Cell Phones-To Bring or not to bring?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Cell Phones-To Bring or not to bring?

Post by DanM »

I've seen a lot of debate over this on the forum and have seen conflicting things at camp. The first year I went (SC), nobody had one, but me and several other campers used MP3 players all we wanted at night.

On my second trip (SA), they had a more strict message on electronics. They said don't use them at all, but it wasn't enforced, and councelors told me I could just use my iPod at night (which was the only time I wanted it). I saw a kid in my bay using his phone.

Now I'm going again, but I really don't want to have to go through the process of waiting in line and using my calling card. I'm also flying alone, and I will need to be able to call my parents in case anything happens.

I have a cheapo phone, so it's not the end of the world if it's lost or stolen. If I'm only using it to call family before I go to bed, is it a problem?

Thank You
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

Most kids have a cell to call home at night. You are not supposed to have it during the day. If any of my kids had it I'd just tell them to put it away. I never really had problems with kids and cells. I never had any kids lose a cell. The little kids tend to lose wallets etc. So basically, bring it but lock it in your locker and you won't have any problems.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

That was all I planned to use it for. Thank you!
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
digger931
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by digger931 »

Perfect answer Monketnautt!
Michael "Digger" Hall
MusicalDog14
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by MusicalDog14 »

Of course, bring it! I got back in June. As long as you only use it at night. I dont know about ipods, but I wouldnt be hard to sneak... I flew alone, and TRUST me , parents Always want to know if you are ok. I would bring it.