Advice for a First Timer?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

GoAskAimzy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Advice for a First Timer?

Post by GoAskAimzy »

Hey everyone! I"m new here to HAB1. I'm attending ASA from Aug 14-19 later this summer. I was wondering if anyone could share any advice for a first timer. That would be great! Thanks! :D

P.S. Thanks so much for helping me set up the account again Vincent!!!
Revan
Camper
Camper

Re: Advice for a First Timer?

Post by Revan »

Hey, friend. Here's some tips that I've found very useful:

http://habforum.hab1.com/viewtopic.php?t=1122

http://habforum.hab1.com/viewtopic.php?t=1199

In addition, I have some personal tips for you.

1. Always bond with your team mates. Space Camp is 10% Space and 90% finding a new family.

2. Vending machine above the UAE sells juice for dirt cheap. Take advantage of it.

3. Please, for the love of GOD, be mischevious.

4. Talk late into the night.

5. Communication is clear on any mission.

6. Talk to Dr. von Tiesenhausen personally. Get a picture with him, get his autograph. He is an awesome, awesome man with awesome lectures and an awesome story to tell. You will not regret it. If you don't know who he is, he was a member of Dr. Werhner von Braun (the creator of Space Camp)'s rocket team that defected from Nazi Germany to the United States.

7. In reference to the above tip, DO NOT ask Dr. von T about World War II, Hitler, Nazism, or anything even remotely related to that period of time.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Last edited by Revan on Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Space Camp 2005, Team Aldrin.
Space Academy 2008, Team Charon
ASA 2009, Team Von Tiesenhausen
12 Day ASA 2010, Team Liberty Bell
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Advice for a First Timer?

Post by DanM »

Revan wrote:6. Talk to Dr. von Tiesenhausen personally. Get a picture with him, get his autograph. He is an awesome, awesome man with awesome lectures and an awesome story to tell. You will not regret it. If you don't know who he is, he was a member of Dr. Werhner von Braun (the creator of Space Camp)'s rocket team that defected from Nazi Germany to the United States.

7. In reference to the above tip, DO NOT ask Dr. von T about World War II, Hitler, Nazism, or anything even remotely related to that period of time.
Would he be mad if I spoke German to him? I've taken two years of German at school.
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
Revan
Camper
Camper

Post by Revan »

I wouldn't think so, so long as you ask him if he still speaks it.
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

Drink lots of water on outdoor days.
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
GoAskAimzy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by GoAskAimzy »

Thanks so much for all this great info Revan!

bnaviar, I have a question. Should I bring a refillable water bottle? Will there be places to refill it throughout the day or will I need to buy water? Thanks! :]
ASA- Aug. 14-19, 2011
Team Von Tiesenhausen --- L4-15
Revan
Camper
Camper

Post by Revan »

GoAskAimzy wrote:Thanks so much for all this great info Revan!

bnaviar, I have a question. Should I bring a refillable water bottle? Will there be places to refill it throughout the day or will I need to buy water? Thanks! :]
You're very welcome. :) Since Bnavair hasn't answered in a while, I'll go ahead and answer your question.

Waterbottles are fine to bring; however, they can be a hassle to bring around. I highly suggest investing in a CamelBak. It allows you to bring water around with you wherever you go, along with storing your things that you might want to bring with you, such as your Space Camp journal, paper, writing utensils, etc...

~Revan
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

What he said . :D
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I brought a small shoulder bag (backpack) that held my camera, water bottle, notebook, pens, duct tape, sunscreen, etc. There are drinking fountains around campus. Also, the cafeteria workers will refill your water bottle with water (and ice) if asked nicely. (At least they did for me.)

CamelBacks (reservoir systems) are really great for outdoor activities, yet may not be the most convenient when you're in the simulators. Just my experience.

As always, be sure to completely empty any water bottles or reservoir systems BEFORE you get to the airport. Chugging 2L of water at security isn't pleasant... :oops:
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
GoAskAimzy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by GoAskAimzy »

Thanks again Revan, bnaviar and SpaceCanada! That's some great info right there! I'm incredibly excited, since school is almost over and its about 2 months away... :]

DanM, I'm glad to see a fellow ASA attendee this year, but I wish we could have been in the same session... :(

I just realized that I'm going to be there for the Hall of Fame Induction weekend... So that should be fun... I was also wondering how much money I should put on my giftcard/ bracelet thing. And do we have to pay for the special museum exhibitions beforehand? Thanks again everyone!
ASA- Aug. 14-19, 2011
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

So the Hall of Fame is back on for Aug 19/20? What's the latest on this? Nothing has been announced to my knowledge. It's not on the Space Camp event calendar either. I don't think we're having a hall of fame event this year :(

http://www.spacecamp.com/mu/calendar/20 ... %2F2011-08
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I asked about this yesterday on facebook. They said their would be an announcement made today sometime. I'm getting the impression their wont be one this year.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Vincent posted about it yesterday. Check www.hab1.com homepage for the details.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Revan
Camper
Camper

Post by Revan »

GoAskAimzy wrote: I was also wondering how much money I should put on my giftcard/ bracelet thing. And do we have to pay for the special museum exhibitions beforehand? Thanks again everyone!
Allow yourself around fifteen to twenty dollars a day for spending money if you've got it; if not, be frivolous and do about ten. That'll cover costs for vending machines and anything else interesting you might happen to find. As for the giftshop at the end, I usually bring about fifty. One year I splurged myself and bought one of the hundred-dollar flight jackets (which I do not regret in the least).

As far as I know, you have to pay for special exhibits beforehand. Ask a counselor or someone on here for confirmation, though. I know that Digger could tell you.

~Revan
MusicalDog14
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by MusicalDog14 »

Um, I got back from my first year in June. I would highly, suggest bringing your cell phone, if you plan to have contact with family. If you dont, bond with campers to use theirs! Also, the beds arnt the plushest things in the world. If yo u are a deep, fast sleeper, fine, if not, bring a mattress pad. Bring LOTS of money for vending machines. The food is edible, but...you get the point. Otherwise, have fun! I know I did!
GoAskAimzy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by GoAskAimzy »

Thanks to everybody for all their help and advice about camp! I'm leaving in a week!!! :D Soooo excited!

I was wondering, if anyone has an last minute advice right before I go. Thanks so much in advance! :)
ASA- Aug. 14-19, 2011
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Take LOTS and LOTS of pictures!!! You will be so glad you did later on.

Also, be sure to get everyone's contact info so you can keep in touch!!

And encourage all of your teammates to sign up here at HAB1.com when they get home!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
GoAskAimzy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by GoAskAimzy »

Hey everyone! I'm leaving for camp early tomorrow morning! I'd like to thank everyone for their help, and I'll talk to you all when I get back! :)
ASA- Aug. 14-19, 2011