not call the first night and some dont even though they are told to, Don't panic if a child has not arrived who is scheduled to the camp will call the parents as soon as possible to check to make sure the child is still coming. They will also check with the airlines etc and someone will meet them at the airport when they arrive. If they have not called home simply call camper services and leave a message which will be delivered to them at the next available meal to have them call home. Camper services can also confirm their arrival. Only reason i bring this up is we had some parents call when i worked there who were in an absolute panic depsite our assurances.

I hope this helps if you have other questions please ask.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Boomerang covered a lot of things already (thanks Jason!), but I want to expound on a few.

I recommend around $20 in singles for vending machine privileges. Most crew trainers (counselors) will reward their team with a trip to the machines for a job well done or good team work. There is some mystic appeal towards Dippin' Dots!

As far a gift shop/souvenir money, I highly recommend putting his spending money on his account. When he arrives at camp he will receive a plastic, waterproof wristband with his name, team and room assignments and a barcode. The barcode will access any money on his account, allowing him to spend that money in the gift shop and at the concession stand at the IMAX theater (which he will attend at least once during the week). The amount you put on his account is completely up to you. You can go on the Space Camp website and take a look at the prices of selection of the items available in the gift shop.

There are a few optional things you can order and pay for in advance, such as his flight suit or clothing package, his team patch and a DVD of photos taken of his team all week. As Jason mentioned, the flight suit is a wonderful souvenir, but won't be worn during the middle of summer when it is very hot. The team patch is an awesome souvenir. As a mom, I highly recommend it! The team chooses a design from 9 set designs, then the last name of every one on the team is embroidered around the outside. It's a pretty good deal for less than $15! The photo DVD is another thing to consider. Each Crew Trainer is issued a camera for their team. The CT takes photos of the activities throughout the week. These are then downloaded and burned onto DVDs which can be preordered, purchased at graduation or ordered later (we still have almost all the original DVDs since we started that program). Kids bring their own cameras to camp, but when you put a camera in the hands of a 10 year old boy you're just a likely to get 50 photos of the inside of his left nostril as you are of his camp experience!! :wink:

What to pack: be sure to pack things that you won't mind never seeing again. He will have wonderful adventures in survival and crawling around in the woods on his belly. Sometimes the clothes are beyond salvage by the end of the week! Send old sneakers too, for the very same reason. It makes my heart ache when parents send their children with all new clothes for camp! Also, do not send him with his Gameboy, etc. First off, he won't have time to use it during camp. We keep them busy from sun up to well past sun down. There is no 'down time' for our kids. Secondly, it's an easy item to lose. I'm amazed at the parents/kids who never call looking for the $$$ game that got left behind. Last year we donated 4 Nintendo DS's to a local charity. They'd been sitting in lost and found for over a year! Be sure to label everything he brings with him. Put both his first and last name.

As Jason said, our Crew Trainers are wonderfully trained to take care of your son and help him have an amazing experience. He will be teamed and housed only with boys of his own age range. If he's 9 you don't have to worry about him having to uphold himself in a pack of high schoolers. He'll be with other 9-11 year olds. The activities are geared to that age group.

Always feel free to call Camper Services at Space Camp (256-721-7185) with any questions or concerns.
Living the dream
katiescarlett
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by katiescarlett »

Thanks for the ideas and tips guys! I know he will have the best time in the world with you all. We are driving to camp and picking him up, so the transfers are not an issue with us. I have no problem with him not calling us(I think-lol) as long as it's 'cause he is too busy having fun. Thanks for the money ideas. We will start calculating now-haha! I know this will be a trip he never forgets. If anyone else thinks of anything else, feel free to add your two cents! We are looking forward to an awesome adventure for him. :D